What producers do you drink?

We often have threads here about the wines we own the most of but how about the producers whose wines we drink the most of? I did a very simple search on CellarTracker under my consumed bottles to see which producers head the list since I started tracking wines on CellarTracker in 2014. This of course does not include wines I drink from the cellars of friends, wines I drink in restaurants, etc. And it does include wines I have given away as consumed. In the list that follows, this probably overstates mostly consumption of Zilliken. While in any case, Zilliken would be in my top 10 consumed, my son-in-law loves Zilliken’s wines and I sometimes give bottles to my daughter and him.

In any case, my top 10 consumed are:

Domaine Dublère
Zilliken (Forstmeister Geltz)
Truchot
Joh. Jos. PrĂĽm
Selbach-Oster
Schloss Lieser
Von Schubert
Bernard Moreau
Reinhold Haart
Rossignol Trapet

4 Likes

Interesting question, Howard!

It’s easier to answer in whites:
PYCM
Lamy
Walter Scott

Reds are harder, though the following would be up there:
Fourrier
Bachelet
Patricia Greene
Di Costanza
Greer
Burlotto
Giacosa

I’m sure that there are others, but this is a start.

2 Likes

I haven’t drunk much wine this summer, mostly cabs and champagne.

Last few bottles:

Maybach
Myriad
Quilceda
Cristal
Vilmart
Dom Perignon
Bruno Clair
AF gros

1 Like

I had to do some data cleansing as I track also beers and unsurprisingly my top producer list is dominated by breweries, not wineries. However, these are on my top 15 list of wineries by consumption (CT data going back to 2010, so virtually all my wine consumption is there).

Chateau Musar
R. LĂłpez de Heredia
Ridge
Pheasant’s Tears
Produttori del Barbaresco
Albert Gessinger
Van Volxem
Travaglini
Grosjean
Domaine Treloar
Zenato
Torres
Suavia
Tbilvino
Domaine des Terres Dorées (Jean-Paul Brun)

6 Likes

Vincent
Coudert Fleurie
Elyse
Copain
R. LĂłpez de Heredia
Bedrock
Patricia Green
Walter Scott
Josef Walter
Hermann Ludes (bought a few cases of this with perfect age for a song from Fass)
Arcadian
Ziereisen
Enderle & Moll
Jean Foillard
Wind Gap/Pax
Ployez-Jacquemart
Château Thivin

So far in '22:
Bedrock
Ridge
Avennia
Carlisle
Turley
Long Shadows
Booker
Force Majeure

It is interesting how I have narrowed down to favorite wines as I have gotten older. Too many failed experiments have made me wary of the next greatest find. It is not good, I am probably missing out on a lot, but my cellar is full, so I am stuck with my older Bordeaux, second and third tier Burgundies, old California and German wines especially Prum.

So
VCC
Magdelaine
Figeac
Trotanoy
Pichon Lalande
Lanessan
Giscours
Poujeaux
Other Bordeaux
Trapet
Jouan
Glantenay
Prum
Diamond Creek
Togni
Ridge

Since 2007…

Turley
La Chablisienne
Ridge
SQN
Mondavi
Rivers Marie
Sandlands
Arnot Roberts
Tercero
Alban

2 Likes

Otto, I was fascinated about the inclusion of Ridge on your list. If I recall correctly, you do not live in the US. Interesting that you can find enough Ridge wines in Europe to drink that much (or do you get it from the US)? What do you drink from Ridge.

Do note that I also like Ridge wines. If I had extended my list to top 15, Ridge would have been included. They would be in the top 10 of producers for wines I own - probably a bit lower on consumption because I think Monte Bello needs a long time to mature and because I have been experimenting with aging Geyserville and like the results so far.

1 Like

Mark, we really feel sorry for you stuck drinking VCC, Magdelaine, Trapet and the rest.

1 Like

Well, in the past Ridge was hard to come by and today it’s even more difficult. I doubt things are going to change in the near future, so probably in some time Ridge will drop off my list.

