What wine to make Sangria - red and white

I am making Sangria for the SuperBowl to avoid too much brain damage trying to figure out what wine to pair with smoked meat and grilled ribs. Over here What's your best Sangria recipe I have asked for recipes. All the published recipes say “red wine” with nothing specific. Any thoughts?

Carlo Rossi Paisano. You probably don’t have any in the cellar.

I am being serious. It is a very vinous wine which can stand up to the other ingredients without getting lost. At the same time you’re not losing complexity or nuance, or wasting a wine that would be better on its own.

If that is not easy to find an unoaked or lightly oaked Tempranillo, Grenache, or Sangiovese, probably in that order, would be my choice.

2 Likes

Everyone likes this one when we make it. The bubbles make it festive.

Sangria de Cava
1 750 ml bottle of Cava (or any sparkling wine)
1/2 ounce brandy (Spanish brandy is traditional)
1/2 ounce orange liqueur
2 oranges, 2 limes plus anything else you want to add

Simple syrup - if you like it sweeter; I usually leave it out for guests to add to their glass. Some use 7-Up/lemon-lime soda.

1 Like

Like the local special recipe, which starts with a bottle of Manischewitz.

I don’t like Sangria but I had one I liked enough to ask for what was in it and if memory serves me right it was:
Some volume of Pago De Los Balagueses Garnacha Tintorera Bodegas Vegalfaro
A bunch of fresh fruits
A dash of Port
Some volume of grapefruit juice
A couple of star anise
Some fresh mint
A dash of Brandy Cardenal Mendoza
Some other stuff I can’t remember :laughing:

I had a couple of glasses and then moved on to a more serious drink :wink:

A thread on sangria and not a single mention of orange juice?

Both in Spain and at home virtually all the sangrias I’ve seen have been based on the combination of a bottle of red wine and a liter of OJ. Then just bunch of fruit mixed in.

If one wants to have some fizz, just add sparkling water plus a healthy dose of Spanish brandy to make up for the dilution.

Here is my recipe, learned in Malaga

• Sliced apples and oranges
  • mascerate in Grand Marnier/Cointreau and apple brandy
  • add full bottle of red, preferably a Spanish cosecha or another medium bodied wine without too much oak
  • add 1/4 bottle of Sprite for a little fizz and lemon/lime notes
  • add ice
1 Like

My go-to:

1 bottle white wine (I usually use Albarino, Sauvignon blanc works too)

3 ounces brandy

2 ounces triple sec

1 cup orange juice

1 cup pineapple juice

2 ounces simple syrup

3 ounces peach puree

Fresh peaches, oranges, and apples sliced

Remainder to add fizz near the end, just prior to initial serving, if choosing to do so . Otherwise there is no fizz-goes flat

2 Likes