Which 03 Bdx to open now?

Speaking as someone who has a young cellar, I don’t mind this so much as it gives me something to drink while I wait for my 2005s to come around and my 2004s and 2001s to evolve more. Thirsty fella that I am, I can’t find any more 2004 Pichon Barons for drinking these days and I’m already half way through my second case of 2004 Pontet Canet. Too bad 2003s aren’t more reasonably priced.

Pavie Macquin 1st choice

AY

For me, the aging curve is not solely dependent on the producer but very much so influenced by the vintage (e.g. 75 vs say 78). I think my 05s will hit the drinking window I tend to enjoy BDX far later than say the 03s, 09s or any other of the ilk. There is a general rule of “15” for pedigree producers, but I think that’s a rough gauge and each vintage and producer should be treated individually.

With that being said, I agree that the aging slope of 03 is different and most certainly more abbreviated compared to more structured vintages. I don’t think they will express the same degree of complete balance into the multiple-decade points, but then again they were far more approachable in youth to their 00/05 counterparts. Something of a tradeoff really.

Faryan

Pape Clement i had three months ago was awesome! still prefer the 01 as its more traditional but the 03 is still very much a BDX