What is your pick on the most undervalued wine (producer, vintage, grape, etc.) in the world?

I thought of posting that, and I agree with the sentiment. I’m not sure I can think of another wine with as much distinctiveness, character, and evolutionary upside that you can buy for $40-50 at retail.

But it has its share of detractors, as well as bottle variation/quality issues, so there will be different opinions on it. Maybe that’s what keeps the price in its current undervalued state.

Musar is a good call.

White: Assyrtiko from Santorini
Red: Roagna Rosso or Alto Piemonte Nebbiolo
Pink: Château Pradeaux Bandol Rosé
‘Natural’: Jean Foillard Morgon Côte du Py

There has been a mention of Languedoc (Roussillon)… Early-on for Lafage.

I have a few dozen other Languedoc - Roussillon reccos that I have to prune drastically because I’m the importer, but Chapoutier’s Bila Haut, many wines at many different price levels, belongs in the conversation. As does Puech Haut, also many different wines at many different price levels.

Lots of love for the Loire, but so far no specific mention of Savennieres, which is my first choice for most undervalued Appellation. I happen to like aged whites; nobody below a certain economic level can any longer call Chassagne, Puligny or Meursault undervalued and we all sadly know that they are no longer really in the category of ageworthy whites, so Savennieres it is… with a nod to Semillons and Semillon-based wines from Bordeaux, Australia and Argentina; maybe a few other places.

Dan Kravitz

I was quite surprised walking through Wine Exchange last week to see Baumard Savennieres Clos du Papillon for $49. That’s just one wine at one store (albeit a store with generally very good pricing), but I had no idea the prices had gone up that much.

Was wondering why this is so undervalued. Maybe if more Loire critics come online (e.g., Vinous), this could change.

Just had the 2017 Huet Le Mont last night. Beautiful wine, rich, yet good acidity really brings out the complex herbal notes on the finish. I think Huet is back(?) at the top of their game now (2016 and 2017 both excellent)…

The price has gone up quite a bit on a percentage basis in the last 7-8 years. I think I was buying 2010 and 2011 Le Mont and Le Haut Lieu (both Sec) for mid to high $20s in the year after release. I think those run mid $30s to mid $40s at retail for current vintages.

That’s not to disagree about them being good value - I think they still are. But the word is getting out.

I’d also note they had some uneven vintage results in recent years, plus some premox issues (I’ve had some premoxed bottles from 2009-2011 vintages in the last few years), so that might play a small role.

Another vote for this. $15 a bottle for a wine I scored 92 points…can’t beat it!

+1

Zinfandel goes well with a lot of food. Zinfandel from 100+ year old vines and garners 92-98 points respectively for $30-$40 a bottle seems like the ultimate undervalued wine in the world.

I agree. It is on my list, too, but at that price I’d much rather be drinking Chablis or Riesling. My list also includes Loire Chenin Blanc (Chidaine, Foreau, etc.) and Chianti (Felsina, Monsanto, etc.) in the low to mid $20 range.

I agree. But I think it depends on what you tend to eat. I eat a lot of grilled meats, a lot of Asian-style meats and vegetables, and I tend to use stronger flavors and spices in my cooking. And as such, zinfandel is often the best, or one of the best, pairings.

For people who emphasize different kinds of eating, it may be suited much less often.

And of course, like everything, it depends on what you like in wine. Wine you like is a much better value than wine you don’t like!

Chris, you are on a “pithy” roll in this thread. I’m liking it. Kudos and cheers!

I notice people talking about those issues a lot. Funny thing is, I’ve never seen it. I have had bottles that didn’t perform up to expectations (usually those not imported by Broadbent), but I haven’t had more than maybe 1-2 bottles that were “dirtier” than others, and I’ve had quite a few bottles over the years (for example, I’ve probably opened over a case of the '99, plus drunk from several bottles and a magnum opened by friends, and that’s just one vintage). It’s worth noting that I find Pegau and a huge percentage of “natural” wines undrinkable. I actually find Musar to be more consistently great than some much more expensive and prestigious wines. I wonder how many of the claims of wild variation in quality have to do with poor storage, which would also kill other wines, though in a different way.

I didn’t mention it, but +1 me on old vine Zin.

And taking into account global warming, red Bordeaux from basic Appellation, moving through places like Castillon and Fronsac and getting to places like Satellite Saint-Emilion and Graves (not Pessac-Leognan) can be part of the conversation.

Dan Kravitz

+1 on this. I’m drinking a 16 Le Mont Sec right now, and it is a show stopper. This is like Dauvissat/Raveneau level good, and it set me back around $40.

As others have pointed out, lots of amazing Loire values. Baudry, Pèpiére, Raffault and too many others to mention.

every time i drink baudry’s les granges or les grezeaux, i always ask out loud why is this so damn cheap? its almost always punching way above its weight.

Good call on less heralded Bordeaux. Selective choices from petite chateau BDX are certainly up there. The only thing detracting from those wines is that there’s still so much plonk. With careful selection though, there is huge value in that category. Recently had a ‘12 Senejac purchased for $12 that was outstanding on day 2. Ridiculous quality at that price.

1 Like

I would have to agree. A glass of Fino Sherry may be the world’s greatest bargain.

Thomas and Richard, can you suggest/recommend some Fino Sherry? Thanks.

1 Like

These are all under $20 and probably my three favorites.

Emilio Hidalgo Fino Sherry
Lustau Jarana Fino Sherry
Delgado-Zuleta Fino Sherry