What is the most memorable wine you've ever had?

Interesting, I had the 1928 Pichon Lalande in the late 90s, it was dead/oxidized within 5 mins. lol. Probably had it too late!

1895 Pichon Baron in 2013- just like drinking liquid silk. Fully resolved and a joy at Berns.

the bottle of 2002 Cristal that i opened up with my now wife a couple minutes after we got engaged.

'76 DRC GE. It was like drinking rainbows.

1863 Wiese & Krohn Colheita Port from cask. This was before Taylor Fladgate bought them out. I literally had to find a place to sit (ended up on some stone stairs in the lodge) in order to experience this wine. It was a bow and bare your head to God sort of moment.

Awesome story

I cannot actually answer believe it or not. Multiple wines have crossed my mind; some that I worked on over a bottle, others where it was mostly just a tasting or two at a wine dinner. 1985 Lynch Bages, which really started me on this journey? 1982 Latour? 1990 Neillon Batard? 1985 Groth Reserve? 1974 Mondavi Napa I think it was, that showed beautifully after 20 or so years of age? 1989 Beaucastel? So many thoughts…

1978 Domaine Ramonet Montrachet. My wife, 6 months pregnant with our first child, and I drank it with lunch at Lameloise in Sept 1983. Memorable in many ways, not the least of which was the ‘two glasses of wine a day’ then allowed on the trip by her obstetrician turned out on that day to be two huge glasses full aka almost the entire bottle. Our son turned out fine; more likely because of rather than in spite of her wine consumption on that trip.

my best ever white wines have all been Ramonet Montrachet–86, 96, 82. 96 has also been badly premoxed more than once.

Don’t think I could pick just one.
The ones that come to mind:
1982 Pichon Lalande
1990 Latour
1990 Margaux
1974 Montelena Napa
1978 Montelena Napa

1959 leoville las cases

2001 Jean Grivot Vosne Romanee 1er Cru Les Beaux Monts at Café Grey in NY. I was just out of college and had never had a really nice wine before and asked the Somm to provide a recommendation on something slightly out of our price range for my bday dinner. It totally opened my eyes to what wine could be.

Had to call back the restaurant the next day to have him spell the name to me [basic-smile.gif]

I don’t know about most memorable- but had dinner with one of my sons in Rome last night and we drank 2 bottles of Lucien LeMoine 2012 Meursault Perrieres that were MAGNIFICENT .I figured they’d be good, but there’s no chance we’ll ever forget those 2 bottles. 100pt noses,with a mouth that was almost as good.Crazy delicious wine.Unforgettable !!!

I definitely can’t pick just one.

Maybe it’s the 1992 Maya, which I drank early in this hobby and was just blown away by. Or the 1890 Oliveiras Verdelho Reserva that Eric Ifune was generous enough to bring to a Madeira tasting that is still, by far, the oldest wine I have ever had. Or the 1997 Screaming Eagle, a wine from my dad’s cellar when I graduated from medical school. Or a 2009 Coche Dury Les Perrieres, which is maybe the only time I have tasted a wine and thought, “This is worth $1000.” Or the 2003 Yquem, which is just awesome in every way. Or the 1971 Giacomo Borgogno Barbaresco, which is my standard for Nebbiolo.

Nope, I definitely can’t pick just one. And isn’t that the point? There are so many wines, if there was one that was so clearly above the others in the experience it provides, that’s all I would drink regardless of how expensive it was.

1982 Cheval Blanc at an 82 horizontal in 92. It showed me just how great Bordeaux can be.

There are two for me. In 2008, I opened a 1990 La Turque. It was very good wine (and indeed one of the participants that I’ll refer to below told me just a couple days ago while visiting that she still remembers it to this day), but the real reason for the memorable part is that I opened and poured it to complete one of my Great Life Tasks, which was to have 9 of my closest friends in the same room, some of whom had never met each other, and get the chance to tell them all what they’ve meant to me and my life.

The other was a half bottle of 2001 Chateau D’Yquem which was my first perfect wine, had a couple years ago.

The 2008 PYCM-elevaged Meursault Genevrieres that I shared with Buzz and his gang in May 2015 would rank very highly on the list too.

Haere Ra,

Mike

That was one of the first “big” wines that my budding wine tasting group popped back in the early '90s. There were 5 of us and we each chipped in $20 bucks for the $100 bottle. It made quite an impression. I popped one last year for a close friend of mine that loves modern Caymus, and I have to say, it is still very damn fine, and I don’t even drink Cali Cabs that much any more.

I could have easily said the 2005 Roulot Les Vireuils you brought to our first dinner in 09…THE wine that sucked me into the Burgundy madness!!!

[cheers.gif]

Yes…me too! My first $100 wine…I use to buy a bottle every couple months from our country club because I had to use up the monthly minimum! Always thought those SS wines 90,91,92,94 were amazing!