What bottle of wine did you open today? (Part 1)

How was the Astralis?

2017 Claude Dugat Gevrey-Chambertin

Good; in fact, better at this stage than the Pavie, which I think we opened about 5 years too early. It had plenty of ripe fruit and a full body. The tannins of the Pavie, while fine, were still ahead of the fruit.

1 Like

Only the middle bottle was mine - 1997 Domaine François Gaunoux Pommard 1er Cru Les Rugiens. If one likes aged Pommard; one simply must get some of this.
15BA2716-296C-4F76-B1BA-AA4B2641D134.jpeg

2019 Michel Bregeon Muscadet Sur Lie
Wonderful example of Muscadet, IMO. In this vintage, the wine walks a nice line between between acid / mineral energy and a bit more fruit than some may prefer. As I enjoyed it with a cheese plate, I couldn’t help thinking of oysters for some reason (maybe I heard about that pairing somewhere?). Recommended.

PS I found the unexpected pull strip on the capsule a neat idea.
71CECFB3-6941-4419-8856-E0DD719064F1.jpeg

Opened several yesterday with some friends over for Flannery Adventurous Blend burgers. The highlight was a 2002 Pride Cabernet
overachieved expectations for a 20-year old bottle
popped and poured
cork intact
dark fruit with integrated tannins and a smooth, medium-length finish. Time to drink up if you have any.

We went to a friend’s house for a crab bake yesterday and with temps in the high 90’s I brought nicely chilled bottles of '04 Bollinger rosĂ© and 2019 Pierre Girardin Bourgogne blanc. The Bolly was great as always and the Girardin was just ok. I also have a bottle of the '20 that I plan on trying later this week.
IMG_1292.jpeg
IMG_1294.jpeg

Opened a 90’ Spottswoode last night. PNP, wine was really light colored and fruit was faded. Paired with Flannery hangers. Second glass was better but this bottle has seen better days. One of only 2 old Spottswoode’s I have opened that weren’t in a good spot. On to the next

2018 Red Newt Cabernet Franc Glacier Ridge Vyd, Berserker Day purchase/discovery
Well crafted wine
Wasn’t prviously aware that Red Newt made red wines

This 2019 Tissot Singulier is good. Not sure quite as good as Marnes Blanches and Labet Trousseau. But it’s got just that right combo of cranberry crunch and spicy tannic bite.
19209428-5363-4EF5-8621-5D4B090374C9.jpeg

An Italian (Tuscan) friend (a chef/restaurateur/fellow wino) invited some of us over to one of his restaurants to try out some of his new dishes. He preferred that we not bring any very old wines; so, these two below were my contributions. The red I decanted for sediment and aeration in my cav for around 1&1/2 hours before returning to bottle to bring to the restaurant.
DD991CD9-351F-4626-9BD6-EC9972548469.jpeg

2007 Force Majeure Ciel du Cheval 98% Syrah 2% Viognier. This had 38 months in new French oak and the oak was still cloying and have serious doubts if it would ever integrate. Everyone else loved it and I served it with a leg of lamb.

A trio being prepped for birthday dinner.
20220727_180148.jpg

2014 Utopia Pinot Noir Utopia Vineyard Ribbon Ridge
This had a good bit of clove and cinnamon notes to it. Acidity was medium and tannin was well integrated. The color has started to fade and is now pale garnet.

2017 Browne Family Vineyards Merlot - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (7/28/2022)
Day 1: Medium purple hue. Up front this needs a decant as the oak was heavy. Now very integrated. Cherry, earth, spice, rose petals, plum and menthol. This is a very well-made wine and even better is the price at $16.99. 92 points
browne merlot.JPG

95FF138B-C84B-404E-92D8-43A6F488AE9F.jpeg
Championship Bottle Racing Gloves Willamette Valley Sparkling wine - col fondo bottle conditioned Chardonnay and Pinot Blanc with crown cap. Killer at the price point

1 Like

2018 Swanson Merlot - USA, California, Napa Valley (7/30/2022)
Day 1: Nice fruit featuring plum, blueberries and boysenberries, Underbrush, bell pepper, exotic spices, rose petals and a touch of wood. Complex and medium plus finish. For under $30 a stellar value. 91 points

For under $30 it works!
swanson merlot.JPG

1976 Ausone
Double decanted at the last minute before dinner because I thought the wine might be too delicate, at 46 years of age, to withstand prolonged airing; as it turns out this is no shrinking violet, presenting with a beautiful dark ruby color with only a slight wateriness at the rim to indicate its age; it is at first aloof, even austere, with a noticeable bitterness to the finish; it does unbend, eventually, emerging from its shell after several hours to present a bravura nose full of darkish red fruit, mingled with a touch of spice and earth; the palate is weaker, with a touch of senescent brown sugar and a bit of boniness from the structure starting to poke through the slowly receding flesh; all in all an impressive performance that does not give the lie to the myth around the Chateau; good plus but drink up

2014 Honig from a magnum. really good

2017 Sandlands Mataro San Benito County

Mataro is one of my favorite varietals. This went with two homemade pizzas, mushroom and pesto/potato.

The nose is mostly cherry. Medium acidity and soft but lingering tannins. This is not a complex wine but it is recognizably mataro, juicy, and delicious.