What is your pick on the most undervalued wine (producer, vintage, grape, etc.) in the world?

Producer: Aldo Vajra and family
Vintage: 1993, almost anywhere in the famous European wine regions
Grape: Grasevina

Bob!!!

Ok. Youā€™re right, Nathan. I should have given a shout out to Verdicchio, Garganega, and maybe Timorasso, except for some of those prices.

Timorasso! Who even knows what that is?

2015 Cerbaiona Brunello di Montalcino and you will not find a single bottle on the planet!
It ended up being declassified by the new owners after major sale conflicts with the winery seller, Diego Molinari, it was blended with some 2013, bottled and sold out as a Rosso last year for $30 per bottle in the US.
As Jancis wrote "ā€œMid ruby that is quite impressively concentrated for this vintage. Subtle nose of raspberry, a hint of tobacco, orange peel and cherry. Already a little progressed, but showing real energy. Really pretty and fresh focused raspberry. Glorious on the palate, with fine and firm tannins on the finish. So unlike any other Rosso di Montalcino from this vintage. Pure class.ā€
Amazing deal, especially when considering the reviews and pricing of recent vintages. Another couple of years in the cellar and it will be a great QPR drinker.

Many of you are fortunate to be able to enjoy wines that are not on othersā€™ radar. Overall, though, particularly when it comes to undervalued wines that Iā€™d want to shout about, itā€™s Rioja 100%. There is a perversity involved here though, as, if it catches on it becomes more expensive. No matter, Iā€™d rather be a champion of these fine wines.

Rioja can be just as delicate as a fine Pinot Noir, and as companionable; it is most versatile. The wine is already aged upon release. Itā€™s still possible to buy older bottles easily.

In a very broad sense, Italian whites have to be the most undervalued wines. So many unheralded, but delicious wines.

This is a great thread for me to refer to in the future, when Iā€™m using one of those $100 off wine.com coupons - although most of these European wines I know nothing about, and donā€™t know how readily available they are on US wine sites.

1 Like

Canā€™t believe I left out Rioja.

I like wine with bottle age and secondary character. Mid-level Crianzas can be found for $10 and abound for ~$11 - 20. For Riservas, add five bucks. Unreal values.

Dan Kravitz

Very broad is right, because most of the Italian whites I like are $100+/bottle (Valenttiini, Miani, Pepe,ā€¦), and value is Not a word I would use to describe them.

Hard to argue with this. I dunno why they canā€™t get any respect, but there are really great ones at every price level that compete with the value proposition of Muscadet.

whiteā€”Muscadet, Pepiere.
redā€”Rioja.

Pinerolese & Friuli

Which Rioja bodegas from more recent vintages are you all fans of? I pretty much quit buying Rioja post-2004, but Iā€™d be interested to hear of houses making good, non modernist juice in 2020

Morellino di Scansano
Cru Beaujolais
everything from Synchromesh in Canada

Markus, singling out some of the top producers and then saying value doesnā€™t apply to them, or that region, doesnā€™t make sense to me. I wouldnā€™t use value to describe those producers either. I think there are many white wines in Italy that easily compete with Pepiere Muscadet in the less than $25 category.

Yes, I have had some premox Huet from 2010 in particular. And these wines also did not seem to have the same character as the older bottles, or for that matter, the recent ones. But anyway, this is why I said they seem to be back at the top of their game.

I just bought a case of the 2017 Huet Le Mont for $35 a bottle. Whatever the historical costs, it is not easy to find a world-class wine for $35 in this day and ageā€¦

The ā€˜16 Huets went under the radar a bit but are fabulous across the whole range.

This is right up our alley, where can I find this?!

FWIW. Got a bottle of the Hidalgo and gave it a tryout over three consecutive nights. First by itself, then with Shrimp Scampi, and finally with a Spanish inspired cheese & appetizers plate. The wine was a complete no-go for my wife. For me it was interestingly different, but the flavor profile was not really in my taste pleasure zone. Glad I gave it a go. [cheers.gif]

Letā€™s make it a bandwagon.