What’s the last bottle in your cellar you’ll drink?

It will probably be a magnum of 2016 Cos but of course I’m still in acquisition mode.

85 Fonseca

Eric Ifune wrote:
Some 2017 Vintage Port for which I probably will never live long enough.

+1. My wife and I went to visit Oporto in 2017 and had tastings at Graham’s, Taylor Fladgate and Cockburn. We decided to buy a few bottles of each a few months ago to commemorate our visit. I am thinking our son and daughter will inherit those bottles.

Ed

Because we do not want to drink it? Or because it will never be ready?

2006 Big Pecker Cab. My father picked this up for me one day on a lark because the label made him laugh. I hang onto it for sentimental purposes.

2010 Montrose. I laugh everytime I see the CT drinking window ending in the year 2100.

That’s parabolic thinking. Think sine wave.

I like the ageing debate, being in the throes of the thing, just like everybody else. Of course there is no record of anybody alive being currently dead, but as the investment ads say, ‘past performance is no guarantee’.

Did you know that Greenland sharks apparently reach sexual maturity at 150 years of age? How’s that for an incentive to live a long life?

I hope my last bottle is not 1924 Zimmermann Tokay Aszu 5 Puttonyos, which I have penciled in for 2024. Actuaries and docs think I might make it a good way past that.

I’ve got 1982 Mouton, Latour and Haut Brion in the basement. All bought on release, I probably don’t want to hold the Haut Brion that long (2022 is talking to me for that bottle), but Latour and Mouton should certainly be candidates to drink well at 50 years in 2032. If I get there, I’ll be 86, probably an appropriate age to get 86’d.

Dan Kravitz

Not sure but a couple of good candidates are;

Magnum of 1994 Fonseca
Double Magnum of 2001 Cavallotto Bricco Boschis San Giuseppe

No practical / sensible reason why I ever bought these tbh. Both will outlive me

brodie

Probably an '08 Mascarello. I have a '10 La Tache that’s a strong contender but I think the urge to try it - I’ve never had anything DRC - will be too great. Plus, as the DRC was a gift from a good friend I feel inclined to share it and not wait too long for that.

I generally prefer to drink my bottles too young also…

My cellar quality drops off quite a bit after those two :slight_smile:

ideally either:
2016 Mouton
2000 Margaux
1986 Mouton

I hear these are candidates for 100 year wines. Lets hope I can test that out.

If I live to 100 (2077), Blandy’s 1977 Terrentez & D’Oliveras 1977 Boal.

But 2001 Yquem is otherwise a good bet.

From 2009-2011 PYCM made a Chassagne En Remilly, which is close to St Aubin En Remilly but not the same. Have a gander at Don Cornwell’s post:

Montevertine Le Pagole Torte 2016 from
Magnum
Had the 1990 from magnum a Month ago and,
it was delicious. [cheers.gif]

Purchased but yet to arrive. Magnums of 2018 Lafite.

custom made bottle

Interesting thread!

I would say magnums of Bartolo Mascarello and G.Rinaldi 13.

Also some Vin Jaune from Ganevat 05-09 and Macle 10-11.

And I just got some Rousseau Chambertin and CdB 17, my son’s birth year, I’ll probably drink some with him for his 40th!

magnums of 90 DRC Richebourg and La Tâche.

I hope I will not know when drinking it …

Dunn Howell Mountain…and it probably still won’t be ready.

I have a few bottles from our kids birth years that I save for special occasions with them; Some bottles that I bought when we got married to drink on our anniversaries. Anything else is fair game, even if it is considered to be too young. It’s just wine and who knows how much time we have left. If I sort by the Cellar Tracker starting drink date it is 2016 Montevertine, which says 2028 (Vinous). I would have guessed a Bordeaux, Barolo or Barbaresco from 2016.

It hasn’t happened to Neal or several billion other people?