Wine fraud movie: "Sour Grapes"

I enjoyed the DC screening and Q&A with Maureen, too! Really appreciated her no-fuss responses after the film and it’s fascinating how much video footage of Rudy there was available for the filmmakers. Looking forward to when the film hits Netflix so I can view it again.

Any idea when this is headed to Netflix?

I think sometime in late November (or sometime there after) based on the first post from Todd in this thread:

Saw the movie last week. After watching Rudy in the flick, I find it hard to fathom how a seemingly unsecure guy like Rudy was able to win the trust of so many wine enthusiast.

I too was fascinated about the “lumber” crowd and wanted to believe in the near miraculous re-emergances of forgotten bottles. I too believe that Rudy must have been merely a part of a more elaborate ring and while I thought, I’d never fall into the trap of being fooled into drinking fakes, my encounter with the white club was a true wake up call.

While some producers are starting to take serious precautions against fraud using prooftag and various similar methods, I’m appaled by those that don’t.

Why do you have some oxidized basic medoc in your kitchen cabinet? [cheers.gif]

Is there going to be a more general release to theaters before appearing on Netflix?

The New Yorker is out with a review (and also reports a November launch date for Netflix):

I finally have the info on the Sour Grapes film showing in Calgary by Hot Docs.
It is being hosted by Doc Soup which is in partnership with the Calgary international Film Festival

Date: November 2st, 2016, 7:00 PM
Location: Eau Claire Market, 200 Barclay Parade SW #200, Calgary, AB T2P 4R5, Canada

Tickets can be purchased here:
http://www.calgaryfilm.com/films/2016/november-doc-soup-sour-grapes

Looking forward to meeting some of you.
Shall we pop some corks afterwards?
Cheers,
Maureen

I’ll bring the Liberty Bay Merlot. Maybe someone else can bring the oxidized Medoc.

Sorry I missed the DC showing.

I would love to replicate some of Rudy’s recipes, but unfortunately Liberty Bay Merlot isn’t available on Winesearcher. We should have a Rudy’s recipes thread!

Some may disagree, but I think it’s outrageous that Rudy got such a long prison sentence while his known enablers, who may have profited as much or more than he did from the fraud, got off scot-free without even a fine.

Marcus, I agree with you. Proving anything might be difficult.
Some of the insiders probably knew, but can you prove they knew for sure??

At the very least they should be embarrassed.

[video removed by admin]
Some footage from a Q&A from the DOC NYC showing of Sour Grapes on November 14, 2016.

A heart-wrenching tale of some rich people who bought fake wine but don’t worry they were still rich after that but it was the crime of the century.

Your post is funny, but since someone is going to say it I will beat them to it: I guess crimes against rich people don’t matter.

That’s like saying if a quadriplegic gets beaten senseless with a bat it’s no big deal since he couldn’t walk anyways.

Have they announced when it will be released on Netflix?

merging threads

i haven’t double checked that it’s there, but it was supposed to be released TODAY (Nov. 18)…

and thanks to Mark for posting this video … I saw Maureen speak after the DC screening, so hearing from the others behind the scenes is a perfect complement.

hoping to rewatch the film again this weekend (if it indeed was released today as expected).

[Editing to add (because it got lost in the merger, I think)] I just signed into Netflix and the film is there for your viewing pleasure. [cheers.gif]

Mark, you’ve been asked by a moderator to remove your website URL from the video, and this, being your very first post, doesn’t bode well for the anti-shilling rules here, so I’m removing the video…and merging threads

Yes, it’s on Netflix now!

Watching Sour Grapes now - nearly half way in - and I really want to punch Kapon in the mug.