What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

Ron - agree with you on WR. I have a 2007 and 2009 that I probably won’t touch for awhile, although the '09 will be opened first. For the '11s will crack Durant first.

The flavors follow the nose on pop and pour, but with significant aeration, the reductive notes recede and the wine shows intense lemon and minerality with a lengthy finish. The wine holds up well on the second day, with the reductive notes on the nose/palate diminishing a bit more. There’s good acidity and a nice savoriness, which is a quality I don’t often note in a white wine. The oak is in the far background, despite being 50% new. Still a baby and while approachable now, this will get better with more sleep. Should have an extended drinking window estimated at 2018 - 2028.

13.1%abv, 275 cases made. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

My drinking windows may be off a bit, it wouldn’t surprise me if this wine could shine at age 20. I like this a lot; a nice blend of new world fruit and old world wine-making.

Durant vineyard chardonnay

Wow - walked into my “Big Box” store in South Denver today to pick up a bottle of Scotch for a friends birthday. Look what I found on the shelves! Couldn’t help myself but picked up 6 of each.

Feel guilty for not purchasing from Marcus directly - unfortunately missed him in Oct when making the Eugene to Seattle trek showing my junior colleges in the Pacific Northwest. Our visit with him in the fall of 2015 was special!

I have 6 13 Richard’s and now 6 of the 13 Durant Chard - I believe I will pop them with an appropriate dinner this weekend for fun - question is it too early?

Also, dying to try the 14 WV as even the price here in CO could justify making this a house wine in due time. What about the checking in on the 13 Durant PN?

Also, I have been disciplined in not opening any of our purchases except for 1 12 Fools Journey and several 14 “crack” which I was able to reload on BD last year along with the six pack library selection.

I can hardly wait to see the BD offerings this year and truly look forward to my next visit which cannot be scheduled soon enough!

Happy Times!

PS the e-mail with the notes on each wine from the library 6 pack last year has each bottle gathering dust in perfect conditions.
IMG_2034.JPG

Not too early Bill. Great picks. Just make sure they get to warm up a little if you have them from the fridge.

Thanks Travis! Will definitely let the wines come to a good temp - appreciate the advice.

Marcus’ wines are made to go the distance but I think his chards are a little bit more open for business compared to his pinots.

'13 is a great pinot vintage and if you can help yourself, hold onto those for at least 4-5 more years. Maybe open one now if you must and one in 3 years then wait for 5-8 years for the remaining. You won’t regret it.

I don’t know what Marcus will think but buying his wine from big box stores helps too. If his distributor’s customers are happy that means he will not have issues offloading future vintages. Maybe that’s not the right logic though?

I’ve been a little lax in buying Marcus’s '14s which I need to rectify shortly. The '14s that I have started drinking have been a perfect fit for my palate. The last vintage I liked as well was the '10 which are mostly gone. I mostly started buying with the '11 and loaded up on '13 & '14. A lotta good wines in the cellar. [cheers.gif]

Opened a 2015 PCC WV Pinot last night. Yesterday it was okay, a bit thin, sour cherry and earth. One night on the counter transformed it into a raspberry inflected elegant pinot. The ripe vintages play so well into Marcus’s style. Definitely going back for more.

1 Like

Have fun with those! I think the Clover Pinot Gris is in a great spot right now.

At only $15 a pop one would be wise to reload, I know I am! Great deal for us Seattle folk.

in honor of - TGBDIO (Thank God BD is Over)! Seriously psyched to try these side by side in a couple hours with good friends [cheers.gif]
Happy Times.JPG

Just for fun I thought I would share that on BD VIII, the Tallman edged the Novick by 1 order as the most popular BD offering this year.

Again, thank you very much to everyone on the boards for their support of my wines and for making this such a great place to share/argue our wine experiences and beliefs.

Also, I’m interested to know what the Tallman purchasers feel about the 2012 Riesling. I think Oregon can make really good Riesling but I had to step away from it for a couple of years in order to make a living. At some point I would like to bring it back into the fold, but it would probably have to be a la the Berzerker Cuvée in order for me to pull it off.

Go for it Marcus, my wife is now drinking some dry Rieslings. Make it bone dry for her, I’m not so finicky. [cheers.gif]

+1. I bet all those who bought your white BD 6-pack will be coming back for more.

Talman got help from the Russians and I won the popular vote.

A Berserker Cuvée type offering would be aces.

#fakenews

2005 Whistling Ridge Riesling. Dry, the perfect amount of petrol for my tastes and really fresh for a 11+ year old wine. Marcus’ first attempt at Riesling and a damn fine one. Drinking the rest of the bottle tonite while watching the Oscars and it’s even better than last night.

Hoping Marcus produces Riesling again in the future!

1 Like

Opened a '13 Goodfellow Durant (from a BDay “Novick” 6-pack) the other day. Gave it lots of air, and sure enough was very nice. On the light and slightly acid side of PN, but it was definitely a **. Full TN later…

1 Like

I opened a '12 Hommage after finishing off a '14 Teutonic Bergspitze (white label) Laurel Vineyard that was oh so good, but i’m sure the Hommage will rise to the challenge after all it sat just above in the racking. [wink.gif]

• 2012 Matello Pinot Noir Hommage - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (2/27/2017)
    Medium to dark ruby with raspberry nose. Tart red berry, red currants and getting some watermelon, Fuji apple on the ebb. A bit like a wave of tart fruit and than an ebb of mineral cane tannins. The fruit is soft, but bracketed by prominant acids and tannins. Has a similar quality of red table grapes with a good balance of the initial tartness followed by some mello fruit, than finishes with skin tannins. (89 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I totally forgot that I had Marcus set aside some of that PCC PN. [oops.gif]

1 Like