What producers do you drink?

I am not necessarily great at tracking things I drink soon after purchase, and I have a backlog of things I need to enter/subtract from CT, but, based on CT stats:

Fourrier
Ulysse Collin
Jacques Carillon
Jean-Marc Pillot
Rollin
Hubert Lignier
Montille
Jérôme Chezeaux
Brovia
Cappellano

3 Likes

Buy Jouan. Thirty years from now, you can be the new Howard.

3 Likes

I think one producer making reds with some of the elegance of Truchot’s wines is hiding in plain sight and this is one of the most famous wine producers in Burgundy - Ramonet. Try his reds.

While I did buy my first Truchot somewhere around 1987 or 1988 (it was a 1985 CM Sentiers), today my Truchots are from vintages 1999 through 2006.

I already buy a fair amount of Jouan (love the style), and just loaded up on some more 2017s. Having been collecting less time than many on here, I end up with some disconnect between consumption and purchases. Namely that (for now at least) a I end up not consuming much from some producers I buy heavily because I want to lay them down.

Howard’s and many others’ stories similar to his always serve as a nice reminder to purchase the producers you love in quantity. Down the road, I’m hoping that mentality will be nicely rewarded.

2 Likes

Have not tried any of Ramonet’s reds. Any particular cuvees that stand out to you?

It’s interesting - I think from an overall winemaking comparison, Jouan and Truchot are quite similar ; good producers that make pleasant, pretty but rustic wines. I buy Jouan, but my hit rate on them is not what I’d hope. And I’m generally not a huge fan of rusticity in my Burgundy. For the price, it’s a good value - though that is changing (as it is with all red Burgundy).

As to what will happen in thirty years - I don’t think Jouan will see the same sort of appreciation that Truchot did, simply because the winemaking in general is much better these days. There are a lot more options so that a Domaine that disappears won’t expect such price escalation. Or, that’s my view at least. I just buy what I like :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Howard has his own views, I’m sure, but I’ve enjoyed the Boudriotte - a profile not unlike Volnay. I’ve given up on the whites, but the reds are pretty without being especially complex.

1 Like

I like the Boudriotte and the Morgeot, but I also like the villages CM and have had a couple of bottles of 2012 Pernand-Vergelesses Les Belles Filles that was really seductive. I have only had one bottle of the Clos St. Jean (a 2014) but I liked it a lot also (have 2019s of this but have not opened them yet).

The nice things about the PV and the villages CM is that I can drink them younger and keep my hands off the premier crus while they age - well, at least that is the plan.

1 Like

Thanks for the comments @Greg_K. I buy everything with the intention of drinking them, so price appreciation is not really a goal for me. Price appreciation is only a concern to the extent it makes wines I enjoy unaffordable to me.

4 Likes

Oh, I know - it was more just a comment in terms of likelihood of such appreciation, not in terms of hoping to hit the next Truchot like score. I’m sure my Fourrier would be worth more if he stopped making wine, but I’d rather he kept making wine :slight_smile:

1 Like

Weird. I could have sworn I drank more German and Bordeaux wine than this list shows. I certainly have a lot in my cellar.

Jonata
Patricia Green
Kistler
Romitorio
Zind-Humbrecht
MastroJanni
Eisele (SB)
Molitor
Goodfellow

1 Like

I have been buying from Guy in the UK. CSD VV 2016 is $175.

2 Likes

BTW I do not want to look like xHoward in 20 Years.

1 Like

My list below represents since the beginning of 2007, so basically my entire time drinking decent wine. This list (obviously) is a commentary on my past preferences far more than it is on my current preferences.

My Top 10, from most to least:

Arcadian
Rhys
Tercero
Boislauzon
Guiberteau
Dirty and Rowdy
Tablas Creek
Denner
Rochioli
Donnhoff

Ask me in another decade and I’d expect five of those ten, at most, to still be on my list.

3 Likes

Which five?

1 Like

Number 1 every year is Merry Edwards Sauv Blanc. I buy two to three cases a year and it’s my house white. I just finished a leftover half bottle with a tuna hoagie. Consistently 10% of wine consumed from my cellar. After that it’s Rivers Marie. What’s interesting is i dont track bottles friends bring. If i did i know Peter Michael and Aubert would be high because a friend opens one of their Chardonnays every Friday night for us.

1 Like

For fun, I did another sort, summarizing by producer but sorting by value of consumed bottles rather than by number of consumed bottles. Top 10 consumed producers over the same 5-year span, by total value:

Domaine Jean-Louis Chave
Domaine Robert Chevillon
Sine Qua Non
Tenuta dell’Ornellaia
Château Pontet-Canet
Château Lafite Rothschild
Antinori
Paul Jaboulet Aîné
Turley
Château Lynch-Bages

So two producers that made both lists, and one (Lafite) which made the latter list on the basis of only one bottle (my daughter’s birth-year vintage, opened at her wedding dinner).

1 Like

Arcadian for sure (for starters, I could stop drinking them now and they’d remain on the list by virtue of how much I’ve had up to this point; as it is, however, I’m still sitting on about 9 cases, which should be enough to keep them on my list 'till the day I die)

Rhys (same story as Arcadian, but I’ve pulled-back on my purchases almost entirely at this point)

Guiberteau (will climb)

Tablas Creek (just re-joined their wine club, so they’ll climb, at least for as long as we stay in their club)

Donnhoff (this one is a maybe).

All others reflect past flirtations from which I’ve moved-on for one reason or another.

2 Likes

Brana
Keller
Vallana
Egly-Ouriet
Ratzenberger
Boulard
Cavallotto
Hubert Lignier
Paul Perez
Diebolt-Vallois
Emrich-Schonleber
Bruno Giacosa

Represents consumption since 2005. Seems about right to me.

4 Likes

The following list is from the CT report, which covers wines consumed from my own cellar since 2005. It is somewhat off because I have been less diligent recently. Add SQN as probably in the top 10 (my guess is #8) and then if you want to include the Hospices Auction Group wines as a single producer, that would also go in the top ten. Cayuse and Quilceda Crack probably also nose out DuMol and Copain.

Carlisle
Saxum
Scholium Project
Rivers-Marie
Outpost
Aubert
Black Sears
Pax
DuMOL
Copain