2020 Champagne: Houston, we have a problem?

Thanks for the extensive explanation Brad. I am not entirely averse to the 2015 grassy note, so will likely dip my toes into 2020 to see what’s up.

1 Like

Will be interesting to see if this can be found in the big names too.

Louis Michel didn’t seem affected. I tried the village and Séchets. I’ll keep my tastebuds on alert for the next ones.

2 Likes

I’ve had the unpleasant green asparagus-esque note in a number of 2020 Chablis from various producers and am actively avoiding the vintage. It was been especially obvious when comparing with a 2019 or 2021 from same producer.

3 Likes

Are people finding this in other white Burgundy from 2020, or just Chablis?

Pretty sure that Jim Cowan has noted some weird things in a couple of bottles of 2020 Michel.

Now you’re freaking me out. @Jim_Cowan, any recollection of this and if so, any particular climate from Louis Michel?

Edit
Those were the only 2020 reviews from Jim I could find:

Looks like Houston can take this Domaine off their radar.

Given the predominance of machine harvesting and the aspiration to produce generous yields, if any white Burgundy sub-region is going to be herbaceous, it’s going to be Chablis.

2 Likes

I had difficulty with the 2020 Michel, Butteaux (not VV) and it was consistent over a case. The village wine was as described in the noted quote - whether it still is or not I don’t know.
But suffice to say, I’m not buying anymore 2020 from Louis Michel.

1 Like

We bought a mixed case - MdT, Montmains and Butteaux VV - but haven’t opened any. I hope we don’t have the same experience.

1 Like

The village was fine when I had it (end of March, end of April). The Séchets was also fine in end of April. I’ve got some Forêts, Montée de Tonnerre and Les Clos. I’ll check in on all 3 as soon as we’re back home in late May / early June.

I think that with the idea that we need to “check” three year old wines, we are getting a touch carried away… Age them for as long as you usually would, then see what you think. The wines showed well just after bottling, the vintage conditions were good, the fruit looked and tasted good… have a bit of faith. I would be more concerned about the natural cork closures, personally.

5 Likes

Maybe. But i always check in on wines early in their life anyways. I haven’t checked in on those, only the Village and Séchets. So, in this case I’m not creating exceptional circumstances, I’m just putting them to the front of the line. You “check” wines prior to bottling so I think 3 years is also a good time to check :grin:. Obviously, I won’t empty the bottles down the drain if they exhibit an unwanted flavor profile but i sure won’t buy any more.

1 Like

Somewhere, maybe here, I heard that Michel is going to Diam - not sure if for all cuvées but I think so.

Looks like Diam 5 on Village and Petit Chablis and natural cork on 1er and Grand Crus (from the technical sheets). As you said, not sure if he’s going Diam on all cuvées in the future.

1 Like

Thank you WK.

I’ve tried both the MdT and Butteaux VV from L Michel in 2020 and neither exhibited anything I would call ‘green’. Its quite amazing that a note from T Theise about Champagne in 2020 would cause some bizarre rush to check in on specific Chablis bottlings.

I love Louis Michel. I buy the Montée de Tonnerre and Grenouilles almost every vintage, and add Butteaux Vieilles Vignes, Les Clos and Vaudésir in good vintages. I’ve only ordered two Montée de Tonnerre and Grenouilles from 2020. I think I’ll open one of each before deciding whether to buy anything else. Thanks for the early warning.

Bizarre, you say?
Thread drift around here is bizarre?
I thought this was all stream of consciousness/tumbling tumbleweed discussion.
My bad,:sunglasses:

1 Like

We recently tried some of the 2020 champagne releases, and we did not notice any grassy or hay-like notes. Personally, I prefer the 2019 champagne due to its higher level of acidity/freshness, while the 2020 vintage tends to be richer. However, it is worth noting that the champagne we sampled was tasted close to the degorgement process and is still too young to make any definitive statements about its taste profile.

At Wine Berserkers, all threads lead to Burgundy

1 Like