Message in the DIAM Number?

Yes, I’ve had corked bottles under DIAM. Multiple. Also other flaws.

1 Like

I got called “too fresh” in the late 80’s once for trying kiss a high school girl friend….

1 Like

Mike, if your aging curve is assuming twice the life for every 10 degree F. reduction, I believe you are using the wrong temperature scale. The oft-quoted figure is that chemical reactions double for every 10 degrees C., so 18F.

As a quick side questions for those that know, is DIAM pronounced ‘die am’ or ‘dee am’?

1 Like

Dee-am

2 Likes

Have you ever tried to return? The only ‘corked’ DIAM showed signs on the top of the DIAM but the wine seemed unaffected…

2 Likes

Of course. I recently had one from Marcus who graciously offered a return and freely admitted he’s had plenty of others.

1 Like

I’m not sure how we’ve made it this far without someone making a message in a bottle joke…

1 Like

So are you sending an S.O.S. to the board?

2 Likes

Curious whether @Marcus_Goodfellow thought it was ‘corked’ or something else…

Cheers

1 Like

I had a corked wine under DIAM once. Walter Scott kindly replaced the bottle. I posted about it on this board in fact;

Ha! And now I realize you (Larry) had lots of messages in that thread.

2 Likes

I have come across a TCA tainted DIAM, was surprised to say the least. Though that was the one and only…

So far we are up to four reports of corked bottles under DIAM over what time period? I had four corked bottles with regular corks last month!

1 Like

Mine was perhaps 2 years ago, and Vince I’ve experienced about a dozen others without TCA. And during that tasting where I experienced the TCA, there were 5 others that did not have any TCA.

Cheers

I’ll take my chances with the Diam TCA risk, it’s much lower. I think oxidation risk is also much lower than with natural cork. Nothing is perfect, though.

-Al

4 Likes

We import thousands of cases a year of wine closed with Diam, and I’ve never had a corked bottle with it, other than the small number of bottlings that suffered from environmental TCA, which of course had nothing to do with the cork. I love the closure.

Unless I missed it, my question has not really been answered. Maybe lack of coherence in expressing it, or maybe just a WB thread walk.

I’m interested in how and why a winemaker who uses DIAM closures makes his final selection for a particular number from the various choices of numbers eg 3, 5, 10, etc AND ESPECIALLY if the choice is (intentionally or not) also sending a message on whether the winemaker views the wine as a short, mid, or long term drinker.

Any winemakers here on WB who use DIAM want to chip on?

2 Likes

The answer to your question is already in your question.

1 Like

If she didn’t want to kiss you, in what way was she a girlfriend?

1 Like

There’s been discussions about this with winemakers in other threads, like the main DIAM thread. They make the choice for various reasons, cost and ideal wine development two of the highest. Marcus bottled a cask under DIAM 30 as a trial many years ago and found that the wine develops at a glacial pace, too slow for his taste because it allows almost no air transfer. So he continues to use DIAM 10 for his bottlings because he finds the development to be comparable to cork.

I also find the highest end GCs like Monty from some producers under DIAM 10, not 30. I don’t see 30 used a lot. Then again there’s a few producers that use DIAM 30 for everything even village stuff. I think at that point it’s more a status statement as these wines are not cheap and DIAM 30 is quite expensive per cork.

I typically find DIAM 5 used for lots of what I would call daily drinker village stuff.

DIAM 3 to me just feels like a cost savings because it’s cheaper and I typically only see it used for really low end wines. But maybe in the US it’s different.

1 Like