What bottle of wine did you open today? (Part 2)

2016 Aeris Etna Bianco - completely oxidized, shot

1 Like

2020 spottswoode sauv blanc
2017 Lithology Winery las piedras cab sauv

1 Like

Over the past 48 hours

95 Krug
10 Moncuit BdB Vozemieux
18 Pierre Girardin Meursault Vireuils
78 Produttori Montestefano
01 Ampeau Santenots
05 Drouhin Mouches Rouge
09 Mugnier Marechale
96 Leoville Barton
94 Quinta do Noval
19 Knoll Riesling Kellerberg

95 Krug slayed everything. Breathtaking and at a perfect spot in its evolution. The 78 Produttori was first runner up. Dense and delicious with tons of time still to go.

4 Likes

Tonight…

1 Like

This duo was fun.

1 Like

Nice lineup,. How was the '05 Drouhin Mouches? I Have a couple lingering. Thought of popping one soon.

3 Likes

Decanted the 2006 Sociando JG Cuvee for two hours, prolly needed three. Delicious but still a baby. Also popped a 2019 Xavier Gerard for my son and his buddies, to pair with some big ribeyes off the grill.

It’s a beautiful wine but, like so many '05s, not close to ready. It’s pure and intense–and I wouldn’t quite call it shut down–but it’ll be better in another 5 years and probably so much better still in another 10-15 years.

1 Like

Thanks. About what I figured. I opened an '05 Bize SLB Guettes last night to a similar reaction.

1 Like

2012 Bollinger Grande Annee.

4 Likes

Wow, I never would have thought that when I bought a few '05 SLBs to learn about Burgundy that I would have to wait 25-30 years to enjoy them.

1 Like

Thursday night I opened a .375 of the 2019 D’Issan. Finished it up tonight.

My goodness there is a depth of fruit in this wine. Saturated and rich. Does it have the tannic backbone to go the distance? Maybe not but then I probably don’t either. I wonder if this will shut down. It wouldn’t shock me if it never does.

Pretty f’ing great stuff.

1 Like

Wow, great to hear this. Mark G highly recommended it as well.

You can’t post a wine picture that amazing and not tell us where you are!

4 Likes

A weekend in the Fingers lakes went something like this…

2011 Leroy Bourgogne Blanc
2014 Bernard Moreau Chassagne Montrachet Les Vergers
2008 Laurent Perrier Brut
1994 Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon
1994 Corison Cabernet Sauvignon
1994 Chappellet Signature Cabernet Sauvignon
2015 Clos Rougeard Les Clos
2017 Burlotto Barolo
2018 Chappellet Pritchard Hill Cabernet Sauvignon
1996 Mondavi Oakville Cabernet Sauvignon
1995 Mondavi Napa Cabernet Sauvignon
2014 Levet Journaries
Cotie Rotie
2013 Mount Eden Pinot Noir
2018 No Girls
2015 Foillard Morgon CĂ´te du Py

WOTW was…
2015 Clos Rougeard Les Clos

2 Likes

2019 Riverain. Still young, but opened nicely after about 3 hours decanting. Had not opened a 19 this year and wanted to have a baseline to compare in years forward.

2011 Petit Clocher Coteaux du Layon “Prestige Lisa”. The latest and most delicious of many bottles of this wine that we have enjoyed. I asked one of our yard sculptures ( aka “the herbie”) to offer a taste to the wine gods in thanks.

Just got back from an extended vacation in Fl. Brought a bunch of wine but I’ll highlight the most interesting ones.

17 EMH Black Cat Cabernet - The word that comes to mind was delicious. Excellent body and well rounded. No green from the vintage. Drinking very well and all 4 of us commented on how good this wine is.

14 Martini Monte Rosso Zin - Had with the fried chicken at The Beachcomber. Again drinking very well. Zin is really an under appreciated restaurant wine and I will make sure to recommend it more. Didn’t have great length but I would certainly drink now.

55 L’Evangile - Drinking very well. Fruit was very fresh still and couldn’t detect any tannin. Finish was medium but stayed fresh till we finished.

06 DRC Echezeaux.- Really good. One of the best bottles of the year and certainly my favorite burgundy. After a couple of hours this really opened up. (I did have to swirl the decanter for much of that). Great nose of red fruits and spice. Finish was mouth coating. Loved this. Some of my favorite DRC’s have been the ECh.

1 Like

Wow, amazing it showed so well! In blind tastings, L’Evangile continues to be among my favorites. I’ve purchased a few, but not ‘great’ vintages, per se…this note on the '55 gives me a bit of hope :slight_smile:

2015 Aubert CIX Chardonnay - I just went to the Chardonnay section of the cellar without really noticing what I actually pulled to drink. This was quite nice. Well balanced, with a floral nose and tropical fruit. Very long finish. I am surprised that TWA rated this 100. While it was very good and delicious, not sure I see it as a perfect wine.