Why do we not buy enough Champagne

Its weird.

I have always loved champagne but I never buy enough and never lay it down. I have started on a cellar about 5 years ago, I don’t have a single bubbly in there, what is it that somehow puts a block on buying champagne to lay down ? im happy buying loads of wines in the $50-100 range so its not money its just that somehow I don’t think of buying and aging champagne.

If I make a decision to change this how would you go about sourcing great grower or small producer champagne, is there some form of en primeur or direct access available ? or are you buying cases at retail when it comes out

Alan

probably just reflective of your poor taste- my cellar is 50% champagne, which is about 50% less than i hope for it to one day be.

[rofl.gif]

I hardly buy anything else.

Speak for yourself.

+1. I agree with the OP on this one… I have some 2004 DP, and VC LGD laying about, but not nearly enough. I would like to get some good grower stuff to lay down a bit.
champagne.gif

Alan,

I had this problem about 2-3 years ago. What helped me with this was cellar tracker. I look at my cellar by region and then I realize what I need to drink what I want and have more to age. I have found the more Champagne I have…the more I drink when it comes to my choice of what I want. So I’ve had to seriously ramp up my purchases. Initially the first year I bought wines I loved in 3’s or 4’s. Now as time has passed I’ve realized it needs to be in sets of 6 with a few tête de cuvées added in each year for longer aging. For me the biggest challenge has been finding a few producers that I want year-in-year-out. Once you find those…I think you’re on the path to thinking of them like any other wine.

Paul

I would appreciate it if you don’t respond to any of my posts. I in turn will never comment on your posts.

Alan

While I personally do not fall into this category, I would think that for those who do, getting over the idea that only tete de cuvees are cellar worthy is at least part of it. A bottle of Bollinger Special Cuvée with 5 years of bottle aging can be a beautiful thing.

What exactly do you mean by Tete de cuvee please

Well, with Pierre Peters it would be Les Chetillions.

I don’t seem to have this problem anymore. if anything, I can’t seem to get enough it.

Just as long as I can keep reading your posts. They ARE awesome Alan - don’t let the wienies get you down here, keep them coming.

Next I would ask why every person who posts in Wine Talk drinks Carlisle and Rhys wines…every…single…night.

+1

The top bottlings from the Champagne producers. Dom Perignon is Moet et Chandon’s Tête de Cuvée, for example.

Champagne is one of few areas I’m buying more of these days and a good NV is priced around where a good 1er Cru white Burgundy used to be not all that long ago.

Usually the top of the line bottling from a producer although not necessarily. Tete de cuvee means top of the vat in French implying that you are getting the best. But champagne producers can do special releases or bottlings in certain vintages.

For great champagne and “reasonable” price, take a look at 2004 Taittinger Comtes. It’s available for around $129, its gorgeous to drink today, and it should age very nicely.

I recommend folks stay away from the 2002 Piper Heidsieck Cuvee Rare. You wouldn’t like it. [thankyou.gif]

+1.

I actually have been working to rectify this. Most of what I have bought over the last two years or so has been champagne. I LOVE it

I try to buy more Champagne than I drink - to keep some bottles for aging, incl. NV Cuvees …
In addition I buy now and then aged bottles at auctions, which can be very rewarding, but also is sometimes wasted money … (worth the risk)
Recently had a Pommery Magnum from the (supposed) late 70ies that was marvallous …

So I think I DO buy enough …