What is your pick on the most undervalued wine (producer, vintage, grape, etc.) in the world?

No surprise that I agree with Lee on this one.

I will agree with this.

The Loire seems to be a recurring choice in this thread, which is a great choice. Also, Iā€™ve not had Pepiereā€™s, but will be sure to pick up a bottle now. Givry Iā€™d second too, relative to Burgundy anyway, and add Domaine du Cellier aux Moines. Iā€™ll have to look into the other winesā€“have not had many sweet wines (yet!). Thanks for everyoneā€™s contribution!

Hard to argue with Loire for the most undervalued region. So much quality and so few truly expensive or unattainable wines. Obviously that is a huge region, but notably each sub-region also qualifies under those criteria. Only Rougeard and maybe some franc de pied bottlings are very expensive or hard to find, or some producers with no/poor US distribution.

German riesling in general as well. You have a few more trophy bottles in that category, particularly GGs, TBAs, and BAs, but the amount of widely available and extremely inexpensive quality bottles is still so high.

Perhaps not the most underrated but Iā€™m increasingly finding Sicily, Etna and Cerasoulo, offer a great deal of value relative to cost.

In the marketplace right now: 2016 Chianti Classico Riserva in the $20-$30 range (Castellare, Felsina, Monsanto, etcā€¦)

For red wine, hard to argue with chianti or Rosso di Montalcino. Iā€™ve had many a $5-$10 chianti that were quite drinkable and food friendly.

While I agree Pepiere Clos des Briords is a great bargain at its price, I wonder how many of the people saying that would keep buying it if it were even $30.

Some that come to mind for me:

Kutch Sonoma Coast pinot $39 (now 15 years running at that price). Fruit, complexity, balance, ageworthiness at levels far above that price point.

Scherrer Old Mature Vines. If you buy by the case on futures, I think itā€™s $25 a bottle. Elegant red fruited zin with a track record for improving with age.

Baudry and Joguet Chinon

Thivin Cote de Brouilly

Vintage Port

[winner.gif]

Gonna do some rambling . . .
-Iā€™ll agree that the Loire on the whole as a region is undervalued
-Although I am new to the grape, I think Riesling in many cases is undervalued/ underappreciated
-Iā€™ll agree with the Clos des Briords, and also say a solid basic muscadet is undervalued/underappreciated
-Montepulciano dā€™Abruzzo is pretty good for the $, whether at $10 or less (e.g. Fantini-Farnese ) or at $20+ (e.g. Marina Cvetic)
-Finally, inspired by the specificity of Howardā€™s answer, Iā€™ll give you these two: 2017 Patricia Green Pinot Noir ā€œReserveā€ , 2017 Chateau Thivin Cote de Brouilly

Underpriced wines are often underpriced because people donā€™t like the style. Unfortunately this also means the odds are that you may not enjoy the style either, hence they may not be underpriced for you. E.g. I think Port, Sauternes, and Rioja are very underpriced given the quality and ageability of the wines, however I donā€™t love the style of any of those three hence do not invest.

If you really like a style that is generally unpopular with others then youā€™re in luck and can fill a cellar inexpensively with the very top producers of those wines.

Iā€™d agree with Eric, and say Portugese wines generally are undervalued; many have genuine distinctiveness and complexity. I donā€™t know them as well as some, but Mouchao and Redoma come to mind. Commando G in Spain, their entry level, too, is impressive. Iā€™d also throw Sandlands into the mix. Pepiere is certainly not shabby; Iā€™d throw Chidaine in there. Finally, southern Italy, Sicily, is hard to argue with in reds, anything Nerello Mascalese.

1 Like

I also agree with this.

I am getting on this bus too.

I would probably buy Pepiere Clos de Briords up to about $55/bottle. Itā€™s a tremendous wine, regardless of the low price. Even at $55, it would still be my preference over many wines at higher prices.

Honestly, for many years the Dauvissat AOC Chablis could have been in the mix for this topic. Now itā€™s considerably more expensive and I still buy it when I can find itā€¦Clos de Briords would be no different to me.

Hard to call out one wine. But if I had to,do so, Iā€™d pick Domaine Aubert de Villaine Bourgogne Rouge. Three separate cuvĆ©es, but all excellent.

More generically, cru Beaujolais and Sauternes bury should be in he discussion

Not a single Languedoc recommendation? Even with the tariffs, they are undervalued and underpriced !!!

Even you didnā€™t make one.

FLX

I canā€™t argue with JJ Prum.

That surprises me. I think itā€™s a nice value, but to me, not worth anywhere near that. I do wonder how many people saying Briords would pay considerably more for it if the price jumped.

For me, especially keeping that in mind, Chateau Musar Rouge deserves mention here. Very few wines can evolve into something so great and cost that little on release. And yes, I would pay significantly more per bottle and buy fewer if I had to. Iā€™ve probably mentioned this in similar threads before, but itā€™s nice to revisit the topic once in a while.

1 Like