What is the most memorable wine you've ever had?

Fun to see a Musar mentioned by someone else. I don’t think I’ve had the '84 but the 1972 Chateau Musar is my selection for this thread. Probably the greatest wine I’ve had in my life.

I was also interested to see the '75 BV Georges de Latour listed, as it was my top wine of 2015 at the age of 40. It started off merely good and just kept getting stronger and stronger as the night went on. By dessert it was in full song. Great wine that blows away the '74s I’ve had.

Another wine mentioned in this thread, the '82 Pichon Lalande would have been my top choice before I had the '72 Musar.

1964 Cheval Blanc.

Most memorable was Heitz 1974 Martha’s Vineyard. My brother brought it for my birthday dinner a few years ago. It was everything you imagine a perfectly aged classic Napa Cabernet should be, not one flaw. Every single sip was spectacular. I wish we had a few bottles in our cellar.

Must have been in the early 90’s when I had an off the charts good '89 Haut Brion Blanc that threw me over the top - yep! Tasted maybe 5+ years ago and it was just OK… Also, '71 RC from magnum maybe 5 years ago was an apex experience for sure!

Best part of these memorable experiences is that I can recall the entire night just because of a wine - spectacular! Happy Holidays all.

Have you subsequently tasted with Gilman?

1945 Haut Brion - in the late 90s, nothing ever come close since, not that I didn’t try!

I suspect environment, companions, and state of mind all play a big part in those magical moments.

1978 Giacosa Santo Stefano Riserva…shared with a friend…not tasted but drank…

Then…
'82 Latour
'82 Mouton
'68 Mastroberardino Taurasi Riserva
'75 d’Yquem
'90 Guigal La Landonne
'90 Jaboulet La Chapelle

61 Latour

#2 - '34 La Tache

TJ Swan, Mellow Nights. Some park in Germantown, Wisconsin.
Officers of the law were there too.

It was a Riesling TBA. Strangely I can’t remember the producer but I can remember the aroma and taste like I am drinking it right now. It was really seared into my mind.

For red, it was an older vintage of Clos Saron Pinot Noir. Cant remember what year but it was stunning. That was maybe tied with 2001 Mugnier Musigny and 2006 Drouhin Musigny. 2002 Fourrier Clos st Jaque did not suck either. A 2002 Joseph Swan Trenton Estate also is a magnificient wine over multiple occasions. Hard to pick just one but if I had to it was probably that TBA.

Oh and Krug Rose was once very spectacular and quite memorable.

At a post-Thanksgiving dinner with friends last year, 1982 Cheval Blanc along with 2001 Vieux Donjon, both singing majestically.

1986 Mouton
1990 Lynch Bages (tried in my early 20’s, one of my first great wines, so memorable)
1990 d’Yquem

Soldera 1990.

Probably not the best wine ive ever had but surely very memorable a few years back. it was only a “back up” bottle for a corked 90 rousseau chambertin but it was singing!

About 3-4 years ago, one of my best friends brought an '89 Petrus to dinner (a client had gifted it to him). Just the two of us shared this bottle over an evening, our wives went for white wine. Pretty much the most incredible wine I’ve had, also pretty exotic for a Bordeaux. My buddy was so blown away that he bought another for his 40th birthday that was 9 months later. That birthday night we popped the second 1989 Petrus, but this time in the company of 1982 and 1986 Mouton plus a 2001 Screaming Eagle. The Petrus was King. Had an 1989 Haut Brion that same year with my buddy, that I would say is perhaps the most perfect archetype of a left bank Bordeaux, but that Petrus just had an exotic component that makes it incredible and quite unique. Lucky to have enjoyed these bottles in this type of small group setting over an evening. I cannot otherwise afford them!

Not the most expensive, or best, but the most memorable bottle I’ve had, was twenty years ago.
A 1992 DRC RSV fresh from wine shop (like $100). My first GC Burg. I was a sworn Bordeaux drinker, and had only tried a few weak odd burgs, that wasn’t really My taste !
This explosion of exotic aromas and flavors stunned Me, and the hunt for this “first kiss” experience was on, and still is.

-Søren.

1968 Heitz Martha in 1974. I can still remember the olive, mint, raspberry flavors. It also had a touch of sulfur, but even that seemed attractive in the context of the other flavors.

Not privately. But, I have been at a few events where he was and have spoken with him and drank wine with him. Why?

1929 Bouchard Pommard Rugiens. Straight from the Bouchard cellars and served with dinner at the Domaine. No doubt the setting had an influence but if I close my eyes I can still taste that wine 11 years later.

1989 Lynch Bages, at around age 15. I was already into wine more than casually, but that was by far the best wine I’d had to that point and really amped up my sense of what was possible. Never had a chance to have it again, but hopefully someday.

I pick one of each type:
1959 Leroy Musigny
1928 Pichon Lalande

Both consumed in the early 80’s

TTT