Wine fraud movie: "Sour Grapes"

Koch has a nice home

well, I know what I’ll be watching tonight!!

Just finished watching it. Koch comes across as purely a trophy hunter. He could give a shit what’s in the bottle. All he knows is it’s old and expensive. His cellar is however beautiful.

The film does not show much of the elite wine community in a very favorable light. It basically proves the point that a fool and his money are soon parted and Rudy ran a very successful con.

I’m watching it now, its very well done. Is Jef Levy who is featured in the movie Jeff Leve from the board?

No.

I saw it last night, and even though I knew the story thanks to the 160+ pages here, I still found it fascinating. It was interesting to see Rudy in action working his long con. It was fun to put faces to names, especially for other board members. Bill Koch definitely has a nice cellar, and Laurent Ponsot was nothing like I was expecting; more like a Gallic Cary Grant than a stereotypical Burgundian farmer.

I kept thinking the exact same thing last night…

I am not finding the movie on Netflix. ?

Yep, it’s on there. Just search “Sour Grapes”

Enjoyed watching it last night. Very little new information gleaned from the movie, but it was interesting seeing the clips of Rudy. He actually seemed like a nice guy.

How were there so many videos taken of Rudy during dinners? I don’t recall that happening often, if ever, on wine dinners, as it seems rather awkward for someone to record video constantly during an event

Just watching it.

Obviously Kapon is a prick, but at least he is making money off fools. Hollywood Jeff otoh is both a prick and a fool people make money off…

Wondered the same thing.

I think there was a food network styled pilot show that was being filmed following Rudy. Which is where they got the footage from.

What was it like sifting through the archival footage of Kurniawan?
We were very lucky to get hold of this footage which was shot in 2002 by a producer in LA who was making a pilot for a wine show. He followed Rudy for a few days to dinners, an auction, and a couple of tastings. What was interesting about the material was that in 2002, we knew that Rudy was just beginning to fake wine, so [in the film] you’re seeing him right at the beginning of his counterfeiting career. In it, he lets some crazy confessions loose.

Makes sense

who was the younger looking guy in the backseat of the car drinking with Jeff?

Wow, Laurent Ponsot made quite an effort. Impressive. He is a hero. It had to take a lot of time and effort.

Good to see you posting again sir ! Hope you are well.

Just watched, good to have more details about a story I only loosely followed during the unraveling.

Interestingly, they very briefly showed copies of the invoices, but didn’t go into detail about why Rudy was buying pallets of old Patriarche…