Which 03 Bdx to open now?

Wanting to check in on 03 Bdx - which is most likely showing well now?

Pape Clement, Saint Pierre, Pavie Macquin, Sociando Mallet, or Duhart Milon?

Thx!

Jeez, they all seem kinda youngish to me. Perhaps the Duhart?

The sociando is the most drinkable. Maybe 2 hours of breathing

I had the Pape Clement last night and the Chat Pavillon Rouge last week and it left me worried that they were both developing too quickly and that much of the vintage might not age well. In the past, I’ve enjoyed the Branaire Ducru, Duhart Milon, Leoville Barton and Leoville Poyferre.

Bill -

I’ve only had the St. Pierre (several times) and the Pavie M. The St. Pierre is very open, very accessible. It’s the clear product of 2003 and some modern wine-making. Very lavish. Yummy stuff, but not classic in any sense of the word.

Thanks for the insights! Robert, I am headed to an annual golf trip with a Napa Cab centric group - I was thinking the Saint Pierre, Pavie M, and Pape may be more in their wheelhouse…

Peter, These are the only wines I bought from 2003 and your comments scare me - how did the Pape show? Drying out - disjointed?

I wish I had bought from St Estephe and the Haut Marbuzet is available here locally for $50 from a very reputable retailer. Anyone have any opinions on this wine - I loved the 01 but it was only $25!

Funny, Bill, but I was actually going to state that it’s the most Cali-styled of the bunch, but refrained, thinking it perhaps a bit trite. I think it will be a winner in your group.

Robert - Indeed Hilarious - I will share a bottle with these guys! Some 99 Pegau with these guys sure drew interesting reactions a couple years ago!

03 is a very open vintage. I think all of those are fine right now.

The 03 Duhart has been drinking we’ll since release. The Sociando is drinkable but will be better in 10 years. The St. Pierre is also wide open, but I think/hope it will be better once it gets another 5+ years in the cellar to settle down (it’s a bit over the top for my tastes right now).

The '03 Duhart Milon was drinking the best during a blind tasting, 2 years ago, in a flight that included '03 SM and '03 Pontet Canet. It was our wine-of-the-flight. I don’t know if it will impress your Cali-enthusiasts buddies, but it drank well that night.

I’m no fan of 2003 Bdx, but have had quite a few. You may want to check out the 2003 d’Issan. I’ve had it once and I thought it was pretty good vintage considered.

Thx al!

opened pavie macquin for valentaines day and it was drinking very well.

+1.

Like Peter M. upthread, I believe '03 is developing at a (too-) rapid pace.

It was a bit roasted, lacked structure, and even the fruit was somewhat disappointing. I would not say this about all the 2003’s that I’ve tried, but many of them tasted better at or closer to release than they do now, and I don’t think it’s because they’re now in a dormant stage. Just my opinion – I could be wrong about the ageability.

In my experience 2003 has rough tannins. I don’t think the big 03s are dropping fruit, and in that sense I think they will age fine. But they have a crudeness to them that may not smooth out with age.

2003 Pichon Baron was drinking very well. Lots of fruit and sweet smooth tannins but also not unpleasantly soft. Liked it better than a couple of 2000s I’ve had over the past few months.

Thanks all! I will report back soon on the Saint Pierre!

This wine is, imo, the poster child for developing-too-quickly '03 Bdx. — it tastes at least 5 years older than I would expect a pedigreed Bdx. to taste at 9 yrs old.