What's the most dominant red grape variety in your cellar?

What’s the most dominant red grape variety in your cellar?

• Cabernet Sauvignon
  • Cabernet Franc
  • Grenache
  • Merlot
  • Nebbiolo
  • Pinot Noir
  • Sangiovese
  • Syrah
  • Tempranillo
  • Touriga Nacional
  • Zinfandel
  • Other

0 voters

For blended wines, consider the dominant variety.

Cab Sauv because I started out in the early 1990s buying mostly California Cab and Bordeaux. Syrah and Pinot Noir will overtake that variety soon because those are what I drink most of the time now when I want a red.

Cabernet Franc by far. Pinot Noir, Nebbiolo and Mourvedre follow. Cab S is in there somewhere since most of what CT labels “Red Bordeaux Blend” in my cellar that isn’t CF based is CS based. But I didn’t try to count it too carefully.

I’d have to go and count but it’s for sure Montepulciano (Abruzzo and Marche) and Corvina (Amarone) neck and neck…

You have to count? You mean someone on this website doesn’t use Cellar Tracker?

Grenache/Grenache blends for me.

Check the cellar organization thread, it would seem that MOST people don’t use the actual cellar tracking part but just post notes there…

Besides, my “cellar” is less than 50 bottles…

Zinfandel! Edges out Pinot and Syrah by a nose. Cabernet next.

Pinot Noir. Gamay is growing at a faster rate though

Pinot noir by far. Zinfandel a distant second.

Pinot Noir 19.83%, followed by Grenache 14.08%

Cab/bored blend in a runaway

Pinot next, just barely beating chenin blanc (all those cases of huet flirtysmile )

Pinot noir, by varietal. But, if I combine cabernet sauvignon with Bordeaux blends, I have more of that combined category.

Best,

Andrew

With north of 200 bottles of Betz and Cayuse,syrah by a nose over cab

[wow.gif]

Nebbiolo for me - and that was easy for me to tell without looking at Cellartracker.

However, what i found is that it´s followed by Pinot and Cabernet on second - who would have thought I had the exact same number of bottles of these 2 varieties…

Because you included blends Syrah wins out, otherwise it would have been Pinot.

From high to low:
Syrah
Zin
PS
Cab
Pinot
Other reds and blends

It’s interesting to see how often wine geeks prefer Pinot. It makes me wonder if the dominance of Cabernet is driven much more by history (proximity to markets etc) and not preference.

Fleming? . . . Fleming? . . . Fleming? . . .
Anyone?
T.

Yeah its all about Bordeaux getting to the brits easily and there being lots of it.