Who does a great value version of Beaucastel?

Last night got to taste a beautiful 89 and it reminded a lot of Burgundy in its weight and elegance. I really admire Beaucastel and own a dozen or so btls from a few vintages. Got me wondering though who else makes a less grenache dominated blend in the style of Beaucastel at a better price point?

For me it’s either Coudoulet or Tablas Creek Esprit. Although both nice wines, admittedly neither is really a substitute for Beaucastel.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve ever had a Beaucastel CDP but +1 for their Coudoulet de Beaucastel CDR Rouge. I like Rhones but find myself drinking far fewer of them than I used to, especially CDP. But I still buy a case of Coudoulet CDR in good vintages to scratch the Rhone itch. Fascinating and age-worthy juice for the price.

2 Likes

there is no suitable substitute for Beaucastel, imo.

1 Like

Grafs is correct

2 Likes

nobody

I wonder if any major CNP has less Grenache. If you like Mourvedre, try Pradeaux and Tempier. Closer to CNP, Montirius makes a very good old-vine Mourvedre in Vacqueyras.

2 Likes

Did you get any of the 2002 Clos Des Papes that winestreet was selling for $30 a bottle. Very light and rustic, but very nice. Check out the cellartracker reviews from myself and our friend rocknroller.

1 Like

Is the lesser amount of grenache in Beaucastel a meaningful difference vs other CdPs? I always had the impression that Beaucastel was still very grenache dominant and that people only think otherwise due to the mourvedre in the Hommage bottling, which is of course a totally different story. In any event, if it’s mourvedre you like the value substitutes are going to be Tempier, Pradeaux, etc., not other CdPs.

1 Like

Beaucastel and Coudoulet de Beaucastel are 30% Grenache and 30% Mourvedre. Most Chateauneuf du Papes are 60-100% Grenache. Very few have so much Mourvedre, so I would say only Coudoulet de Beaucastel tastes like Beaucastel.

2 Likes

Craig, I don’t know if this helps but you can often find lesser vintages like 88 and 94 for around the same price as recent releases, so for older wines they are pretty good value. For me these can be equally enjoyable compared to 89/90, just in a lighter style.

This may be controversial, but I think there are many years where Guigal’s basic CDP is a nice, simpler cousin to Beaucastel.

1 Like

Which years? I have 00/01 and have occasionally tasted others. I don’t recall any that particularly reminded me of Beaucastel. I agree this is a good wine, though I am still not sure if it repays aging.

1 Like

Yes and no. It’s not so much the lower percentage of Grenache (30%) as it is the ratio of Grenache to the higher percentage of Mourvèdre (30%) that makes a difference - and quite a meaningful difference, to my palate.

I can only ask, “Compared to what?” Compared to a more traditional CdP cepage that is 60%+ Grenache with little or no Mourvèdre? Compared to Pegau (75% Grenache / 5% Mourvèdre), or Clos du Mont Olivet (80% / 6%), or Pierre Usseglio (70% / 5%), or Charvin (80% / <5%), or la Milliere (60% / 10%), or Paul Autard (70% / 0%)? I think not.

That can’t be the reason for my thinking, since I considered Beaucastel to be Mourvedre- rather than Grenache-dominated long before I ever tasted Hommage à Jacques Perrin - before Beaucastel first produced Hommage in 1989, for that matter.

EDIT: According to the 1997 edition of Parker’s Wines of the Rhône Valley, Beaucastel has both the lowest percentage of Grenache and the highest percentage of Mourvèdre in the appellation.

SECOND EDIT: I re-read the entry, and it seems to be saying that Beaucastel has the lowest percentage of Grenache and highest percentage of Mourvèdre planted of any producer in the appellation - not that it necessarily uses less Grenache and more Mourvèdre in its blend than any other producer.

1 Like

I thought of that myself after putting up the post last night. I do love Tempier too. But, surely there has to be at least a few producers who follow the Beaucastel, less grenache centric, model too. No?

2 Likes

I like Papes and would love to try the 02 at $30 per but its still more CDP typical grenache facing blend. I think I’m developing more of a preference for Beuacastel’s style, especially with age but, its gotten pretty pricey on release.

Thanks Craig, sound advice. I’ve had the 94 and enjoyed it. I’m always a little squeamish about buying truely old stuff on the net but probably worth the risk and a great value as you say.

Whatever happen to Rhone Report guy Jeb who used to frequent the boards when you need him? Or, Harry Karis hawking his CDP book who used to be on the boards too?

Jeb is pretty responsive on Twitter and on FB

Coudoulet for sure, but that’s obvious. Although it’s Carianne based, the Leon Barral Faugeres is really reminiscent of Beaucastel in terms of the ferral/wet fur/leather aspects one gets from Beaucastel. The “Valinieres”, while not a value, is 80% Mourvedre.