What de Négoce wine are you drinking tonight?

OG N.89 2018 Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon

Well 7 months ago, I wanted to wait a year on this wine. I did not. Half way through my first case now of 2.
I like this single yum :wine_glass:with about 2-3 hours in the decanter.
Drinking very well now w/decant, best is still to come?
Only $120/CASE.-'nuff said??

• w/ beef Bulgolgi Lettuce wraps & Kimchi*
4 Likes

Antinori just purchased Stag’s Leap. Interesting- will this move be a pig sticking its nose into lipstick? Oh yes just got back from a Flagship Romance / Grant Peeples acoustic show. Enjoying a glass of DN 347.

1 Like

Mikko,
That looks like one hell of a wine tasting! Always appreciate your throwing in a bottle or two of DN to see how they do vs. elite wines. I will have to donate one of my extra bottles of DN 198 or 251 to your next soiree to see how they hold up.

3 Likes

JDorris, you are definitely not alone…I’ve never tried those fancy wines…I think the most expensive bottle I’ve ever had was ~$100, and it was a once in a lifetime splurge.
And tbh, I don’t even want to try, I prefer to keep my palate enjoying what I can afford :joy:

4 Likes

Hi Stephen, would you mind sharing the links to the WB threads you mentioned above? I’m very interested. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Vitor - I don’t know what you prefer/are interested in, but the search function can help you narrow your topics. Here are a few:

https://www.wineberserkers.com/t/hit-me-with-spanish-red-values
https://www.wineberserkers.com/t/cheap-northern-rhones
https://www.wineberserkers.com/t/best-champagne-under-50
https://www.wineberserkers.com/t/best-domestic-chardonnay
https://www.wineberserkers.com/t/how-did-you-start-your-wine-collection-cellar

8 Likes

Okay, after hearing all the good reviews on OG N.68 Sonoma County “Mountain” Cab- lets decant one for Friday night dinner. poured into decanter at 3:30PM for 5:30PM dinner time.

Dinner, grilled Ribeye, with Italian mild link, green beans, red potatoes.

Poured into two glasses from decanter, wife commented immediately on the color- “This is dark and looks yummy”. Ditto here. She did NOT know I was pouring a de Negoce wine- she only saw the decanted wine. She had the first sip- “Is this one of those $100 Napa Cabs you poured from the cellar?”. I think she thought that, because I rarely use a decanter these days- I double decant back into bottle. Then I told her, no this is a de Negoce wine- she commented “oh great so $100 wine for $20?” How many more cases WE have left?? I wanted to say “None” but she would know better.
This Cabernet has serious tannins, length with graphite and mountain chapparal that is immensely enjoyable. Wife kept giving me the look when her glass was empty (& too soon). I’ve gotta pinch myself that purchased 2 extra cases in that last March Madness Moving sale at $139/case.

Cheers, Tim

11 Likes

Nice, great value. I too opened an n.68 Cabernet Sauvignon last night. It never really opened up after a 2-hour decant. It was enjoyable, but looking forward to night 2.

*I just tried a next-day sip and it’s drinking better than last night. IMHO this is no world-beater - I wouldn’t put it to the test of $130 Benchmark Napa Cabernet and expect it to match that level, but it’s a wonderful value and an excellent wine. It reminds me more of a Brunello, really, than a Sonoma Cab. I drank it next to a Tenuta Degli Dei Super Tuscan ($50) last night and I thought n.68 matched the level of quality.
I paid $17 for some of my n.68’s and feel it’s worth every penny of that. Looking forward to trying it again tonight. And I believe there is improvement to be gained with age here. So look to save some of these a few years out. Cheers.

6 Likes

DN 181 - PnP.

Raw notes. dirty, earthy, balanced, faint raisins. Overall score of wine ( K. MacNeil criteria) 3.78. Price per glass $1.95/glass. Why I’m I doing write-ups on a $1.95 glass of wine? Hey, it’s Saturday, I’m bored, , and I’ve got nothing else to do. Outstanding value.

4 Likes

This!!!

@Luke_Newton I came to share my thoughts on Lot 187 Atlas Peak Syrah, but loved your point so much that I wanted to piggyback on it.

Lot 187 is exactly what I’m looking for from dN - a high quality, crowd pleasing Syrah that checks all the boxes for which the varietal is known. Blue/black fruit, peppery spices and graphite notes, medium body, pleasing finish. If blind tasting I would guess this at $30-40 retail, and rate it 91 pts. I paid $15 as a T1 purchase. And that’s what I’m mostly looking for from dN.

