What BEER are you drinking? (Part 2)

Just when I said there was no $ in craft lagers here my local place gives us rice lager…

Sometimes I like a malty, boozy, high ABV ale.

First Monkish. Excited!

3 Likes

Chocolate syrup

I’m taking this in a negative? It would be for me but I have a buddy that loves sweet pastry stouts.
I walked into a local shop the other day and they had a few of these @$75. What is normal retail?

Two weeks ago I got caught up on Treehouse, this weekend is Monkish.

1 Like

I traded for them, so unsure on retail price. I know the Deal With the Devil ones go for ~$100 on secondary, but I believe they retail at $50.

The style itself is pretty viscous and syrupy, and the flavor profile is jammed with chocolate, coconut and vanilla (at least this one).

Thanks Andrew, would love to hear your impressions of the others as you pop them.

We visited Anchorage Brewing in the late 90’s as we were drinking them at the time in MT. It felt exotic despite the fact the beer offerings were pedestrian then (most everybody’s were of course).

It’s fun to see them getting broad distro even here in Ohio.

I assume part of the markup is due to fighting grizzly bears for your allocation.

And it’s a winter release, so everything is dark outside. You’re fighting grizzly bears… in the dark.

Stupid pricing. My old shop in Seaside had some for visiting 1%ers from Seattle and Portland.

Good news is that the floor is falling out of the allocated beer market right now. Am seeing quite a few people unload on the local Facebook pages at 25%-50% of what things were going for a year ago. Only thing that seems to keep holding its value is Floodland, likely because Adam (owner) pays bounties on people that flip, and then he blacklists them.

Floodland is also fantastic trade bait - have picked up a couple of bottles of Michters 10 that way, which is a trade I’ll do any day. As long as you’re not extorting people and it’s going to legit fans, you’re ok.

1 Like

Local spot out of Störtebeker, slumming it now.

A friend just brought a pack of these to a yard party this weekend

Bought a 4-pack of the Goose Island 35th Anniversary Cuvee. It’s basically a Bourbon County Stout. They took various versions from various barrels and blended into a unique mixture. It’s big - thick, syrupy. Lots of coconut, vanilla, chocolate. Decadent. Clocks in at 14.7%, and you can feel the heat. Hopefully a little age will help it blend. Good but not great. It is what it is.

The wife loves this beer !

Cheers,

Bud

1 Like

North Park Beer Co. Back To The Phuture. TDH TIPA 10% ABV Hopped with Phantasm and Freestyle Farms Mega Mutueka, Citra, Citra Cryo, Citra Incognito and Freestyle Farms Nelson Sauvin. Pungent aromatics. Flavor profile offers juicy orange tangerine, hints of lime zest, crushed pineapple, Sauv Blanc skin, crisp white grape. Transitions mid palate to ripe peach, honeydew melon and passion fruit. Full, super soft and creamy with a long bittersweet drying finish, hides the ABV extremely well. Another world class effort from one of the best producers of this style.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

2 Likes

Revision Disco Ninja NE Style Hazy IPA 7% ABV. Picked up a 4pack at the brewery the other day. I’ve been off the hazy kick for a while but this has been one of my favorite’s from them. Juicy, fruity and dank.

Revision’s Description:
It’s a simple universal fact that ninjas are badass. You know what else is badass? Revision beer. Our buddies at Shoe Tree Brewing kicked around ideas with us to develop this tasty, tantalizing, karate chop in your freaking mouth. Kaleidoscopic nunchuck hits to the dome with Citra®, Galaxy®, Mosaic® and Amarillo®. Stealthily slaying your taste buds, one sip at a time.

2 Likes

Used to crush DN, then someone told me there was a lot of sugar in the beer secondary to their fermentation process.

Weaned myself off their beers.

I find that with a lot of hazy IPAs. Obviously the ones with lactose, but in general they’re low IBU and sometimes seem to claim much higher IBU than they are(?), and there still seems to be an “out hop you” contest with a lot of west coast IPAs. I love an IPA now and then, but I think those things turned me back to great crisp pilsners, lagers, and Belgian ales with interesting yeast strains, instead of the experimental beers with weird ingredients.

1 Like