What do you want to try in 2021????

I know, almost sacrilegious, so young. But when your buddy brings it, and it’s two people sharing a bottle over the evening, it’s full on!

More Champagne, preferably with a map in one hand and a full glass in the other while spending some extensive travel time in the region.

Alright - now I must fulfill my Le Pin needs soon, hopefully! Sacrilegious??? Never.

Have always wanted to try the Chave Cuvee Cathelin. Saw that Fu had some recently.

In vintages where the Chaves feel that the surreal harmony of the rouge won’t be compromised, the heroic Cuvée Cathelin is bottled separately. It contains the same lieux-dits, made in the same way, but their percentages are different; the goal is a wine that has a bit more of all of the classique’s elements. Painfully rare, only 200 cases are produced in those vintages deemed appropriate.

Yeah I think that will be fairly easy once I commit to it haha

I would like to experience more whites from Italy and Sicily. Some Etna Rosso too.

Welp Alfert - I can help you out with this if we could ever find a way to share wine together. Until then, the Chave Cathelin that I have is save for you.

All this new lust for Allemand, Gentaz, Juge… Man, the king of No.Rhone is still Chave IMHO - another Chave dinner/evening when it can happen - should happen!

1 Like

Nothing specific, just focused on learning and tasting more Italian in 2021. Just had a Chianti Classico Riserva last night that was an amazing pairing with a Porchetta, so lots to learn.

Deal!

Red Wine - while I’ve had plenty of Aussie Shiraz, which I love, I’ve never had Penfold’s Grange. A nicely aged one would be ideal.

White wines - a Montrachet. Not a Batard or a Chevalier but a Montrachet (a good one!)

Dessert - Tokaji Essencia. I’ve had various Tokaji which I enjoy but never an Essencia

1 Like

I would like to drink more Soldera this year. Went down a bit of a rabbit hold reading Neil Beckett’s excellent World of Fine Wine article about him today. That guy would have made fabulous wines in Burgundy, that’s for sure. I almost visited him as a student but it didn’t work out, which is probably for the best as I might never have left Italy.

1 Like

First, Jonathan, hoping you will have a safe, healthy and good year upcoming, same to all the rest of the posters on this thread.

Mine is to get my hands on a Raveneau–I’ve had 'em a couple of times but, if circumstances allow, I want to serve it to a good friend of mine who will be turning 50 this year and loves Chablis, and who I don’t believe has ever tried anything from the house.

Salud and Sante

Mike

All over this!

champagne.gif

You are a generous man, my friend.

A ton of riesling. Every time I open a bottle, I want more, and I just haven’t gotten around to it. 2021 is the year.

Red: quality burgs with tertiary characteristics, 93 Rousseau or drc sounds good. I’m debating taking a shot on some of the reasonably priced older drc/mm rsv floating around.

White: trying some aged Spanish whites would be awesome, or some pre premox GC WB

Sparkling: I would love to try more 70-80s grand marques, especially Krug gc

Sweet: big time aged yquem or essenzia

Funny, I was in the cellar today looking at some Chave, and thinking a Chave dinner should be early in the non-Covid phase of 2021. I’m all in on that.
And Jon, in my opinion save your Bordeaux lust for something other than Le Pin. I’ve always thought it overrated.
Let’s follow Buzz’s lead and look for 70 and 71 Petrus!
And on the high end burg side, I am lusting for more Roumier Amoureuses.

I’ve never had even one single sip of a correct bottle of DRC RC of any vintage. Every time I’ve been in a position to try a bottle, it’s been shot or corked. That and Leflavie Montrachet are my two Never Have I Ever. But since those are highly unrealistic goals…

A good Krug Ambonnay would be nice. I have many of the burgundy and Piedmont desires mentioned above, most of the Rhones, too, to offer should we be able to arrange a dinner!

I have thought about that wine a few times, but I think I should pass on ever trying it. I don’t want to end up liking it!

I was lucky enough to have collected some '82 and '86 Grange a while back - the '82 was always VERY good with the '86 poised for the future - it’s been a while - still, if we ever drink wine together Pinci a bottle of the '86 is saved for you. I could definitely get you an introduction to Le Montrachet… Man, there was some '93 Pajzos Esszencia sold back in 2009 or 2010 that I loaded up on - many on this board might remember this as it was a free for all from memory. Anyways, eternal liquid essence this stuff is.

1 Like

This is a good point William - wish I had locked up some Soldera when I could have. I must say that I should add this to my red wine list and hopefully it can happen in 2021 - with you no doubt. CHEERS!

1 Like