Dujac and duck in Decatur

It started innocently, gained momentum and then descended into wretched excess. Add crispy confit duck, farro and mushrooms, and Swiss Hornbacher Gourmino cheese (Like um, baked potato skins w/ roasted nuts…thank you @bradkaplan) and it added up to a good night for us hayseeds down here in darkest Georgia.

I had a precious bottle of Clos St. Denis, “Anyone up to taste?” says I.
I have Malconsorts” said one, “Me too also” chimed another and “Clos de la Roche” said two more. “You can’t not have Champagne”, “Or white Burgundy, dammit” opined the peanut gallery. (Thank you @Mike_Evans, Roy D, Randy “Paella man” K, @rob_klafter and Eric P. )

Clearly a quorum of like-minded esthetes here. Or a pirate crew. It got a little blurry there after a while… Here was the lineup:

Openers:
2009 Agrapart Avisoise - Delicious, taut balanced fizz, acid and toast. This was right excellent
2002 Lenoble Gentil Homme - Interesting. A touch on the oxidized end of the spectrum (not that there’s anything wrong with that)
2008 Celebris - Ok, wow. WOTF for Champagne, which is saying something next to the Agrapart. I lack notes but run, do not walk to get you some.

Bonus round: 2010 Leflaive Chevalier Montrachet, generously shared by Roy D.
This was unfortunately advanced for its’ age, light copper colored. Had a lovely nutty flavor and tasted very good, but it did not reach the heights you might hope for from an exalted site. That said, I didn’t spit this one.

We single blinded the Dujacs. That is, we knew what was in the mix, but not what was served, or when. To keep it interesting, there was a wild card in there, somewhere…The short version is that there were no bad wines here. All were delicious.

Fellow traveler and gifted palate in flip flops @Dennis_Atick could not attend, so it was deemed necessary to save 2 oz pours so that someone, anyone, might report back on what we tasted.

Flight 1: 1 and 3 were briary, stemmy and…just great.
The new guy, young Eric (a Somm) thought Malconsorts for 1 and 3, and he nailed it.
12’ Dujac Vosne 1er Aux Malconsorts - My Dujac WOTN - the ideal of acid meets juicy-spicy stemmy meets tartish fruit
05’ Dujac Clos St. Denis - Whoa. Hedonistic deep dark fruit. “It gets you in the gonads” said someone, possibly me. Just stellar. My other Dujac WOTN, if I could pick two.
07’ Dujac Vosne 1er Aux Malconsorts - Balanced acid, stems and dry Pinot goodness.

Flight 2: Ok, by now, we knew we were down to Clos de la Roche and a wild card…drumroll please…
08’ Dujac Clos de la Roche - Juicy, tasty, easy to like.
02’ Dujac Clos de La Roche Older, the hand of the father here.
18’ Tremblay Morey Tres Girard - Spice, oak, young, very nice.

Bonus round:
Young paduan and quietly badass somm Eric unleashed a blinded Pinot on us poor unsuspecting and somewhat smashed folks. I got fresh, spicy Pinot, and guessed German spatburgunder. It was a 17’ Sonoma Pinot from Matt Taylor. Great stuff, and well worth a try.

In that way where outliers get your attention, this one grabbed me in a good way.

You’d think we were done by now, but no…someone needed to roll out the stickies and the the sweets.
In a nutshell, the Yquem was superlative, kicking all to the curb, even Dujac. Just amazing.

IMG_4817

7 Likes

Awesome lineup - I’ve been hearing a lot of praise for 2012 lately. Wish I had more!

Thanks for the write up! Sounds like it was tons of fun!

So, I took your advice and checked out Matt Taylor wines – – – hundred dollars per bottle for a CA Pinot I’ve never tried or even heard of up to this point …. Ehhhh, No thanks. Someone more adventurous, and with deeper pockets, than me can give that a try.

What a wonderful tasting with some incredible people. Sounds perfect Steve. Thanks for the notes.

Eric Palmer? One of the good guys around these parts.

Thats him indeed. Ran into Eric working as a Somm at Paulee 2024 in Los Angeles. We were the only denizens of the ATL representing I think.

Funnily enough, my bottle-to-share at the gala was a 12’ Dujac Roche!

1 Like

Thanks again for organizing the dinner, a night of Dujac is always a treat. Just a few comments. I may be biased since I brought it, but the Agrapart was my favorite of the Champagnes, as I found the Celebris to be a little tight though with great potential. Disappointing that the Leflaive was premoxed, as a different bottle showed great last fall.

In the first flight, my favorite was the Clos St.-Denis. It showed the exotic spice that typifies Dujac CSD that I’ve always loved. The 2007 Malconsorts started shy but kept blooming with air and was eventually my second favorite wine of the flight.

Again I’m probably biased but the ‘02 Clos de la Roche was my favorite of the second flight and my WOTN. I couldn’t believe how texturally similar it was to the Tremblay, as sips side-by-side blended seamlessly. Again a village Tremblay more than held its own amongst wines with much stronger pedigrees. The 2008 Clos de la Roche was good but the tannin stood out and hurt its showing among the other wines in the flight which were so harmonious.

The Matt Taylor was interesting, showing the tang and red fruit that I enjoy from wines from the true Sonoma Coast, though my guess was a higher-end Enderle & Moll.

I thought the Yquem showed brilliantly and confirmed why the 2001 has gained legendary status. The Delesvaux also showed very well with better acid that I recall normally finding from that producer from that era. The other dessert wines also had their bright spots which were brought out by different cookies. The Traminer showed best with the chocolate chip and the Trimbach really worked with the cookies with sesame seeds.

It was a really great night and a real treat to have so many Dujacs together. It further confirmed why they’ve always been one of my favorite producers.

4 Likes

Great notes, nothing I can add other than another round of gratitude toward the host and crew!

3 Likes

I was bummed to miss this one, but Steve took care of me for a night two tasting.

On night two- the standouts for me were the '07 Malconsorts, and '02 CdLR, and the 18 Tremblay (maybe just the youthfulness surviving for night two).
Hard to slight any of the bunch, though.

3 Likes

My favorite Dujac quote comes from Mike:

Historically the wines have been more expressive of the winemaking than of the terroir, which would normally be a strike against them for me, but the style is so seductive and appealing that I don’t care.

MCQ_Dujac

6 Likes

(Chuckles)

Echoing the Evolution Thread: You think you pop into a thread to see some thoughts on some cool wines & Vintage data points.

What you really want is to read the word for word Joyful Idiosyncrasies of an old friend :smiling_face:. Oh, how I can picture the Bemused Declarations of @Mike_Evans and the way he looks around the Table after making them :rofl:

Evans is Smart AF but more than his knowledge, it’s these little moments which make me smile most. Thanks for sharing, Steve. Made my morning.

5 Likes

Great night.
I am really enjoying these blended food wine dinners. Stone soup indeed

2012 malconsorts was my pick. Really nice spiciness. Christmas. Pinecone.

So nice to drink with those who care

5 Likes

Brutal. We’ve missed more than we’ve hit on the 10 Leflaive GCs. Could be the worst vintage for pox. :cry:

Great tasting gents. But this quote did it for me. Huzzah for wine & true friends :clap:!

2 Likes