What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

Obvious indeed. In his very best year, he could make 12 cases which he said were hard to justify. So suggesting he do it again for BD…? Yes, that would be awesome.

1 Like

Excited to see I’ve got three bottles of the CF in storage! Probably an example of too much wine for the other thread if I have to look it up.

I didn’t even realize Walla Walla was in WA, LMFAO… Scratch the “looking for other Oregon CF” comment, I’m an idiot.

I imagine that makes work in the cellar a lot harder to to handle with such a low volume and without being able to top up.

We had a couple of gallons to top with, but other than that it’s definitely a challenge. That’s the main reason there’s no 19-22 versions of the wine.

4 Likes

When you see the golden wax atop a bottle of Goodfellow CF in the back of your cellar.

3 Likes

This makes me look forward to enjoying my 3 bottles even more!

1 Like

I have to admit that I have come to really dislike(hate) lots below about 100 cases. They are always interesting but with 2 kids, and 4000 other cases to manage the time dealing with tiny lots either doesn’t exist (yielding very poor results in the bottle) or is carved out of a different task’s time (yielding me believing that poor results are imminent…). Neither is good, though one does lead to funny stories about stress levels and reality at wine dinners.

1 Like

Wait…raising two kids takes up a lot of your time?! I’m right there with ya…

4 Likes

I’m sure there are other ways of coming up with funny cellar anecdotes that don’t come at the expense of your sanity :cheers:

Pogeba’d a '13 Mystery cuvée that just landed this morning.

I would say it’s not what I expected. Surprisingly lightweight for a Goodfellow bottle, nose is clipped, very little fruit with an unusual tannic bite on the finish. Maybe due to a bit of a stunted development in bottle, which I think Marcus mentioned was due to the DIAM 30. More air and it doesn’t get better. I started to wonder if it was flawed.

Popped a second one and this is completely different. Bright red fruit on the nose, not muted at all. Palate has the more expected weight and body from Goodfellow and the finish is a touch astringent, but balanced - maybe a touch green from the vintage?

Dare I say I found a corked bottle under DIAM 30? :face_in_clouds:

3 Likes

I can’t speak to TCA, but under Diam we’ve seen mute or flat bottles occasionally.

It’s MUCH less common than issues with cork, but it does happen. I would guess that itms about 1 in a 1000. I’ve seen 6-7 bottles in the last 8 years.

Of course, we’ll credit you for the flawed bottle.

1 Like

Are you going to reveal what the Mystery Cuvee is? I could guess, but I’ll keep it to myself.

For what it’s worth, a while back @larry_schaffer shared an experience in encountering a DIAM cork with TCA

1 Like

Of course, you guys are awesome, but I don’t need a credit. It’s not your fault! I’m more interested in finding a unicorn for science.

Also, I have found other flawed bottles under DIAM from other producers. Maybe it’s less common than natural cork, but I definitely don’t think it’s the silver bullet that they purport.

1 Like

2019 Goodfellow Family Cellars Chardonnay Durant Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (3/2/2023)
Pure class! What strikes me first(noticed this in the 19 Richards as well) is the IMPECCABLE balance this has, and the weightlessness it carries, yet totally packed with flavor and feel! Amazing concentrated goodness at 12.5 abv. Pure crystalline orchard fruits with a little tropical flair…candied lemon pucker…creamy white flower florals…very nuanced flint strike reduction…salty crushed minerals showing a wonderful tautness and precision, yet that balanced honey butter sheen really makes for an appealing texture…just KILLER finish of chalky dry extract and refreshing citrus sours…move over Walter Scott…might just be my new favorite white Burgundy killer from the OR!!! (96 points)

Posted from CellarTracker

4 Likes

The mystery cuvee is a single puncheon of 100% whole cluster Whistling Ridge.

7 Likes

Thank you!

We’re very much in agreement that it’s not a silver bullet. But the decrease in bottle variation with Diam would be enough for me to go with them for closures. Lowering flawed bottles to what we’ve seen is also a big improvement over cork. I don’t love the way screwcaps age, the Larry may prove me wrong at some point…

3 Likes

I wonder though if the decrease in reporting isn’t due to people being told that DIAM is flawless so if they sense a flaw in a bottle, they wouldn’t dare report it and ask for a replacement? This is not an opinion by any stretch, just a question. I know when I first heard of DIAM and then started to find flawed bottles I was hesitant to say anything. After enough time I’ve realized that it’s cork like any other and it’s bound to have some flaws. I have no idea if it’s less than natural cork, but I’ve found enough flaws for me to leave the jury out in my book on the actual change.

But naturally you’re the professional and you deal with hundreds of cases a year so I don’t have more than a puncher’s chance of figuring all this out.

1 Like