Which Champagne are you drinking?

I had the Blanc six months ago and felt the same way. Fun with explosive berry flavors, though lacking in soul and intellectual interest. I paid $129 (before 20% off coupon) for a gift set which included two unique stems I just had to have. As nice as they look, they are useless to drink from. On par with a coupe. The bottle has made a lovely vase, however.

4 Likes

2008 Doyard Lumieres last night. Still a bit young but extremely promising. Some very deft use of oak.

4 Likes

I only have a few. When would you look to open another? Thx

1 Like

Probably a few more years. Got better with air for sure.

2 Likes

Alexandre Colson Carte D’Or:

I have never heard of this estate, couldn’t find any useful information about it online, and the price was suspiciously low relative to the other Champagnes in stock ($67 for Andre Clouet Grande Reserve) but I wanted to support a just opened wine shop in my wine deprived burg. I had very low expectations, but I am quite enjoying this. 80/20 Pinot and Chard from Bouzy. It’s very pleasantly dense with pineapple, pear, dried fruit, and panettone notes, some sous bois complexity and minerals, and good length. The dosage, whatever it is, is very well integrated. There is a sense of richness on the nose and the palate but no perception of sweetness. This hasn’t been open especially long and may yet reveal a bit more. $50 well spent, much to my surprise.

4 Likes

Frank Murray posted a nice travelogue with several growers although IIRC, he prefers very low or non-dosed champagne. Some may not be of the rich and vinous persuasion. My Ongoing Blog Of Our Week In Champagne (& Paris)--9 Visits w/Pics/TNs UPDATED W/ FINAL THOUGHTS

Maybe some of the international members of the board can comment on wines that aren’t exported here. I’ve only visited champagne producers I’d tried and loved stateside.

Good luck,
Warren

1 Like

Not sure if yours is this disgorgement:

LATEST DISGORGEMENT : July 2020
VINIFICATION : A blend of 3 years and 2 cépages: PN and Chard. Malolactic fermentation, 8 months in stainless (thermo-regulated).
ASSEMBLAGE : 80% pinot noir et 20% chardonnay
BASE WINES: 40% 2017, 40% 2018 et 20% 2019
AGING: 36 months
DOSAGE : 9 g/l

Astrid, I got turned on to Venoge champagnes by my go to wine shop in Amsterdam many years ago as I’d never seen it in the US. Love every wine I tasted, especially the Louis XV releases. As you say, the bottle shape is a nightmare for wine racks/ storage; so, I do not keep them too long and my wife keeps some of the empty bottles for decorative candle holders.

Finally, I found sources here and occasionally go for a few. The most recent purchase was the NV de Venoge Champagne Princes Blanc de Blancs Tour Eiffel Edition Limited 130 Anniversaire. Quite the attractive package, also in a box. Hopefully, the contents are equally as good.

Cheers,
Blake

1 Like

There is a complete lack of information on the bottle.

Do you know this producer? I liked the bottle less as it warmed. Took on some bruised apple notes and the dosage asserted itself.

Opening a Roederer 244 in a couple hours.

2 Likes

Very interested to hear what you think about the 244. I love the 242 and 243. Haven’t seen the 244 on shelves in my area yet.

2 Likes

Kroger sells Venoge. In SoCal, Ralph’s Fresh Faire (their upgraded store format) in the wine lockup. Often part of their ‘buy 6’ discount program.

1 Like

Around me, Total Wine seems to be the big distributor of Venoge.

-Al

1 Like

is it a “winery direct”? that’s their private label that they make huge margin on.

Yes, it’s winery direct so larger margin and more frequent discounts.

I mentioned the bottle shapes being a disincentive for me, the other is that it’s a Total Wine winery direct producer and appear to be overpriced.

-Al

1 Like

I’ve said it before…Krug GC is my favorite half bottle of wine. It shows some of the Krug magic years before the 750’s, and is perfect while my spouse is committing to a dry January. This was the 169, an excellent rendition.

6 Likes

I asked my business associate about it. He pointed me to their website. He tried it before and wasn’t charmed.

Winery Direct is not PL by the way, just for clarity.

2 Likes

That appetizer looks great Warren, looks like a Thai inspired fish dish?

Marybeth’s work. Actually, a creamy cajun halibut, but it had a Thai inflection. Coconut milk, lemon, red bell peppers, shallots, spinach, but more cajun spices than Thai.