William & Mary Wine Co.

Does anyone know if shipping is included ? I couldn’t find anywhere that it charged me as I was just trying to put through an order…

It was included on my order

Very cool. Congrats, Will. Odd question, but here it goes…when I went to law school at UVA in Charlottesville, there were TONS of Shiffletts in the area. The probably apocryphal story is that there was a Hessian mercenary soldier from the Revolutionary War who was captured and sent to prison camp in the area, but there basically weren’t any walls and he roamed around hooking up with local women until there were lots of progeny running around. Thus the many Shiffletts years later. I assume that’s not true, but is there a connection to the name of the vineyard and winery and Virginia?

What a great day - thank you all for your orders, interest and support. Not many have had the opportunity to try the wine, so I doubly appreciate the faith you all have in what I’m doing. If you are in the area please let me know, I’d love to run you through all the things I have going on.

I noticed a few questions upstream, here goes:

*shipping is included and weather permitting will start as soon as possible.

*Shifflett – good question, one I will have to ask over the next family dinner. My mother-in law is a Shifflett (one of five here in the Valley) and they have been on the property since the 40’s. Something about the midwest/Ohio rings a bell, but as a family really interesting, diverse history.

*Falltacular – was sad to miss this year but I’ll be there in 18 and I’ll see if I can sneak a bottle on to the tiny little countertop upstairs down the hall they keep for Cabernet [wow.gif]

Thanks Will that is a really nice gesture. I also appreciate that you took the time to pm me out of your busy day. With customer service like this you will go far. Order in !

Will,

Any discounts for alumni? [basic-smile.gif]

G. Ahearn
W&M, '73

Lol!!

Alumni get free shipping… along with everybody else!!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Something about the midwest/Ohio rings a bell, but as a family really interesting, diverse history.

Ha. I have run into Shiffletts in Marion, OH, one of whom was a very colorful bodily injury lawyer and former Viet Nam helicopter pilot, Dan Shifflett, now deceased. Congrats on everything Will. I am not a cab drinker, but I were…

My first thought…

\

wrubGTIrlk4

Congratulations, Will (and Molly)! Having your own wine is kind of like having a kid: your life will never be the same (as you know)!

When it gets close to harvest, bring by some fruit and we will compare flavors. I think it was 2015 when we did this…or maybe 2014. Where do the years go? [cheers.gif]

OK — I looked at the offer and was thinking about ordering when I read this thread.
So - I am in for three.
Good luck with the project Will. I look forward to trying some at the next Falltacular (weather permitting).

I had the 2014 last week and also tried barrels of the 15 and 16.

As I have seen with most 15 and 16s, they are raw and still works in progress, as are mine and many others I have tried. I am interested to try them again in 6-12 months or so.

Here are my thoughts on the 2014, which is his first release…

1. They do not taste like TRB wines, whether Schrader, Mayback or Rivers-Marie. So you are not getting a clone of any of those wines, stylistically.

2. The Cab is “estate” and from the hillsides of a cooler region, Oak Knoll, and is not as ripe as many super-high end releases. Moulds Vineyard is the same AVA as his wine, on the same hillside extention and I can see his estate from it. Thus, W&M has the “cool” climate (for Napa, anyway) imprint.

3. The 14 is all about texture. It has fruit, but is not a fruit bomb in any way. But I kept coming back to the texture, which I would describe as viscous and “oily”, and I mean that in a good way. I really, really liked the texture of this wine. It’s not a monster.

4. Like all new wine ventures, he is feeling his way to what he wants it to be and I expect evolution over time, so getting in now is essentially getting on board for the ride.

5. Its actually pretty rare to get an estate Cab for the entry-fee of $110 nowadays, especially with free shipping! Also, I like the fact that this is a true “family” operation. It’s a family estate, which is gorgeous btw, and he makes the wine and sells it. There is very little of it. Not many new operations come out like this anymore, as most are new $250 Cabs with Beckstoffer fruit. Those wineries increasingly become a blur, wineries like this do not.

6. The benefit of getting in now is that most people here already know Will. Obviously he has the training to do this, both from the winemaking side and the sales side, and he never has to worry about the fruit source going away. It is both stable… and small, a nice combination.

I am a biased source here, because I’ve known Will and Mol for over a decade, but these kind of permanantly small operations are what I like to get behind. The quality is there, as is the talent.

To me the most important reason for someone to collect new wines is … access. Frankly, quality is almost everywhere now, so what matters is buying wines where you can meet and learn from the owner/winemaker. Knowing that when you come out to Napa, you can meet with that person and feel connected. Connection matters.

For me, this is a work in progress, with a very good start, and likely to get better and better over time. I recommend getting in early and enjoying the ride.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the thorough analysis Roy.

One of the reasons I hesitate on new projects like this is that $110 seems to quickly turn into $125, and then $150+ within a few vintages. If I knew the pricing would stay close to $110 with free shipping for the foreseeable future I would be more inclined to take a chance.

A nice post, Mr. Piper.

I have not had any of Mr. Segui’s wines, but your comment about his 2014 struck me immediately. Vintage characteristic? Will’s vineyard source is pretty far from mine, but both Napa Valley. I sampled my 2014 with a few friends this weekend, and I noted that mouthfeel, which I characterized as glycerin-y. Bordering on a jolly-rancher combination of pure fruit with a clear viscosity." Oily?" I had not thought of that descriptor, but we are talking about the same thing. And not talking negative. Fruit and texture.

Would love to host you and Will for a 2014 comparative tasting…amongst friends. flirtysmile

Thank you Roy. I am happy I got a front row seat on day one, but as I eagerly await the arrival of the wines plus an appropriate settling period before tasting- it is good to read your comments and feel like I made a wise choice.

Your point on the rarity of a $110 price point for such a wine is quite right (and a nice surprise when the offering came- I had been bracing myself mentally for $250+). That and the lack of “big talk” on the website were quite refreshing, and suggest someone who is very eager to make really great wine and not just use the current cookie-cutter formula to start up a famous new winery and be “fantastic”.

By reputation the site and talent are there- but I think I respect and admire the motives best. Looking forward to the ride.

Had a bottle on Saturday night. Did not suck

My daughter is a freshman there so I guess that, as a good parent, I must buy some. :wink:

Opened a bottle of this last night not really sure what to expect. While $110 is certainly not inexpensive, this is one of the better Cabs I have had this year…and I would stack it against some Cali Cab I have had @ $250+ any day of the week.

Awesome stuff.

Really great to hear Matt!