Don’t get me wrong, I love high quality wine and own some of the round numbered lots as well. But what keeps me coming back is the insane value proposition on the tous le jours wines.

Cheers,
Joe

9 Likes

Thanks!!!

1 Like

Lot 255 2019 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

95% Cabernet Sauvignon, 5% Merlot, 55% Oak Knoll, 45% Coombsville, 65% new French oak, 15% alc…
Bottling Nov 30th, 2021. i.e. currently 1.5 years bottle age.
Wow, that first case went away very fast! I like it!
Smooth and powerful, Fleshy, Lush, decent acid, moderate finish. 1,5 Yums :wine_glass:
Likely 2 Yums with additional aging?
Nose Opens up with 2 hours in the decanter. This beauty should age well, 2 more cases to enjoy within the next 5 years?
with Apple/Hickory grilled Tri-Tip :cow2:

4 Likes

Though bottled only nine months ago, I’m sorry to say that Lot 324 Italian 2021 Barbera D’Alba can no longer be classified as a ‘Run don’t Walk’ wine since apparently all 200 cases are no longer available. For those that snatched up this $9 fun find, you are in for an informal, intriguing bouquet, medium bodied, dark red, fresh light fruit taste that can be enjoyed now or cellared for a short while. An ever so faint, first sip malic taste will quickly disappear on the second / third quaff. Need a summertime red, ~ this Barbera fills the niche for drinking alone or with cheese and summer fare. B+ (we enjoyed slightly chilled)

8 Likes

68 on night 3 is singing like a Aretha. It slaps as the kids say.

7 Likes

This one sounds great, I was seriously tempted, but I don’t need much Cab these days. It’s awesome that it is performing well for you and others!

67 hit peak on day 4 for me. Someone else mentioned this one will have a long life. I agree. I love this style of wine, but they take a long time to come together. This is going to be a very nice wine but I could see this taking several years yet. Just a lot of acid which calmed down by day 4 (a bit) and the tannins are still strong here. I have 2 cases just because I knew it was my thing and I’m glad I get to taste this one as it evolves over the years.

6 Likes

Here’s a rundown of recent tastes.

Now, I am definitely a ‘homer’ for Santa Barbara County, but IMHO Cam and company hit it out the the park on n.365 Syrah and n.372 Pinot. On-point expression, balanced, complete wines, not oaked like a Napa Cab. Serious QPR, glad dN grabbed 'em rather than these lots ending up back-blended into some grocery store red.

Earlier Syrah offerings have been less successful (see n.223 below), hopefully this is a turning point in particular for their Syrah selections. I have high hopes for n.393, their recent SCM Syrah!

Also a fan of some of the Nebbiolo-based reds dN has brought in. I haven’t tasted any of my purchases, but from those I tasted that a friend ordered, these have been delivering nicely.

• 2021 de Négoce Syrah OG N.365 - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (5/20/2023)
    Best dN Syrah I have tasted. Violets, white and roasted pepper, savory umami of indeterminate origin, subtle yet very attractive cool climate bouquet. Well balanced palate, dark fruit, herbs and floral inner aromas, a complete wine. Long finish, fine sandy tannins, minerality as a bass note, nicely mouthwatering.

While this doesn't have the amplitude aromatically and in the mid-palate or perhaps overall depth of a 'designated' cuvee--that might be why the source producer parted with this lot--all of the layers are in harmony. A realization of the promise dN can, and often does, deliver. (91 points)
  • 2021 de Négoce Pinot Noir OG N.372 - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Maria Valley (5/19/2023)
    Best dN Pinot I've had. Big aromas of strawberry, raspberry, and sage, slightly lifted. Red fruited, round, medium acidity, oak is overall well-integrated, light tannins. Fruit and sage reprise on the finish, which is lengthy. A hint of bitterness, but so much flavor and really a complete palate arc, it really doesn't matter.

Drinking well now, though should drink well for at least 3-5 years. Excellent value, while not deeply structured or complex, this drinks as well as a $30 or $40 bottle.

