Who does a great value version of Beaucastel?

Total Wine direct imports in a pretty acceptable, but by no means full replacement for the Beaucaste, Clos Saint Michael, which has a higher percentage (roughly 30%) in their regular and reserve CDP cuvees.

If the question is, who’s using a higher percentage of Mourvedre or an equal balance Grenache to Mourevedre, I grabbed the Harry Karis book and quickly realized that it would take a long, long time to go through all the pages and pull out this info. He does however provide an easy to parse table of typical grape makeup on the special cuvĂ©es, and I was surprised to see that have a large number of Mourvedre-dominant or like 33/33/33 GSM blends. Too many to type. Of course, none of these will meet the value proposition, as the regular Beau is probably similarly priced or cheaper.

That’s interesting. I have the book and will have to check that out. I think its finding a producer who uses the higher 30 % of Mouverdre like Becaucastel and who also uses a higher % of older oak for aging too.

Boislauzon has more Mourvedre than many CdPs. Tintot is 100% Mourvedre.

Back to the original question: Lirac ‘La Reine des Bois’ from Dom. de la MordorĂ©e might be worth a try. One-third each Grenache, Syrah, and MourvĂšdre, at about $25.

How did we get into a discussion of mourvedre and Bandol? I would have trouble saying Beaucastel tastes ‘Burgundian’ : for me, it has always felt like a RHone wine to me, but (obviously) different from regular CdP because of it’s variety makeup, which is quite unique. I really don’t think there is a substitute for it. And I don’t think you can take a ‘by-the-numbers’ approach to other wines and think that you will like others based on the cepages with Beaucastel. As for the mourvedre component, if you begin looking around for wines with more of that in them, you will be far afield from Burgundy

1 Like

The 89 we had earlier this week was Burgundian in its weight, mouthfeel and elegance. Other Burgheads at the dinner voiced the same opinion of it as I. Spiritually Burgundian, I guess. Almost Mugnier like for me in fact.

I was thinking of exactly that era, 98, 99 and 00. I have nat had the Guigal’s in several years, so I am not sure how they aged, but I remember being struck by some similarities in depth of fruit and structure when both wines were young. Again, I would say cousins more than a replica.

It’s been a while since I’ve had one but I’ve always thought that the Clos du Caillou “Quartz” has a nice elegant mineral quality. I wouldn’t call it Burgundian but enjoyable (mostly Grenache though)

Much quicker using Harry’s website: Producers of CDP

Except for a few special cuvĂ©es - like the 100% Syrah “Sola Syrah RĂ©galis” from Domaine Jean Royer; the 100% MourvĂšdre “Tintot” from Mas de Boislauzon; the 80% Syrah “Reserve” from Domaine de Nalys; and the 70% MourvĂšdre “La Part des Anges” from Domaine Raymond Usseglio - very few Chateauneufs have less than 50% Grenache. Just to illustrate the point, the regular cuvĂ©es from Royer, Boislauzon, Nalys, and R. Usseglio clock in at 75%, 70%, 60%, and 80% Grenache.

A few that do have less than 50% Grenache are:

• Clos Saint Pierre “Urbi” (45%)
  • ChĂąteau Maucoil “Privilege” (40%)
  • ChĂąteau la Nerthe “CuvĂ©e Cadettes” (43%)
  • Clos Saint-Michel (40%)
  • ChĂąteau de la Gardine “CuvĂ©e Peur Bleu,” “CuvĂ©e des GĂ©nĂ©rations Gaston Philippe,” and “L’Immortelle”- all equal parts Grenache, Syrah, and MourvĂšdre
1 Like

In that sense, the most Burgundian Chateauneuf I have ever encountered is Domaine la Consonniùre - but it is almost 100% Grenache (with a tiny bit of Clairette), from 100+ year old vines on sandy soil (which imparts a lightness and elegance). Very perfumed, it makes a big palate impression through flavor intensity instead of size or weight. Spiritually Burgundian, indeed. I have tasted both the 2009 and 2010 with, as they say, consistent notes. And it’s considerably cheaper than Beaucastel.

1 Like

I dug out a 2000 Guigal and a 1994 Beaucastel to drink over the holidays.

w.r.t. Burgundian, in 1998 we walked into a (not famous) cellar in CNP and they served a 1980 that was light in color, high in aroma, and beautifully smooth. I also had a 1986 VT several years ago that had evolved in a similar way. I don’t know if I would use the term for the 1989 Beaucastel yet based on my last tasting, but I do expect it to go there eventually. In some sense I think all great old wines aspire to become “Burgundian” because we associate lighter color and body, fine aromatics, and silky texture with Burgundy.

Never once thought in the dozen or so times I have had the '89 Beaucastel that it looked burgundian

Rayas, especially with age on the other hand, yes.

Seems to me I read somewhere that in the old days, don’t ask me which days those were, it was quite common for Burgundy producers to spoof their red wine with Grenache.

Craig, amazingly, aged Tempier does makes this same transformation. In addition to the approx. 30% Mourvedre, Beaucastel typically has about 10% syrah as well, so at least 40% heavier, darker varieties. Vieux Donjon typically has about 10% each Mourvedre and Syrah. Domaine Charbonniere Les Hautes Brusquiùres is 60/40 grenache/syrah. I haven’t had an aged one, but it is a wine a quite like in good (not overripe) vintages. I suspect 2010 will be outstanding.

I thought it was with Syrah

imo, the '94 Beaucastel is about as “Burgundian” as CdP gets. (although, I do say that w/o ever having had a Rayas)

Assuming you’re talking about texture and weight, that’s characteristic of the 1994 vintage in Chateauneuf.

BTW isn’t Beaucastel a great value already?

Compared to many yes. The price has crept up but the product probably warrants it. Just thought it would be worth asking if there are cheaper alternatives in the same style.