Which Champagne are you drinking?

Yeah, I ended the night significantly less enamored with it, but I still found it enjoyable. Won’t be a repurchase.

1 Like

The de Venoge bottle makes them look like failed vinegar makers.

This evening in the cheap(-ish) seats a rosé from Jean-Jacques Lamoureux, a producer in Les Riceys who doesn’t seem to have been mentioned here previously. An interesting wine, but not one I’ll be rushing to buy again.

Click here for my TN
  • NV Jean-Jacques Lamoureux Champagne Brut Rosé - France, Champagne (07/01/2024)
    90/10 PN/C according to the producer's website. No disgorgement or dosage info.

The colour is more "light red" than often the case with rosés - When first opened fizz is aggressive on the palate with overtones of bitterness. However, with maybe 15-30 minutes air things settle down somewhat and much more red fruit (wild strawberry, raspberry) comes to the fore on the nose (where I get hints of menthol also) and on the palate, which is has an somewhat unusual candied mid-palate between a tart entry and a clean and slightly mineral finish.

Overall this is an interesting wine, but for me there's a feeling of tartness tending to bitterness which detracts from the overall experience. It's not a dosage issue (the candied mid-palate suggests to me that the dosage is maybe 8-10g/l), perhaps more to do with the length of time on skins (the label describes this as a rosé de macération).

So, interesting, but not one I'll be rushing to buy more, particularly at the ~US$42 that I paid. (85 points)

3 Likes

It could very well be that the fruit was not ripe enough when picked also.

1 Like

No notes as we were out for our anniversary. Off a list for under retail. Delicious.

8 Likes

Agrapart 7 Crus Brut tonight with sushi. Lovely pairing.

Primarily 2017 base and a Feb 2020 disgorgement. 7g/l dosage.

The wine is a pale gold, and immediately expresses itself on the nose. Tons of fresh baked bread and sweets here, suggesting a richer wine, but that’s not what you get on the palette. The palette is fresh, zippy, and clean. Reminds me a bit of the Delamotte 2014 vintage bottling. There’s tons of green apple, lemon and lime zest, and then the leesy baked goods make a subtle appearance in the background. The acid lingers on the palette creating a long lasting finish that readies the mouth for the next bit. It’s a really nice wine that punches above its price, and I’d happily seek this out again. I’m eager to dip into my other Agrapart bottlings now. The style works, particularly with sushi.

6 Likes

2017 Remy Massin Pinot Noir Special Club:

This is a good bottle. It sports a very mineral palate, racy acidity, and some citrus and light cherry flavor over a somewhat creamy and reubenesque frame. It is not, however, special in any way. It is not complex; it is somewhat course on the palate, and it lacks the clarity I would expect from a producers best wine. I am certainly enjoying it, and I think it would be a great partner to oysters on the half shell or sushi, but it’s of pretty average quality for $60. I will be surprised if this improves much with more time on cork.

I am going to score this, as I fear the note gives the impression that I am tepid about this wine. It’s a solid 90 pointer. I was just expecting significantly more from a Special Club.

2 Likes

In 2021 my now-wife and I made a day trip and wanted to visit a mix of large and small producers. We went to Taittinger and really loved it. I like taking pictures, so I wish I had more time in their caves to snap shots but well worth a visit if you want to see a “bigger” operation, and I love their wine.

As for small we went to Voirin Jumel (has some US distribution but still hard to find), Gisele Devavry (though I’m not sure if they’re taking guests currently due to a note on their website that has been up for a while), and Michel Fagot. I would recommend all as well worth a stop/tasting. Best of luck to you, safe travels.

2 Likes

Pierre Gimmonet Rosé de Blancs

2022 disgorgement. 95% Chardonnay with 5% Bouzy Pinot Noir for color.

This will read as negative, but it really wasn’t a bad wine. I’m just a little puzzled.
I was expecting to like this more. I suppose I wanted it to drink a little more like a rosé —or at least show some character of a rosé other than the color. Otherwise, why make it at all?

For me this was lacking complexity. Felt like a one-dimensional BdB, but it was a pale salmon color instead. The Bouzy PN didn’t show through at all.

This was a balanced wine, I’d just rather drink something else at this price point and if I want a rosé champagne I’ll pick something else.

5 Likes

I’d agree with that note for sure! Had one ~3 ish weeks ago and it was really nice. I gave out a bunch of bottles to family at Christmas.

1 Like

I reiterate, this bottle is the truck nuts of wine bottles.

Bought a sixer of this Etienne Calsac L’echappee Belle after your post and then Jay’s rave review. Loved it. Bright, exciting chalky pear, mint, and floral driven notes with banging acidity. Hint of spice, great finish, lovely fruit, mouthwatering and dry. I actually found it pretty complex and really enjoyed it.

2 Likes

To me, it’s not so much the bottle storage factor as that it causes me to assume it’s a so-so bubbly using a weird bottle to justify a higher price.

-Al

4 Likes

Good to hear that you enjoyed it. Need to find more myself as my wife also really liked it.

Me, too. I never buy wine because I’m attracted to its packaging but haven’t been interested in Venoge because I’m turned off by its packaging. Oh well, foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.

The Belle Glas wax affectation would prevent me from buying their pinots except that I’m already was not buying their pinots.

-Al

1 Like

Aurore and Flavian Laval - Symposium 2021 Base, 2022 or 2023 Disgorgement, can’t recall, but only spends like 9 months on lees. 60% Pinot Noir, 40% Meunier, 3.3 g/l. 10% oak, no malo. This is like quasi natural champagne, and with limited time on lees. It was pretty enjoyable, with bright citrus, apricot, spice, and some white cherry, and an almost brambly wild herbal note. The color shows meunier, and the fruit is pretty nice and bright. Maybe not a home run, but it’s a fun young wine of some complexity. Bright and vervy.

3 Likes

Anyone have an opinion on buying a bottle of Egly Ouriet Grand Cru Brut NV to try - options are disgorged either in 2021 or 2022.

My opinion is to buy. Haven’t had any ‘22 disgorgement yet so… side-by-side!

2 Likes

My 2016 base year bottles were disgorged in 12/21 after 53 months sur latte.

My 2017 base year bottles were disgorged in 07/22 after 48 months sur latte.

Pick your poison.

Both require further aging. In my opinion, of course.

1 Like