What's the Best top end non-DRC red Burgundy?

Yes but hard to find at the same price as Lamarche

A Rousseau Chambertin (incl. Clos de Beze) doesn´t help … when opened at the wrong time.
2008 Ch CdB ´08 three months ago was simply a waste … (not my bottle).
Personally I would keep anything younger than 2000 at the moment … (maybe except 2007)

I wasn’t suggesting infanticide.

But I see the Lamarche reference now. With this at $300-600 in the US, if the question is what’s the best red Burg even taking the high end of the range, in my view when you go below Rousseau Chambertin (now priced much higher), it becomes entirely subjective.

If you also want mature or in the zone, …

I might look for 1993 Mugneret-Gibourg Clos Vougeot at a good price—drinking spectacularly now. From a good bottle, one of my top Burgs ever.

This. If you are looking for 1 bottle to drink young my vote would be the CDB.

But what vintages?

To “see what all the fuss is about”, the wine needs to be near maturity imo. I think it’s going to be hard to find one of the above in a vintage that’s showing some maturity. Personally, I think taking a step down in vineyard in exchange for a step up+ in maturity (e.g. what I suggested above) is the best strategy, esp for someone looking for the fuss.

For me an easy answer: 2007. Wide open and ready to go and beautiful right now. Have had 3 of the 4 listed from 2007 in the last year or so and all were wonderful

brodie

Awesome.

Eric’s suggestion of 2000 CSJ Rousseau is great. Beautiful wine.1000-1600 ( cheaper availability in Europe ) To be fair, lots of good DRC Echezeaux and Grands Echezeaux available in a similar price range.

Well, that’s the problem with many of the responses, IMHO; the wines suggested cost nearly as much or the same as DRC, so why not just purchase it? Surprised Jay has not weighed in to disambiguate, but I guess the idea is something more in the $350-500 zone, at which some of these wines can be had in some vintages, '07, for example, but not many and not usually with much age.

If we limit the very top vineyards for reds in Burgundy to Romanee Conti, la Tache, Musigny, Richebourg, Romanee St. Vivant, Grands Echezeaux, Chambertin and Clos de Beze, IMHO, the best value in wine from any of these vineyards is Rossignol-Trapet Chambertin. https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/dom+rossignol+trappet+chambertin+grand+cru+le+gevrey+cote+de+nuit+burgundy+france/1/usa?Xsort_order=e Excellent producer, but the wines take a long time to mature. I have had the 1998, 1990 and 2001 a number of times and none are really mature, although each are excellent. I have tasted at the domaine four times now and the wines are consistently excellent. [As of about three years ago, the 2001 Chambertin was still available at the domaine for 175 Euros, a price that includes the VAT. Do not know if it is still available there.]

The 2001 Latricieres Chambertin (excellent grand cru vineyard but not a “top end” vineyard, depending on what that means) from them is drinking wonderfully right now.

Also a fan of Rossignol Trapet, one of the few bargains left in Burgundy. However I prefer the Trapet wines which have more depth, and are still within Jay’s price range.

You´ve forgotten La Romanée … ! flirtysmile

Faiveley Musigny is the rarest, and possible most underrated of the “top end non DRC” reds.

Fantastic quality, very rare (half the production of Roumier’s Musigny) and, compared to many others, could really still be considered to be under priced…

I know that you really enjoy correcting everyone, but in the context of this thread, what would have been the purpose of discussing la Romanee. If he does not want to pay for DRC, I did not think he would want to pay for la Romanee. Do you? The purpose of my post was to suggest what I think of as the best value in the type of wines Jay’s friend is seeking. Of what possible relevance is your post in the context of the point of my post?

I know a lot of people agree with you and love the wines from Trapet. For me, when I have tasted them, I have found that they are not really my style - among other things I have found them for me to be too oaky. As is often the case, when I don’t really like a producer’s wines that much on first brush, I don’t seek them out further and thus do not have nearly the experience with the wines of Trapet as I do of the wines from Rossignol-Trapet.

No, no - you wrote: “If we limit the very top vineyards for reds in Burgundy to Romanee Conti, la Tache, Musigny, Richebourg, Romanee St. Vivant, Grands Echezeaux, Chambertin and Clos de Beze,”

… in my humble opinion La Romanée belongs to the very top vineyards (that was my statement).
If he doesn´t want to pay for DRC it´s no use to list La Tache either, less so RC …

However I agree that Rossignol-Trapet Chambertin is a good value … but there are other ones, for instance several RSV or GE …

Yes - there are definitely still some good value wines from GE. I had a a Jean-Marc Millot Grands-Echezeaux 1997 recently that was shockingly good for the price and vintage.

Right - I had the Echezeaux (not the GE) 1997 earlier this year … and it was definitely excellent - and in a very good state of maturity.

The 2015 vintage are going anywhere from $4K - $8K according to Wine Searcher.