Wine bid for Prum lovers

I perused your site the other day and was amazed. If I had the funds some others have I could have started a Keller collection that day and had one of the best collections out there :). At this moment I have to stick to the Prum level and below in terms of prices but I can’t wait until I can fill up a cart with Keller in the future

Check out the RR and Von Der Fels - they are spectacular and 1/4 of the GG prices.

I think the RR, if you like Prum is the way to go and you are looking at around 70ish for it. The VdF about 50-60 depending on vintage.

1 Like

Why is that? Is the mix of sugars changing? I love old rieslings when they get to that delicate point where the sweetness seems to have faded. I find them ethereal. But I don’t understand what brings that about.

1 Like

That’s a good question. I don’t have an answer to that.

They certainly taste less sweet with substantial age, particularly the lower level wines (e.g., Kabinetts and QbAs).

1 Like

There was a good thread on this topic in 2015[<–link], which I’d forgotten about, though I posted there.

I think by the end of the thread there was something of a consensus that there is some change in the sugars, though the measurable amount of sugar remains unchanged.

To the extent there was agreement there, I think Charlie summed it up most concisely:

6 Likes

It’s interesting to me that this subject hasn’t been studied in more depth. Maybe the answer is too simple and I am just not educated enough on the subject. I would love to know exactly why this happens. This explanation appears to be fairly sound lacking any supporting data set. It’s a very interesting topic though,

2 Likes

I’d have to ask someone like Ulli Stein, who is not only a winemaker and knows chemistry but also has a Ph.D. in biology at the University of Geisenheim.

4 Likes

Thank you for digging up and posting this!! :heart_on_fire:

2 Likes

You people made me buy a bunch of 375s this past Sunday. Shame on you.

2016 H. Donnhoff Niederhauser Hermannshohle Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel #13, 375ml
2017 H. Donnhoff Niederhauser Hermannshohle Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel #18, 375ml
2019 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel #20, 375ml
1995 Laurel Glen Sonoma Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon
2012 Schloss Lieser Niederberg Helden Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel #12, 375ml
2015 Willi Schaefer Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Auslese #4, 375ml
2012 Willi Schaefer Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Auslese #9, 375ml

3 Likes

Wouldn’t have happened if you had properly focused on the Super Bowl.

That 2017 Donnhoff GKA is incredible.

1 Like

Maureen,
Why are you blaming the victim?

1 Like

I never remember when that’s happening

I hear the Chefs were favored to win?

1 Like

Don’t know if they were favored by the oddsmakers … but they won!

I haven’t had the 2017 but a 2021 last year was amazing

The odds swung the other way with Gordon Ramsay out with a pulled forehead wrinkle

1 Like

You just have to remember it’s on the same day as the Puppy Bowl.

1 Like

It’s not a gold kap. All the Dönnhoff Auslese wines have gold capsules now, and Hermannshohle has for decades!

I know that but it was a copy paste from winebid