What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

Awesome wine! Sadly, I think it is a one-off. Marcus no longer has access to Lewman Vineyard. Since that vintage, he has not repeated skin-contact Pinot Gris (the subsequent “white” Pinot Gris are killer!). But most importantly, moving forward he is only making Sparkling wine!

3 Likes

Wow, CT support is fast. The Rose is added and my little screw up is fixed.

3 Likes

Very cool of you to check in on this, Brian. I picked up a couple of these and your note has me excited for what’s in store. --Justin

1 Like

Tonight after finishing the last of the 2021 Heritage I opened a 2021 Goodfellow Berserker Cuvee Chardonnay (Burgundy style!)

Gave this about 3 hours to decant before pouring my first glass. Seashells, flint, lime cordial, Mandarin orange, and white peach on the nose. With some aeration there are some tropical aromas of guava and underripe pineapple as well. Nuanced and lithe on the palate, but has a great grip of stony minerals with refined acidity. Mostly orchard fruit (green apple, peach) on the palate, this is softer than the 2019 bottling from what I can recall. Saving most of the bottle to follow over the next couple days to see if this gains some weight. Another delicious bottle from @Marcus_Goodfellow and @Megan_Joy

7 Likes

Wait, what?

Chris is perhaps a touch overly enthusiastic about the sparkling wines.

At the very least, we’ll need to keep making some structured, acid driven, low alcohol, whole cluster Pinot Noir to make sure that 25-30 years from now, I can still stay on my self-righteous soapbox supporting the judicious use of SO2.

6 Likes

My son asked for salmon, so I needed an Oregon Pinot Noir. I grabbed a 2013 Durant Pinot Noir to check on them. It is among the lightest, most translucent reds I’ve poured in recent memory. But that was merely visual as the aromatics were not light. Lovely pomegranate and raspberry on the nose. There was a hint of funk that blew off in about 30 minutes, and I like a little funk in my wine. Also a note of thyme hanging out in there faintly. I think these are developing some secondary notes. Lovely acid in the mouth with flavors of cinnamon, orange, and raspberry. I can convince myself of a bit of sous bois based on my belief of secondary evolution but it’s probably not quite there. Medium finish. Overall a really nice match with some grilled salmon (it’s like 58 degrees here in Seattle!!), and I’m looking forward to polishing off the bottle tomorrow.

5 Likes

I’ve mentioned before, but 2013 Goodfellow Durant Pinot Noir was the first Goodfellow wine I tried, showed up in a local high end grocery where I shop. It was a bit understated when it was young (this was almost eight years ago), but I absolutely loved it and bought 5-6 bottles over a couple of months. It has always been very light and I’m not sure they held any of the Durant back, but a couple other 2013s are even better.

-Al

2 Likes

Seems like the 2011 is in a good spot right now, and I feel like the 2913 is just beginning to go up through the curve.

3 Likes

I found the 21 zerker cuvvee needed more time. Great wine but tightly coiled atm for my palette.

1 Like

I really wanted a Goodfellow Pinot and this was near at hand. Too soon, but also too good.

7 Likes

2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Chardonnay Ribbon Ridge Cuvee

In a nice drinking window, with lime, lemongrass, crushed rock aromas on the nose. Light in body and glides across the palate, this is easy drinking with perfectly integrated acidity and rocky minerality. Flavors of almond skin, orchard fruit, and white flowers. What I really enjoy is the weightlessness yet power/intensity of the minerality on its long finish. I have one more bottle that I may save for extended aging, but this is a pleasure to drink now.

6 Likes

2019 Goodfellow Family Cellars Chardonnay Temperance Hill - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills (1/29/2024)
– decanted 25 min. before initial taste on Day 1 –
– tasted non-blind over 2.5 hrs on Day 1; revisited on Days 2 and 8 –

NOSE: Day 1: fresh, non-buttered, popcorn; popcorn note largely gone at the 2 hrs. open mark; tangy aromatics. Day 2: pleasant, and a touch more giving than Day 1; “bright” aromatics. Day 8: more open, and no apparent degradation; hint of spearmint; faint typical Chard. aromas; butter and popcorn notes gone. Certainly on the lighter side of things.

BODY: Diam30 closure; pale yellow color; light bodied.

TASTE: Day 1: medium+ to high acidity – not screechy or puckering; light to medium-light flavor intensity at first; alc. not noticeable; seems closed, but slowly opening at the 2.25 hrs mark; plenty of mineral; moderate dry extract, it seems; Day 1 takeaway: HOLD. Day 2: more open, with no apparent degradation; high acidity is more apparent today. Day 8: high acidity; lots of mineral; light fruit; not much finish; I think this is very good, but is in need of cellar time. So, HOLD for now, with the hope this unfurls with time in the cellar.

5 Likes

I think the 2015/2016 Chardonnays have entered a great drinking window. Tonight, the 2016 Richard’s Cuvee. Like a sunny day at the beach with a light breeze. Very clean. Pineapple and lychee. No matchstick. No suntan lotion. No rotting crabs.

3 Likes

No banana hammock.
No sand in unusual places.
No burned feet.

2018 Goodfellow Family Cellars Chardonnay Dundee Hills

First couple nights this was not that interesting or expressive, just some shy notes of reduction, minerality, and lime on the nose and palate. I left this in the fridge and just came back to it now after 3 days and it has opened up very nicely. More aromatic flint and crushed rocks, seabreeze, lime peel, and a whiff of orange rind on the nose. Medium-bodied and creamy but with gripping acidity. I particularly love the texture coming from the pronounced rocky minerality on this wine, that lingers on the finish. Peeking in are notes of ripe yellow apple, pear, lemongrass, and a touch of buttered popcorn. Will save my last bottle for a few years.

1 Like

Ah Valentine’s Day. Nothing says “I love you” like a 2017 Goodfellow Berserker Cuvee Pinot Noir. But is the love for my wife? For myself? For the wine? For Marcus and Megan? Group hugs!!! :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

3 Likes

You’re in an “open relationship”.

As in “let’s open this!”

Happy Valentine’s Day

3 Likes

This weekend, I had a chance to spend some time with the not yet released Whistling Ridge BdB (offered on BD15). If you ever wished Richard’s Cuvée and the Cote du Blancs had a love child, you’ll be very happy with this wine. IMO, YMMV, I don’t know Jack, and all the other caveats.

5 Likes

If you ever make Lamb Barbacoa and don’t want beer*, 2018 Goodfellow Riesling makes an excellent pairing.

*Edit: Don’t have any Heater Allen.

2 Likes