What de Négoce wine are you drinking tonight?

Doesn’t seem all that unreasonable given the descriptions:

97-POINTS and WINE OF THE YEAR
2021 SOMMELIER CHALLENGE INTERNATIONAL

“This is seriously classy juice. Nice, seasoned oak mocha and woody resin notes out of the bottle fruit and tertiary aromas start to punch through with air…tobacco, leather, black cherry, black current and toffee”

Denegociants:

Would Drink Again: 100%
Estimated Value $85
Estimated QPR 5.3
Rating 5.0
1 Like

I picked #30 because I haven’t checked on it in a while and recent notes said it is ready to rock now. It also has all these crazy high points and accolades so I wanted to check if it drinks like a 97-point wine. This wasn’t a “dN vs. rest” lineup, that was just coincidental.

Half Italian, half American is a great way to put it.

Yes, that’s a 2014 Farella, was drinking fantastic. I didn’t take any formal notes, but the bottle was finished pretty quickly. Everyone loved it.
I also brought a 2018 Sojourn Beckstoffer. First Sojourn cab for me, and it was very very good.

The standouts for me were the 2016 Checkerboard, 2012 Morlet, 2010 Realm the Bard and 1996 Chateau StJean. Biggest surprise was that I really wasn’t a fan of M.Etain. I had high expectations but it fell short.

3 Likes

Challenge accepted!
Mark those batches in your email blurb so I know which ones to get :slight_smile:

1 Like

Previously used key phrases in release email:
“Back up the truck”
“Giddy up”

New one: “this is one of the ones that will kick the ass of mikko’s other wine”…then we know

3 Likes

Fair assent of your impression of wine in general and of dN wine. Honestly I’ve stopped seeking the transcendent wine no matter the price point. (I don’t spend over $150 a bottle even when I’m splurging, so I’m like you that I cannot go looking for that amazing experience with the crazy high price points.) so dN gives me reliable predicable good wine. I’m staying in a hotel for 4 days and in the evenings I often I need to work late into the night on my computer so I picked up 2 bottles of $25 wine at the local wine store. A low end duck horn and a low end Newton (sky side) and my impression after sipping these 2 wine for last few days is that dN is serving the purpose for me of giving me something well above average.

9 Likes

You do know that in the Sommelier Challenge International, wino brown-bag selection “Barefoot” ($6.99 retail), had two bottles score 94-points and “Platinum” in that competition, right?

I do agree with CH’s description of “classy juice”, I really like that wine. I rated it 92-points. I’m eying a 2013 Larkmead “Dr. Olmo” cabernet from across the room. I wouldn’t expect n.30 to be nearly as good.

2 Likes

No, I don’t know anything about it other than what has been posted in the wine descriptions.

The CT score for that Larkmead is 93.1, so pretty close to the 92 you gave to DN 30. That was my only point, that it didn’t seem unreasonable to throw that bottle into the tasting.

Brian,
Now that you mention it, I do remember “Barefoot” getting Platinum! HA!
Their Pinot Grigio would be very fancy booze for my awesome wife.
Taste is subjective. For the record, I love fancy booze.
If cost was no consideration: All I would drink, 1st growth Bordeaux & DRC’s.
Thanks Cameron!

5 Likes

Hi – I’m planning on opening either the Rutz Pinot Noir, or one of the n.70 (a/b/c/d) Pinot wines with dinner tonight (a mushroom/kale pizza with no tomato sauce).

Does anyone have a recommendation on which of these might be best right now? Thanks for any insight/guidance!

170 Dry Creek Merlot, 2019
This wine is finally coming together. Great stuff…and the real tell is my wife comments on how good it is ! Score 91

4 Likes

I don’t know anything about the Rutz, but Cam recommends a 24 slo-ox for the 70 series. If you do decide to PnP a 70, don’t drink the C.

4 Likes

Aahhh sounds like I’ve missed the boat then… Maybe I’ll just stick with the 234 RRV Pinot then…although I’ve been drinking them so quickly I was hoping to find something else as an alternative.

Thanks for chiming in!

4 Likes

OG N.89 2018 Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon

Well 7 months ago, I wanted to wait a year on this wine. I did not. Half way through my first case now of 2.
I like this single yum :wine_glass:with about 2-3 hours in the decanter.
Drinking very well now w/decant, best is still to come?
Only $120/CASE.-'nuff said??

• w/ beef Bulgolgi Lettuce wraps & Kimchi*
4 Likes

Antinori just purchased Stag’s Leap. Interesting- will this move be a pig sticking its nose into lipstick? Oh yes just got back from a Flagship Romance / Grant Peeples acoustic show. Enjoying a glass of DN 347.

1 Like

Mikko,
That looks like one hell of a wine tasting! Always appreciate your throwing in a bottle or two of DN to see how they do vs. elite wines. I will have to donate one of my extra bottles of DN 198 or 251 to your next soiree to see how they hold up.

3 Likes

JDorris, you are definitely not alone…I’ve never tried those fancy wines…I think the most expensive bottle I’ve ever had was ~$100, and it was a once in a lifetime splurge.
And tbh, I don’t even want to try, I prefer to keep my palate enjoying what I can afford :joy:

4 Likes

Hi Stephen, would you mind sharing the links to the WB threads you mentioned above? I’m very interested. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Vitor - I don’t know what you prefer/are interested in, but the search function can help you narrow your topics. Here are a few:

https://www.wineberserkers.com/t/hit-me-with-spanish-red-values
https://www.wineberserkers.com/t/cheap-northern-rhones
https://www.wineberserkers.com/t/best-champagne-under-50
https://www.wineberserkers.com/t/best-domestic-chardonnay
https://www.wineberserkers.com/t/how-did-you-start-your-wine-collection-cellar

8 Likes

Okay, after hearing all the good reviews on OG N.68 Sonoma County “Mountain” Cab- lets decant one for Friday night dinner. poured into decanter at 3:30PM for 5:30PM dinner time.

Dinner, grilled Ribeye, with Italian mild link, green beans, red potatoes.

Poured into two glasses from decanter, wife commented immediately on the color- “This is dark and looks yummy”. Ditto here. She did NOT know I was pouring a de Negoce wine- she only saw the decanted wine. She had the first sip- “Is this one of those $100 Napa Cabs you poured from the cellar?”. I think she thought that, because I rarely use a decanter these days- I double decant back into bottle. Then I told her, no this is a de Negoce wine- she commented “oh great so $100 wine for $20?” How many more cases WE have left?? I wanted to say “None” but she would know better.
This Cabernet has serious tannins, length with graphite and mountain chapparal that is immensely enjoyable. Wife kept giving me the look when her glass was empty (& too soon). I’ve gotta pinch myself that purchased 2 extra cases in that last March Madness Moving sale at $139/case.

Cheers, Tim

11 Likes

Nice, great value. I too opened an n.68 Cabernet Sauvignon last night. It never really opened up after a 2-hour decant. It was enjoyable, but looking forward to night 2.

*I just tried a next-day sip and it’s drinking better than last night. IMHO this is no world-beater - I wouldn’t put it to the test of $130 Benchmark Napa Cabernet and expect it to match that level, but it’s a wonderful value and an excellent wine. It reminds me more of a Brunello, really, than a Sonoma Cab. I drank it next to a Tenuta Degli Dei Super Tuscan ($50) last night and I thought n.68 matched the level of quality.
I paid $17 for some of my n.68’s and feel it’s worth every penny of that. Looking forward to trying it again tonight. And I believe there is improvement to be gained with age here. So look to save some of these a few years out. Cheers.

6 Likes