Which Champagne are you drinking?

Thank you both. Just testing the waters for the first time so sadly wont be aging any further

I’d decant or, even better, pour a glass, properly stopper the bottle and put in in a fridge, enjoy the glass you poured, then drink the rest the next day.

3 Likes

Andre Clouet “V6 Experience” tonight. First time with this bottling, second experience with Clouet.

Pale yellow color. On the nose, I get a lot of sesame bagel, pears and apples. On the palette, it’s more savory forward than fruit forward here with sourdough bread, tarragon, fresh cut red apples, wine poached pear. Medium acidity, and I’d actually like a touch more here. I like the wine, but not a top 10 for me, but still enjoyable. There’s no dosage details noted on the bottle (or disgorgement date), but I’ll say they did a great job keeping this wine fragrant and fully on the savory side of champagne, so whatever it is, it was judged well. I can’t help thinking that this wine really needs food to really shine, which I didn’t do (this time anyway).

4 Likes

Sounds very different from the lone bottle I had months ago. The bottle I opened was full of espresso and tiramisu notes. Clouet really needs to start including disgorgment dates on the label.

3 Likes

FIFY.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s quite different! I suppose the more savory side of things may be the only common thread there. Totally agree, the disgorgement would help. I suspect my bottle was a very recent disgorgement as it came from a retailer that moves a ton of volume is frequently selling the latest releases/vintages on just about everything in store.

1 Like

I have seen you post this several times. I have no idea what it means.

I see what you did there and understand.now. Nevermind.

I’ve always understood it to mean “I fixed it for you” but I’m not sure how exactly anything was “fixed” in this context :joy:

Or maybe I’m not up on my internet lingo, which is a distinct possibility too!

1 Like

That’s what it means, I think. He changed Clouet needs to all producers, and I concur.

1 Like

Ahh, missed that change. Assumed the quote was verbatim.

I concur!

First impressions on the 2016 PP Chetillons: not nearly as rich or powerful as 2015 but elegantly shy at this stage. I’d lay this bottle for a few years before drinking. 2012 GA was the clear winner of the night.

3 Likes

NV Huré Frères Champagne L’Insouciance - France, Champagne (12/31/2023)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over a couple hours –

Strawberry Bonanza! Aromas are pleasantly powdery and red-fruited, and fairly light-handed. Light and very dry palate presence. Expressive and zippy. Enjoyed this a lot.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

2013 Schramsberg Vineyards J. Schram Noirs - USA, California, North Coast (12/31/2023)
– popped and poured –

Aged aromatics – woodsy, and a touch buttermilky. Aged character carries-through on the finish. Initially, this came across as “weird” — something a little funky/buttermilky was preventing me from enjoying it, but with lots of air it seemed to sort itself out somewhat, and it did eventually get to a point where I didn’t dislike it. Ultimately, I moved-on, and may have not given it a chance to fully come together. Based on this bottle, give it some air prior to service.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

NV Egly-Ouriet Champagne Grand Cru Tradition Brut - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (12/31/2023)
– popped and poured –
– 2017 base; disgorged in July 2022 –
– 2 g/l dosage –
– 70% Pinot Noir, 30% Chardonnay –

Expressive, rich, and a little bit bready on the Nose. Palate is simultaneously rich and dry; high acidity; not austere; noticeable ginger note after a couple hours. This was immediately impressive, and never let-up. Liked it a lot.

6 Likes

This base level Laherte Freres Ultradition Brut doesn’t get nearly the attention of the extra brut offerings, so I wasn’t sure what to expect of it going in…I have to say, it’s quite nice! Not a complex wine, or doing anything particularly memorable other than being well balanced, having good acidity, some sweet autolytic notes, rich yet fruity, and an excellent long finish. Sort of a leaner version of a Charles Heidsieck Brut Reserve, to my taste. This is punching above its price class for sure (I paid $40), and would make for a great “house champagne” and a good crowd pleaser.

4 Likes

Nailed it. I had pretty much that exact reaction, save for being a leaner CH (my lack of imagination, not an inappropriate comparison at all). I enjoy it quite a bit and will always look for a few bottles when entertaining.

1 Like

With air, and a slight rise in temp, it’s getting richer and even more CH-like. I’m a fan, and as good a deal the CH brut reserve is, this might be even more compelling. Need to do a side by side tasting in the future :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I really can’t keep track of all of Laherte’s changes to its labels and the different styles of labels it’s using. I liked the colorful image packed labels. Much better than the old soil looking ones, and better than the super basic corny AF font ones they used for single vineyard and Les 7. Now it looks like they’re trying to blend in with everyone else with a more “classic” label with a mature font, but given their target audience, I kind liked their counter-culture fun colorful vibe.

And I think more growers are going the fun or visually interesting label way, because champagne doesn’t have to be stodgy, tradition driven big house for the rich only juice.

Love/miss the old, colorful labels. I’m all for fun labels; Champagne is fun as hell!

2 Likes

2008 R. & L. Legras Champagne Grand Cru Saint-Vincent - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (1/1/2024)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over 1 to 1.5 hrs. –

Nice breadth and depth — nothing earth-shattering or amazing, but undeniably excellent. Good acidity. Rich, but not too heavy – some chewy breadiness. Showing some light-to-moderate aged character, but in no danger of rapid decline. Drink or Hold.

4 Likes

NV Marguet Champagne Premier Cru Yuman 19 Blanc de Blancs - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (1/1/2024)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over 1 to 1.5 hrs. –
– 100% Chardonnay –
– Disgorged in Feb. '22 –
– No dosage –

Light and dry. Oak is noticeable on the Nose and Palate — moreso with this bottling than any other Marguet I’ve ever had. Solid, but lacking next to all the other bubbles we had over the same weekend. It’s a light, dry, high-pitched, oaky BdB. Not a rebuy for me this vintage, but I’ve enjoyed the bottling enough in the past to continue buying into the future, for now.

1 Like

NV Laherte Frères Petit Meslier Champagne Extra Brut - France, Champagne (1/2/2024)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over 5 hrs. –
– 100% Petit Meslier –
– Disgorged in Dec. '21 –
– Dosage: 2 g/l –

NOSE: quite expressive; dominated by Golden Delicious apples, with hints of chalk and sea spray.

BODY: medium gold yellow color; medium-light bodied.

TASTE: bready, and a touch vinous; tart apple skin; super high acidity; interesting; limey acid on the finish; a bit floral, and a very faint hint of cumin; bitter lime on the finish; unusual; I’m fairly certain this is the most acidic Champagne I’ve had. Ash is not a fan – too acidic, and she doesn’t like the flavors on the finish. This actually came across as a touch tannic; I strong recommend not drinking this too cold – fridge temp. is too cold – better to drink at/around cellar temp… I liked this a lot, and will probably rebuy, although it will be with some reluctance as this is north of $100 … just can’t get it out of my head.

1 Like