What bottle of wine did you open today? (Part 2)

Cracking in to those Morgen Longs quick I see :wink:

How did the X-Omni show? I was thinking about popping one. Mine just arrived this week.

I posted a note in the 2022 Morgen Long release thread

1 Like

Inexpensive Yakima Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Cabernet Franc 2021 “Red Wine” blend from JB Neufeld. So tasty, and wonderful value. :wine_glass:

1 Like

Louis Michel Chablis 1er Cru Séchets 2020
I’m so glad my nose is color blind. I’m not getting any green here.
White peach, citrus and sea breeze. Very nice texture, slightly oily on first palate and then the acidic zing. Decent extract on the citrus rind and saline finish. Good.

5 Likes

I haven’t had any green notes in 2020 Chablis personally, and think it’s an incredible vintage. I’ve had:
Fevre
Davissat
Patrick Piuze
Raveneau

All have been outstanding.

2 Likes

Does this count for the bottles opened today thread ?
Find you some friends that will save you tastes from the Dujac-foucsed tasting you missed on Saturday night. Thanks @Steve_McL @Mike_Evans @bradkaplan @RKatz

4 Likes

I’m waiting on @Steve_McL to post about the “Night of Dujac” before chiming in!

I will add… we had a nice round of three champagnes, of which the 08 Gosset Celebris showed especially well. I was really digging the 02 Lenoble, but it is definitely one for folks who like a bit (not too much, but very clear) of oxidative character at this point.

We had a premox '10 Leflaive Chevalier (blind!) that we were debating as to whether it was intentionally an oxidative style wine or not. The answer: not. That was a letdown.

And we had two non-Dujac blinds that showed really well. One that ended up being a village Morey St Denis (from a different exalted producer) and one that ended up being Sonoma Coast (we were guessing Spatburgunder or maybe Beaujolais, felt old world pinot, but the California bright character did increase with air).

4 Likes

2021 Baudry Grezeaux. Just singin.

1 Like

2016 Mira ‘Hyde Vineyard’ Napa Valley Merlot. Tasty, fairly priced Merlot at age 8.

2020 Les Horées Mon Poulain - purchased for €50, gamay and pinot noir blend. Very fresh and juicy with some natural wine notes. Slightly prickly acidity but lots of bright red strawberry and lilac. Very easy to drink with a long succulent finish. Worth the purchase price but not “current market” price.

2 Likes

Tried a white from Olga Raffault for the first time:

Olga Raffault - Champ Chenin - Chinon (Blanc) 2019

Slightly odd mix of aromas - sea spray, lemon, grass and pineapple. Quite austere on the palate at first, very dry and lemony, then softens with tastes of pineapple and butterscotch, a little gooseberry added to the citrus fruit finish. Overall, not bad, a decent midweek bottle, but nothing special. It’s neither/nor: neither the honeyed fruit of a good old-school chenin, nor the electric sappy tension of today’s Young Turks.

3 Likes

First try with this bottling, the Venise, a Vouvray in all but name. It’s a dense, concentrated and powerful wine; tightly wound but open enough to enjoy. The nose is just beautiful - honey, flowers, mango, and baking spice - and quite literally smells like a perfume. I found the palate to be shocking relative to the aroma, a bit tannic from the oak and aggressively tart. A much more masculine and severe profile than the nose would suggest. It’s not austere, to the contrary, it is packed with lemon, mango, and apple flavors, but with unsugared lemonade tartness. I suspect more bottle age will mellow the wine, but I rather enjoyed its ruffian character.

1 Like

2022 Rivers Marie Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast. Actually opened on Sunday night. Today with 1/4 left in the bottle it’s till awesome, still wouldn’t know where to find a comparable Sonoma pinot at $35. Medium acid and fruit, not sure what the oak % is (pretty sure 2021 was 0%) but I do get a tiny bit of vanilla.

1 Like

A nice lineup last night with @Mike_Evans @bradkaplan @rob_klafter Nice eclectic lineup and All wines showed well. Hard to beat LdH Rosados- always a lot to talk about there. And Vouette, and '98 Roilette…and…good ones, guys. Not pictured, '15 Trimbach Gewirtz VT with Brad’s crazy good torched- creme brulee-topped sweet potatoes.

6 Likes

Yep, a night when everything is just strutting its own unique stuff. All of the wines also progressed nicely over the course of the evening… the LdH did its thing and continued to weave around in ways only LdH (whites and roses) can do. The Eyrie picked up both weight-wise and aromatics with plenty of air and was a joy. Dang the 98 Roilette was just fantastic.

3 Likes

Went back to the 98 Roilette today for Day 2 leftovers: flat out beautiful wine. Nose is dark plum, a touch herbal leaning towards eucalyptus, a touch floral leaning towards roses, a bit of graphite. Super harmonious and layered, still vibrant dark cherry fruit but not at all dense or heavy, velvety texture, nice bright cherry acidity on the finish and long lingering pleasant tartness. I think this has years to go still in peak range.

6 Likes

Glad to hear that it held up overnight. I still have one left so you have a good chance of seeing if your prediction of its future holds.

2 Likes

Sandlands had fallen out of favor at Schloss Bueker, but this is lovely. It bears more than a passing resemblance to Ramey Fort Ross-Seaview Chardonnay.

1 Like

Some nice wines at a new restaurant for me in Bethesda/Rockville called Julii. Very good food. All four wines we brought were superb

9 Likes

I will haunt your dreams:

Was a slow starter, but opened up nicely.
@Eric_Lundblad

1 Like