What is the most memorable wine you've ever had?

In terms of experience: 1959 Mouton.

In terms of being memorable because it’s the oldest wine I’ve had: 1890 Chateau Margaux

I need to dig one of these out from a box to try - haven’t really sampled many of the LeMoine whites before! CHEERS

I want to thank all of you wine mavens that answered my brazen question, for it is so difficult to only pick one wine. I just joined the forum and this gave me a great gauge to the passion and knowledge you all possess. Obviously, some of you had better budget than otbers, but ultimately, and as I suspected, the memorable bottle had a story, a memory attached to it. Thanks for the education!

Loved the 90-94 SS. Too bad that they don’t make those wines anymore…

The finest wine I have ever tasted was not the most memorable. That was the 1955 La Mission, which I have had on a couple occasions, and both bottles were exquisite. Nor was it my epiphany wine, Giscours 1979.

No, I think the most memorable wines were on 9/11. I was supposed to meet a close friend, Terry Robards at the Kittle House. Terry had driven down from Lake Placid, about 6 hours north of us. With all the shock, devastation and tears, he insisted we should still meet, “we would not allow them too win by just sitting around.”

He had brought a 1982 Ducru, I a Dujac CDR 1996. We sat in the almost empty restaurant and talked. After an hour or so, the sommelier, waiters and later the owner sat down with us, and I think somehow at the end of the evening, after talking some of the weight and pessimism seemed to lift (a few bottles from the KH cellars helped). Not a good evening, but a memorable one.

[quote=“AAgrawal”]I definitely can’t pick just one.

Maybe it’s the 1992 Maya, which I drank early in this hobby and was just blown away by.

My daughter’s name is Maya and she was born in 1992, and I have this and other vintages kept for her.

For me it was a Blain Gagnard Bâtard Montrachet 2005. My father opened it for the xmas eve diner in 2007 or 2008, and it opened my eyes as to why people were drinking wine with food. I was already drinking wine at the time, but this was the first wine that “wowed” me.

Alain

It was actually just a few weeks ago on Thanksgiving. I’ve been ITB for about 8 years now and I keep trying to get my parents into better wine, which is working for the most part but they’re on a budget. It had been a couple of really stressful months due to my dad having some health issues so I surprised my parents and brother with some Dom Perignon 06. While it wasn’t the best bottle I’ve ever personally had I saw my dads face light up when it tried it and he had his moment and he finally got it.

Unfortunately, now I assume they want me to bring DP home every time I visit…but that was probably one of the more memorable bottles I’ve had.

Mateus rosé (NV). I had this bottle in a small town in Portugal, sitting outside of a crowded bar two good friends, on a beautiful May evening. The thing I’ve learned about wine is that it’s not really about the wine at all; it’s about the people that you share it with.

It is exceptional, but I don’t think it will improve from where it is now, and it won’t last forever. I would recommend you find the right occasion and open one! I’ve had most of the 92-97, and the 92 and 94 are highlights.

Yes, I had the '92 6 months ago, it was sublime. Thx.

1972 Lafarge Volnay Clos des Chenes consumed in 2010. Here’s the (admittedly poorly written) note:

9/11/2010 - I WROTE: NR
OK, I understand now why people spend vast amounts of money on burgundy. This was just great. It doesn’t knock you over your head… this was no 100 point super wine… but several hours after dinner, I’m still sitting here with a stupid little smile on my face. Not in a million years would I have guessed this was 38yrs old. Slight browning throughout, but mostly brilliant ruby in the glass. Beautiful nose, silky palate, just wonderful. What fascinated me was how much this screamed out Volnay. No sois bois, no barnyard, just silk and roses in the mouth. This is like a first love… seems to be in a great plateau of drinkability… no signs of fading.