What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

That is what it took for me to be confident that Megan and I would have some left to sell!

Dude, please tell me we get first look at the BdNs (especially that West Field…)

1 Like

Marcus,

I saw the offer text on your BDXV offer listed the retail price of the six bottles of sparkling wine to be $340. Can you share how that breakdown? I am presuming the Willamette Valley Extra Brut cuvée will be a little cheaper than the other two?

1 Like

sparkling Gamay Noir makes me think along the lines of dry Lambrusco. If so, I’d be all in!

1 Like

I just assumed 65 for the svd and 35 for the wv

I’m guessing the delta between the SVD and appellation isn’t that large for the sparkling, since lots of work and time in cellar involved (also would need to be $40 for Wm if Durant and WR are both $65). My guess was $50 and $60. But, Marcus and Megan are better at the business stuff than I am.

-Al

2 Likes

Think I might see pitchforks and torches outside the winery if I didn’t drop them here first…

Absolutely Josh, the WV Extra Brut will be $50/bottle, and the vineyard designate Blanc de Blancs wil be $60/bottle. We usually offer 15% off of cases as well.

1 Like

You are spot on. In the end, the costs for the WV are very similar to the vineyard designates. The quality is also closer than one might think, primarily because we’re small enough that all of the fruit gets extremely good treatment and we don’t get any economy of scale for the 500 cases of WV vs 250 cases of Durant or 120 cases of Whistling Ridge.

4 Likes

This. Having tasted the WV twice, I think it’s :fire: If tasted blind, I would never think that it is a lesser wine in quality or value. The sad marketing truth here is that it is likely cheaper only because “WV” is below “SVD” in the imagined hierarchy.

2 Likes

And you made a

:grin:

1 Like

Yes, this is also true!

Anyone put the BDXV rosé in CT? I can’t seem to find it! :joy:

1 Like

I’m working in CT right now, I can do it.

2 Likes

Forget IPNC, I’m just going to camp outside your cellar door :sunglasses:

2021 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Noir Whistling Ridge Vineyard Heritage No. 19

Opened on BD15 Preview Day with a generous decant and then followed over the past couple days.

Translucent ruby in color. Deep nose of red cherry, raspberry, potpourri, dusty/earthy minerals, and a touch of white smoke. On the palate the wine is bright and lively, with flavors of cherry, pomegranate, black raspberry, orange peel, and dried herbs. There is a subtle refined smokiness on the palate that nicely complements the soil mineral tones. Weightless, with fine tannins and fresh acidity to provide a nice frame for the wine.

After a couple days in the fridge the wine has gained depth and body with more tannic grip. The richness and purity to the fresh red fruit on the palate is even more apparent today and is gorgeous. This still feels like it needs some air but is showing so well now if you enjoy that youthful red cherry fruit. Clearly built for the cellar.

4 Likes

I added it. Let me know if I got it right.

Edit:

Dammit, I got all the particulars correct (Willamette Valley Pinot Noir Rose’) but the stupid thing just named it Pinot Noir without the Rose, so I’ll have CT support update it.

But if you search “Goodfellow Rose” it pops right up. You can add your purchase using that and CT support will just fix the name for me to “2023 Goodfellow Family Cellars Willamette Valley Pinot Noir Rose’” hopefully. I entered a ticket on the support forum.

2 Likes

I think Buzz has been waiting a couple of days for someone to enter it.

-Al

1 Like

2019 Lewman Pinot Gris was outstanding tonight! Such a beautiful semi funky experience. Has some really interesting flavors balancing savory and fruit with really nice acid. Leonardo and I need a lot more of these.

5 Likes

I love that wine. To this day, my BILs favorite wine. He never stops talking about it.

1 Like