What to pair with Prum Auslese?

Yum

Jazz : )

I have been bringing older Auslese and Spätlese to Jua. The Chef utilizes Korean ingredients and an open wood burning stove. Last night an 89 Dönnhoff Spätlese paired really nicely with a duck and beef dish. The smoke really helps the pairing.

This was the beef dish:

I eat very, very little beef, but I was amazed by a pairing of DS Huet with a bison steak off the grill this summer. I think there’s something to pairing whites with strong acidity and a bit of RS with a medium rare steak.

I would echo what others have said:
–Smoked fish (I particularly love sweet riesling with smoked sable)
–Thai cuisine (haven’t tried Korean, but I can see that working, too)

I’m surprised no one mentioned liver, which is a classic match. Liver itself or liver pâté.

I haven’t ever tried an Auslese with red meats. No harm in trying, I guess! I’ll put that on my to-do list.

I also love sweet Riesling with smoked fish.

I like the cheese suggestion. I think it would pair particularly well with a selection of goat cheeses. Nothing too strong - e.g. fresh “log”, Poitou Chevre, Bijou, Bonne Bouche, Humboldt Fog.

I am not a fan, unless it’s smoked. Auslese with ham is of course delicious.

Last night we had our ‘97 Grunhaus Auslese with homemade “deconstructed pesto” pizza. Worked great.

I’m a big fan of Auslese with spicy Sichuan cumin lamb and similar red meat dishes.

1 Like

Tried the remains of the 2007 GH goldkap with some Iberico ham tonight. Superb.

Depends on the spice level and the richness of the Auslese. Once you start with the heavy flavoring of dishes like Cumin Lamb you are not really dealing with red meat. You are pairing with the seasoning.

You know, I have email evidence of you dismissively brushing aside my fresh local pecan, peanut butter as ‘too sweet’ to be worth your time… and now you’re making pecan butter cookies specifically to pair with world class riesling, huh? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Latkes with apple sauce
Boiled peanuts
A corned beef sandwich
Lox

Or, even better, with good pastrami. Seriously.

Scallops almost any way.

Moroccan food.

I am not sure I would say better but equally as good.

And, of course, cheese. Auslese with a good cheese course makes a wonderful dessert.

Classic bait and switch.

These cookies are not sweet. 3 T sugar/2 C flour/2 C ground pecans/1 C butter/1 t vanilla, hit of salt. Not sweet at all.

And the “thanks” was just me hitting the wrong icon.

Fried chicken

This, especially if spicy.