Why do we not buy enough Champagne

I buy plenty of Champagne. Luckily it is the one type of wine that I can buy with impunity, and not get any push-back from my wife.

Another reason that I would attribute would be the unfortunate association with Champagne being a wine only for celebration or at best, an appertif. It’s the quintessential food wine in it’s ability to pair with virtually anything that is on the table.

+a lot.

I started getting bit by the Champagne bug a few years ago and have been buying a lot thanks to Envoyer. It now makes up 7-8% of my cellar and I only see this percentage growing.

In reference to the other thread on palate changes, I would never have thought my cellar would be made up of 36% white wines 6-7 years ago. This addiction is certainly an interesting journey.

In my case it is the false sense of security that given most production numbers it is always available at either retail or auction. Since it is “always” available then I rather allocate the cellar space to something else.

Just start buying more Alan; in the past 2 years my champagne consumption has gone up quite a bit. It is now my go to bottle more often than not. I really like Ruinart and Comtes but can’t afford to drink it every week so I seek out grower champagnes like Pierre Peters, Saves, Gimmonet, etc. I buy allot in the month of Dec because there are always lots of great sales going on.

As others noted, widespread availability of major producers leads you to think, well I don’t need to buy a bunch of [Dom 04, etc] now, I’ll wait until I find a good price, or see how it’s again, etc.

Also, with many wines released (or at least still available) 10+ years after the vintage date, there is a sense that the aging is done for you.

I have a lot of Champagne in the cellar. My wife adores it and is a must to start every wine related dinner. Buy a lot of magnums when available for long term aging. I think large format makes a bigger difference for Champagne then for still wines. The staples in my cellar:

Grand Marques:
Salon
Krug
Dom
Goisses
Tat Compte
Heidsieck Rare
LGD
Winston
B-S Cuvée Elisabeth

Growers:
Peters Chet
Selosse Initial
Bouchard single crus

Lots of champagne is always available, but if you want your champagne aged, as with most everything else you have to buy it and cellar it.

request all you want- as you said earlier, of the many great things about America, “one of the greatest… being free speech,” so kiss my American hole.

In answer to the OP: Simply because “our” consumption outweighs our purchases. Pretty simple.

Do you think you guys could knock off the BS? It is invading more and more threads. Tiresome and (I think) unnecessary (but I am not a moderator…oooh, now wouldn’t that be fun?) and counter-productive to encouraging discourse…about wine…

+1

For the vintage stuff, it is true that they are often released after 5-10 years of aging. But I’m still working on my '88s through '96s. I even like the NV/MV bottlings with 3 or more years in the cellar (even more for Krug). Have to keep the pipeline full.

champagne.gif

My wife has hinted (strongly) that I need to buy more and more Champagne.

Would you ladies and gentlemen please stop discussing the positive aspects of buying champagne? No need to bring more folks into the fold and increasing demand (therefore reducing supply)… [whistle.gif]

Don’t forget that champagne hangovers can be REALLY REALLY bad. Y’all should just stay away from the stuff… neener

I will also say that Champgne is a great way to end a meal: with dessert, instead of dessert, or after dessert. It’s a splendid palate refresher.

Yes. Before…during…after.

The best I have had recently is the Champagne Deutz Rose. Overpaid locally but it was $75 and gorgeous.

The Counselor was not allowed to open his bottle at our dinner at Corduroy in DC, or that perhaps might have been the best bottle in recent months.T

I wish mine would! I would drink a lot more except she is not fond of Champagne, or bubbles in general, for that matter. I still open one occasionally, usually to kick off a wine tasting or special dinners.

Isn’t champagne the best, it pairs with everything from lobster to hotdogs or is fantastic just by itself. I normally drink it after a meal but on ocassion pair it with a meal. I’d like to open a bottle tonight but have too much going on at work first thing in the morning. [head-bang.gif]

Rick, your words reminded me of Lily Bollinger’s:

“I drink Champagne when I’m happy and when I’m sad. Sometimes I drink it when I’m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I’m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it – unless I’m thirsty.”

No, let them keep up the Hatfields and McCoy thing - it’s kind of fun!

I used to use that type of logic on my family. It only worked once. [snort.gif]

I buy a lot of champagne, but don’t normally have more than 5-6 bottles in my cav at any given point. It’s because I drink it very often. Every wine lunch/dinner begins (and usually ends) with champagne.