Wine bid for Prum lovers

Definitely not the reason!

Also - we bank with SVB and I can tell you that it was nothing more than 36 hours of panic. It has no affect and they are and were lending weeks after the change. Even the debt was replaced without question.

German wine in general with the exception of maybe Julian Haart (which no one is deep enough for it to move the needle in an insolvency issue) will not be the first to go. First is always DRC!

Actually for us, focusing on Germany is a lot of fun as not that many retailers put a strong percentage of inventory into it. It’s a smaller demographic who are crazy for Riesling, but we love it and we love to have the bottles for when you need to restock or be able to buy 90 bottles of Keller for your collection lol

2 Likes

I perused your site the other day and was amazed. If I had the funds some others have I could have started a Keller collection that day and had one of the best collections out there :). At this moment I have to stick to the Prum level and below in terms of prices but I can’t wait until I can fill up a cart with Keller in the future

Check out the RR and Von Der Fels - they are spectacular and 1/4 of the GG prices.

I think the RR, if you like Prum is the way to go and you are looking at around 70ish for it. The VdF about 50-60 depending on vintage.

1 Like

Why is that? Is the mix of sugars changing? I love old rieslings when they get to that delicate point where the sweetness seems to have faded. I find them ethereal. But I don’t understand what brings that about.

1 Like

That’s a good question. I don’t have an answer to that.

They certainly taste less sweet with substantial age, particularly the lower level wines (e.g., Kabinetts and QbAs).

1 Like

There was a good thread on this topic in 2015[<–link], which I’d forgotten about, though I posted there.

I think by the end of the thread there was something of a consensus that there is some change in the sugars, though the measurable amount of sugar remains unchanged.

To the extent there was agreement there, I think Charlie summed it up most concisely:

6 Likes

It’s interesting to me that this subject hasn’t been studied in more depth. Maybe the answer is too simple and I am just not educated enough on the subject. I would love to know exactly why this happens. This explanation appears to be fairly sound lacking any supporting data set. It’s a very interesting topic though,

2 Likes

I’d have to ask someone like Ulli Stein, who is not only a winemaker and knows chemistry but also has a Ph.D. in biology at the University of Geisenheim.

4 Likes

Thank you for digging up and posting this!! :heart_on_fire:

2 Likes

You people made me buy a bunch of 375s this past Sunday. Shame on you.

2016 H. Donnhoff Niederhauser Hermannshohle Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel #13, 375ml
2017 H. Donnhoff Niederhauser Hermannshohle Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel #18, 375ml
2019 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel #20, 375ml
1995 Laurel Glen Sonoma Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon
2012 Schloss Lieser Niederberg Helden Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel #12, 375ml
2015 Willi Schaefer Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Auslese #4, 375ml
2012 Willi Schaefer Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Auslese #9, 375ml

3 Likes

Wouldn’t have happened if you had properly focused on the Super Bowl.

That 2017 Donnhoff GKA is incredible.

1 Like

Maureen,
Why are you blaming the victim?

1 Like

I never remember when that’s happening

I hear the Chefs were favored to win?

1 Like

Don’t know if they were favored by the oddsmakers … but they won!

I haven’t had the 2017 but a 2021 last year was amazing

The odds swung the other way with Gordon Ramsay out with a pulled forehead wrinkle

1 Like

You just have to remember it’s on the same day as the Puppy Bowl.

1 Like

It’s not a gold kap. All the Dönnhoff Auslese wines have gold capsules now, and Hermannshohle has for decades!