What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

That Matello note was 6 years old and not what I find in the wines I drink now, nor expect. That was warm vintage and Marcus has a much better memory than I do and could possibly add some insight. The note was written after a large ThxG dinner, I do remember the wine was very popular and if my wife liked it, it was not sweet. She likes her Riesling bone dry and I can appreciate some rs. [cheers.gif]
BTW, we will be drinking numerous Matello/Goodfellow wines, my daughter and her husband like them and my wife is coming around nicely due to peer pressure. [drinkers.gif]

I agree with Scott – the 2007 was the only one of his WR whites I’ve had that came off as sweet. It was a super interesting wine but it had a soapy flavor (to me) that I didn’t like. Everyone else I’ve spoken to absolutely loves the stuff.

You guys have really made my day :slight_smile:

…and I am making a couple of last minute switches to the BD offers. The last Riesling I made was in 2012, from some old vines at Ana vineyard and a tiny little Chehalem Mtn vineyard called Carey Creek. I’m down to the last 3 boxes(it was basically the house Riesling for Ken’s Artisan Pizza in PDX) but I will make sure the white wine 6pack has a bottle in it. It’s off dry, more Kabinett/Spatlese in style, with the acid to match the RS and an ABV of 10.5%…and as is typical of my wines it’s really just at the front end of drinking really well.

As to the Auslese note, the 09 Whistling Ridge Blanc is drier but as Dennis noted it’s a warm vintage and there’s a lot of richness and fruit presence to the wine.

The 2006(first vintage) and 2007 were both a little higher RS, and with 2008 going forward this wine is typically under 1% RS. The 2015 is 5.9 g/l RS, pH of 3.1 so there’s plenty of acid to balance the wine, and will definitely reward patience over the next 10-12 years. Although most people just don’t cellar “the crack”.

Marcus which was the Riesling you made in half bottles that we poured at the ship years ago?

As much as I love the Chardonnay he makes, I love his Riesling just as much. It is very representative of the vintage when he decides to make it. I tried to buy a case of the one he speaks of a month or so ago but never followed up. My loss. These are his wines i don’t have in the cellar.

Travis-that was from 2007. Late harvest botrytised fruit from Whistling Ridge. Really optimal stuff, picked in November and definitely more Auslese as far as RS goes.

Thinking of popping a 2013 Richard’s Cuvee Chardonnay tomorrow. I want to pop a note up in advance of BerserkerDay, plus it will help me make some decisions.

Drinking/planning to drink…close enough.

This reminds me we need to trade boxes again, maybe after get me Gew going.

Ping me when you’re ready Todd.

Corey, the 2013 Richard’s is in a good spot right now. We used it for oysters at a dinner a couple of weeks ago and that was about perfect for a pairing.

Check. Matello whites are on my BD radar. :slight_smile:

I thought Marcus must have made a Riesling, unless the one in my cellar is a Rudy wine.

What I’ve been drinking are the Clover Pinot Gris. I know they will be better with age, but I can’t keep the corks in the bottle.

P Hickner

Enjoyed a magnum of 2007 Matello Souris last night. Silky now, in a really nice place. Cherry and cinnamon for days.

The 2014 Goodfellow releases caught my attention, none more than the Chardonnay from Whistling Ridge Vineyard. One of the nicest surprises out of Oregon for me.

Got a bottle of 2011 Souris tonight. I have the luxury of getting to trade with Marcus so I get a case a year on swap. This bottle is drinking very nicely. Rich within the context of the vintage. Has the spicy, wiry 2011 thing going on. Nice structure and a little pleasant bittering quality to the tannins that helps with complexity and serves as a bridge from fruit to earthiness. Even with a NY steak it does just fine. I’m sure this will be a nice starlet for several years.

I had the 2011 Durant Pinot about two weeks ago and it was also showing very nicely, giving off some classic Dundee Hills character. I’ve had it alongside the 2011 Souris on a few occasions and it has consistently been a bit more forward. I’ve been on the fence about starting to open my 2011’s but for the most part they are starting to yield. I would generally say that if you have 3 or more of something it’s reasonable to check in, but if you have less wait another couple of years.

Thanks for this. I’ve 2 each of the '11 SVDs and Souris and was leaning towards waiting at least 2 more years, but was itching to open one this year. Will wait.

I am sure you know this, but of the SVD’s the Whistling Ridge demands the most patience. So if you’re going to wait on anything, wait on that one.

I’m of the same mind. The first few years, the Willamette Valley 2011s required some faith, and now the light at the end of the tunnel is in sight but another 12-36 months seems worth the wait.

Scott-if you’re down for the Chardonnay celebration we should get a few people together, grab dinner and pull a few corks. I’m happy to open something from 2011.

Matello/Goodfellow SVD Reds from 2011 & 2013. Shhhhh.

RT

I will be down for that weekend. Will touch base soon to figure out best time for everyone.