What to pair with Prum Auslese?

It is a genius pairing with the spicy whole wok fried lobster at Lotus of Siam.

I mean, you don’t have to rescind a thank you, Maureen… :slight_smile:

I feel like Owen Wilson in The Royal Tannenbaums when he’s walking with Gywenth Paltrow and he’s wondering why she goes out of her way to specifically and repeatedly tell him he’s ‘not a genius.’

Spicy Mexican, Spanish & Linguine and Clams with a dash of red chille pepper!

As posted up-thread, spicy Indian cuisine, Thai and Vietnamese dishes.

So spicy Asian food coupled with low alcohol and high sugar levels does not blow out the subtle aspects of a good Auslese?

I find it very interesting that there are very few suggestions of drinking German wine with German cuisine. Is it because German cuisine is generally unpopular?

People mentioned pork, schnitzel, etc. Though when I visited the Mosel several winemakers told me their favorite pairings were with Thai food.

I love German food, but my waistline does not.

Yup, great call.

Basically. How many German restaurants do you see in America? Hamburger, mashed potatoes, hot dogs (Wieners), bratwurst, and layer cakes are all German in origin, but no one thinks of them as German now. (This is putting me in a mood for Sauerbraten, but try to find that on a menu in America.)

I should have added one good match to my list, Maultaschen, a Schwabian specialty – sort of a cross between a ravioli and a pierogi. The classical version is stuffed with a paste made of pork, greens and onions. It’s a great match for rieslings, sweet and dry.

No. That’s why sweeter wines with low alcohol are the only kind of wine I will drink with spicy food. The sugar tends to dampen the hot a bit and since the alcohol is low, any enhancement it might receive is less noticeable.

The two good German restaurants I have access to do not allow BYO, so…

Not it they are paired well and the boldness is fairly proportional. I don’t think an Auslese would stand up to a dish that’s so hot it makes you sweat, but a nice GKA with some spicy (but not super spicy) Thai curry is great. If the dish is only moderately spicy or so range, I think you can go with a regular Auslese.

German food is a tough sell, it seems. Even in Milwaukee the restaurants have had trouble and several of my favorites have closed over the years. The food is rich and not usually healthy but when I’m done with a meal I’m happier than with just about any other cuisine. Maybe it’s in my DNA?

I went to LoS several years ago and had a beautiful Riesling from 1982. It was fantastic but the spice level was so overwhelming that the only thing that could hope to improve the experience was lighter style ice cold beer. I usually opt for massive quantities of ice water with my Penang Curry.

Where are they? I’m frequently in CT.

In looking for the exact address of one of them, I noticed that it closed. The one that is still open is The Fort (aka The Student Prince) in Springfield, MA.

1 Like

Well, there is no end to the sacrifices I make for you people. Another half bottle of the 2007 Graacher Auslese GK. A small glass to check its credentials; it is of course, delicious. Then onto the main bout, an Osso Buco, tender and mighty, cooked in wine, with garlic, herbs, stock and mirepoix. Adding to the bittersweetness of the occasion, was that infused into the sauce were the last shreds of fresh thyme and Thai basil picked before the recent winter storm.

First, the marrow bone scooped onto brown bread with Maldon Salt. This may have been one of the great food wine combinations of my life. The complexity and slight sweetness of the marrow with the salt was working with the acidity, botrytis and sweetness of the wine. It was stunning, magical, and will be the benchmark for all future pairings.

The Osso Bucco itself was a good working relationship without the spark of the marrow bone. The herb wine sauce was agreeable, the meat lovely and by the end of the evening, we appreciated rather than loved the pairing.

The last time I had dinner at Pruem Manfred’s lovely wife Amei braised a venison loin in JJ Pruem riesling auslese and then made a sauce with the braising liquid. Served Auslese right along with it and both were delicious.

Have some venison I plan to cook tonight but am a little confused on the Riesling pairing. Can you help explain?

Likely a seared preparation so curious if the Riesling recommendation holds or if that is more for stews

I’ve only had it with venison stew so far, where the slight sweetness of the meat pairs with the residual sugar and the acidity complements/contrasts the richness of the sauce.

If you were to sear it, I guess it all depends on the sauce that accompanies it. I would see it working well with stand alone venison or maybe a mushroom gravy. Would hesitate about anything with cream in it though.

Does smoked salmon work too?