What bottle of wine did you open today? (Part 1)

2014 Honig from a magnum. really good

2017 Sandlands Mataro San Benito County

Mataro is one of my favorite varietals. This went with two homemade pizzas, mushroom and pesto/potato.

The nose is mostly cherry. Medium acidity and soft but lingering tannins. This is not a complex wine but it is recognizably mataro, juicy, and delicious.

2020 Domaine de la Pépière Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine 'Les Gras Moutons’
Bit of a dead ringer for Sauvignon Blanc in the beginning, with a sweet exoticism to the fruit that pairs with some light green, smoky nuances; falls off rather rapidly on the palate, leaving not a whole lot beyond some mineral notes that feel a bit lost; not the best we’ve had from Pepiere but we mostly bought it for the cute Gras Moutons label, so I suppose you could call us label drinkers; decent plus

2012 Ehlers Estate 1886. Primary fruit has transitioned and this is leaning towards secondary notes. A very nice cab and a beautiful bottle too by the way.

2006 Siro Pacenti PS Brunello di Montalcino Riserva
The wine had cedar and tobacco notes at the start, with herbal and floral flavors arriving later.

1 Like

Back in March K&L sold what looked like a huge consignment of older 80s/90s Napa cabs. I grabbed an 88 and 89 Duckhorn cabernet for $50 each. Drank the 89 a couple months ago and the 88 last night. Probably ended up being the best $100 I’ve spent on wine. Both extremely delicious, similar, uncomplex, in great shape, just smooth easy drinking cab in a perfect place.

1 Like

2016 Outpost Zin. Last vintage I bought of these with the winery sale and price increase. Still drinking real good, not as fruit forward as in its youth.

Pastora - Manzanilla Pasada en Rama, from Barbadillo. So good with this hot weather, refreshing but complex, dry and aged. Super recommended.

2021 Château d’Aqueria Tavel - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Tavel (8/5/2022)
Day 1: Finally a real Rose. Just got back from Walla Walla and even Cayuse did not deliver in the Rose category. This is real Rose! Super fragrant featuring strawberry, dust, minerals, spice, rose petals and rhubarb. Medium plus finish. Drinking this at room temperature and amazing. 92 points
Day 2: Trying this at various serving temps.
55 degrees: Sour cherry, spice, watermelon and dried twigs. Finish is weak at this temperature. 85 points
65 degrees: Better and more vibrant wine. Strawberry, minerals, dust, spice, rose petals, cherry and earth. Very complex wine and completely better warmer. 92 points
70 degrees: Similar to 65 degrees so that is my sweet spot for good Rose.
Recommendation: This wine for $20 is a no brainer purchase. (92 points)
1111111111111111.jpg

1997 Tenuta di Lilliano Anagallis IGT Colli della Toscana Centrale
80% Sangiovese, 15% Colorino, and 5% Merlot per the back label, as opposed to recent releases of Anagallis, which is now a Bdx blend.
This is a classy, fully mature, Sangiovese-based Super Tuscan. Very floral (roses and pink flowers) nose, with sour cherry, leather, spice cake, shoe polish, topsoil/peat, and tapenade scents. Medium-bodied, with soft tannins and attractive acidity. Tastes of mushrooms, sour cherries, cranberries, leather, damp earth, carnations, beef, eucalyptus, and blood oranges. Impressive length and poise. Excellent. Drink now.

2008 Verite La Joie

2004 Lokoya Mt. Veeder - In a great spot, mature but still plush
2017 Ulysse Collin Rosé de Saignée Les Maillons - Needed a decant.

2014 Cristal to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary, while in Barcelona. Brilliant Champagne.

2 Likes

Congrats, Ryan!

Wonderful place to be for an anniversary!

2017 Chateau Thivin Cote de Brouilly. With the evening meal on this gorgeous day in the 70’s. I picked up slight notes of briars and jammy fruit in my glass tonight, reminding me of Zinfandel a little bit. Nice wine and one of many nice wines that posts from WBers have introduced me to.
Muchas gracias a todos.
19D18759-FA4D-4172-B37B-374CCAF06694.jpeg

1 Like

2018 Januik Syrah Ciel du Cheval Vineyard - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Red Mountain (8/13/2022)
Day 1: Wood influence with red currants, spice and pepper. Not a good showing. 87 points
Day 2: Mild wood influence but reveals so much more featuring cherry, plum, spice, black pepper, earth and charcoal. Much more drinkable and for sure another stellar bottle. 92 points
3cf89cfb-a110-4dac-be74-af108d58638c.jpg

Nice. Those older Duckhorns can be gems.

2021 Bedrock Ode to Lulu. I haven’t had a lot of Bedrock, but this is a tasty, easy drinker. Made standing over a grill much more pleasant.

2010 Rollin Pernand Vergelesses ‘Fretilles’ (magnum)
Just a gorgeous showing. Lovely nose, peach and citrus on the palate, full and complex wine.

2016 Levet Cote Rotie “Maestria” - Very good but very young. I intended to bring the 2004 of this but had accidentally sent it to storage instead of this 2016.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after reaching the maximum limit of 10000 replies. Continue discussion at What bottle of wine did you open today? (Part 2).