Day 2: Stored overnight with a Re-pour as stopper to limit oxidation. Still delicious as before, though oak showed a bit more. I am leaning towards this benefitting from 1-2 years on its side, and drinking really well for several after. (91 points)
  • 2019 de Négoce Syrah OG N.223 - USA, California, Central Coast, Edna Valley (5/8/2023)
    Full bodied, yummy texture, too much oak, yet dry with a nice seam of acidity, cholate raspberry ganache from my prior note is about right, integrated tannins. Structure balance is nice, flavor balance not quite there, drink now for up front character. (87 points)
  • 2017 de Négoce Barolo OG N.326 - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (5/7/2023)
    Tasted at a friend's after a day open. Solid, accessible Barolo. Nice structure and varietal character. Finish is a bit short, but nice value overall, recommended.
  • 2018 F.lli Bettini Sforzato di Valtellina Fruttaio di Spina - Italy, Lombardia, Valtellina, Sforzato di Valtellina (5/7/2023)
    Opened at Geoff's place with filet roast. Reminded me of an old vine Zin, in a good way. Big structure, dried fruit, yet with substantial iron-like minerality and alpine herbs. Really delicious, needs protein, the impression of sweetness from the air-dried Nebbiolo grapes seems tailored for the latter stages of dinner.
  • 2019 de Négoce Pinot Noir OG N.176 - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (4/22/2023)
    On pop'n'pour, seemed overrun by oak. However, like a prior bottle, with air felt more integrated, though certainly a Pinot in a Cabernet style--more extracted and brawny, a bit of a Power Pinot. Still, nice delicious factor, even if not a varietal-focused style.
  • 2019 de Négoce OG N.229 Mourvedre/Syrah Ciel du Cheval Red Mountain - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Red Mountain (4/15/2023)
    One of the better dN purchases for me. Certainly on the bold end of the spectrum--blue and black fruits, spice and a hint of gaminess. Dark fruited attack, rounded and silky, finishes with integrated, ripe tannins. Delicious now, but enough structure and freshness to age for 3-5 years. Oak is nicely integrated, though very much a new world impression. Big wine that doesn't feel heavy or clumsy, with a delicious factor going for it.

Reminds me of a well made Monastrell or Garnacha, certainly a good value as the quality present easily could be 2x to 3x this cuvee's price point. (91 points)
20 Likes

OG N. 70-A Blend Saturday evening with roasted Pork Loin, mashed potatoes, steamed corn on cob. Double decanted Friday evening, slipped a sample glass to allow more air overnight.
1st night, delicate aromas of raspberry with a light see through red color in glass- what I expect from an Oregon pinot. Sipping this slowly to make notes for next evening’s tasting. Good length with sneaky delicate tannins, red fruit and spice all work in harmony here. I’m impressed with this on 1st night with just a single decant.
2nd evening, fruit gets a bit darker in profile, acidity balances this wine against food, wife REALLY enjoying this wine - chased me for last glass- darn it. Score: 90-91 points. Still can use more bottle time here though. Give this another 6-12 months in bottle or maybe a slow ox? Bought extra cases when the “oversized shippers” sale was presented. Glad I did.

Cheers, Tim

5 Likes
  • 2018 de Négoce Merlot OG N.69 - USA, California, Napa Valley (5/22/2023)
    On the nose chocolate and raspberry with some mineral. On the palate a richer amalgam of glossy black fruits, red clay, red raspberry, dark chocolate, and tobacco leaf. The wine offers a clayey texture, square tannins, and a lasting, drying finish. That said, outside of the tannin structure, the fruit and style of this wine drinks closer to a Cabernet Sauvignon, to me.

This is a fabulous Merlot that is drinking wonderfully now with a couple hours of decant. It also has a long life ahead of it. Like other Merlots from 2018 (see n.124), this one has taken quite a bit of time to come around, but I believe it has finally arrived.

90% Merlot, 10% Cabernet
    88% Napa Valley, 12% Sonoma County
    40-50% new French oak (93 points)

This was fabulous. Drank next to n.68 (for science) and enjoyed both. I think n.69 takes a slight edge over n.68 cabernet. I only had one bottle of this Merlot, and wish I was around at the time to acquire a case of this. Though it seems to have been a polarizing wine early on, it’s drinking beautifully now, in my humblest of opinion.

10 Likes

Brian,
Thanks for the tasting note, having the 68 past weekend, curious how the Merlot was, as Cameron stated in the offer, “My understanding is this is entire 2018 production of this particular high end cuvee” So this is likely the Vintner Select Merlot. Sitting on a whole case untasted.

Cheers, Tim

4 Likes