I do enjoy Ridge’s style a lot when the wines are on, but how successful the wines are seems to be quite dependent on the vintage - the best ones are exceptional, whereas the lesser vintages tend to be a bit too soft or sweet for my taste. The oak also seems to vary quite a lot - in some vintages it doesn’t seem to show at all, in others it can be quite in-your-face.

I am quite sure I’d love Monte Bello (especially with some age), but I’m really not into buying wines with three-or-four-digit prices, so I don’t have any bottles in my cellar and most likely won’t be having in the future either.

Btw - this here event is one of the culprits of my high Ridge consumption: TN: Ridge mini-verticals (Lytton Springs, Geyserville, Estate Cab)

2 Likes

I know. Couldn’t afford them now though

I don’t keep an inventory of my daily drinkers, but I did start using CT to track consumption of all bottles (from my cellar only, not off wine lists or brought to offlines by others) right about 5 years ago. My list is very diversified, with the top producer accounting for only 2.4% of the total bottles consumed, and the number 10 producer accounting for just 0.9%.

Some of these reflect one-shot or two-shot bargains I happened to buy heavily recently for short-term drinking because I really liked one vintage or someone (Garagiste mostly, it appears, though Usseglio and Clos St Jean were Premier Cru) had a closeout deal, and I happen to have gone through what I bought during the last 5 years. Those producers would not be in my top 10 if it went back 10 or 20 years, and will gradually decline in rank on this list as time goes by because I only bought the one or two times, but because this top 10 happens to catch 2017-2022, there they are. Pretty much every producer on this list other than Fernandez (I still buy Finca la Mata and Adras regularly as daily drinkers), Turley, Bedrock, and Chevillon fits that description. Chevillon and Turley will also drop as time goes by, as I’ve stopped buying them (due to price in Chevillon’s case and due to dropping them for Bedrock in Turley’s case), while Bedrock rises. The Domaine Grand Nicolet CdR 2014 is one of my all-time QPR champs (up there with 1987 Quail Ridge Cab and 1990 Leroy Bourgogne), but all 13 bottles I bought are gone (and all were drunk during this 5-year window, as I bought one and then went back for a case after drinking it).

Top 10 consumed, by producer, Sept. '17 - date, per CT:

Ca’ Rozzeria
Domaine Grand Nicolet
Turley
Domaine Pierre Usseglio & Fils
Isaac Fernández Selección
Wind Gap
Les Halos de Jupiter
Clos St. Jean
Bedrock Wine Co.
Domaine Robert Chevillon

3 Likes

Jeez, lots of Dog Point SB this year…

Dog Point
Extra Dimensional Wine Co/D&R
Desire Lines
Ruston Family
Francois Cotat
Carlisle
Lapierre
Pott
Jolie Laide
Myriad
Togni
Shafer

The top 4 were the only ones over 5 so far this year. I know Craggy Range & Kono Sauv Blanc should be on this list, but I didn’t keep track of those.

Great thread. Reaffirming to see my list is filled with personal favourites and producers I continue to buy year in, year out.

Dirty & Rowsy
Foillard
Taittinger
Musar
JJ Prum
Falkenstein
Peter Lauer
Keller
Goodfellow
Walter Scott

3 Likes

one of the very few advantages of being older is having been able to buy wines at much more reasonable prices than are available today.

Seeing Truchot at the top of the list of wines consumed for you is certainly envy-inducing. A great position you get to be in now enjoying the wines

1 Like

He started buying them in 1988!

2 Likes

Since 2004 (CellarTracker stats):
Donnhoff
ESJ
Rhys
Selbach-Oster
Idlewild
D&R
Bedrock
Ridge
Leitz
Muller-Catoir

• This omits a couple of producers where I gave away/donated wines that inflate the “consumption” statistic.

For me looking back over the past 4 years Carlisle is the clear winner.

Other wineries with high consumption include:
Walter Hansel
Tablas Creek
Quilceda creek
Betz