What BEER are you drinking? (Part 1)

I loved this latest batch of Old School Players, total Mosaic berry bomb ! I went back and bought another four pack ! champagne.gif

Cheers,

Bud

North Park Beer Co. Tin Full Of Hops, TDH’d TIPA. 10.1% ABV. Hopped with Citra, Citra Incognito, Freestyle Farms Nelson Sauvin, Nelson CGX,and Hallertau Blanc. Yet another incredible collaboration this time with Tin Barn Brewing. The Nelson components really shine offering dieselly grape jam, gooseberry,passion fruit, and ripe sweet pineapple.Mid palate shows sweet tangerine and strawberry sorbet on a full soft creamy body that finishes long dry and citrusy bittersweet. This drinks more like a 7.5% IPA. Beautifully balanced. Next level stuff.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

1 Like

Agreed. Monkish 4 packs are usually in the $20 - $24 range. I think that’s the going rate these days for ultra-premium hazies, and I’m fine with that, so long as I like them. :slight_smile:

Agreed. I like it more than the previous batch. In particular, of the ones I listed above, I think Love Rise is absolutely stupendous. But, literally none of them are below excellent, for my preferences; I seem to recall you’re not that into Le Ipa, but that really doesn’t surprise me much. I dig If It Fits a lot, too, but that’s another relative lightweight, at 6.9%, so I’d hazard a guess that wouldn’t be as much to your liking as it is to mine.

I actually really enjoy Le IPA, but I admit that these days the majority of my lower ABV beers, 7% or less is with new school westies. If I had to pick between a 7% Monkish IPA or a 7% North Park West Coast IPA, I’m going North Park. Currently 50% of what I drink when drinking beer is west coast IPA’s mostly North Park and Green Cheek.

Cheers,

Bud

1 Like

Cool. Must have been someone else, then, who was saying they weren’t digging Le IPA.

I, too, try to keep my IPA consumption roughly 50/50 between hazies and westies; quite frankly, it probably leans a bit heavier towards westies because (1) they’re cheaper, (2) more available, and (3) generally more refreshing, which is often what I’m looking for when I go for a beer.

1 Like

If you haven’t had the pleasure of drinking a North Park westy we need to make that happen, Kelsey is so dialed in to the new school west coast style. Having not had any beer for almost two months my palate went through quite the reset and I find myself grabbing more clear beer these days !

Cheers,

Bud

1 Like

I can only imagine the palate reset after 2 mo w/o! I’m pretty sure I’ve had a North Park westie or two, but it’s been awhile. Both North Park and Pariah largely disappeared from my usual beer spot back when things started opening back up again; Pariah continues to be a bit more available than North Park, but, for the most part, ultra-premium craft at my store has returned to being mostly hyper-local with some too-old east coast stuff mixed-in.

1 Like

Monkish Brewing Co. Le IPA. IPA, 7.2% ABV. Hopped with Mosaic and Galaxy. From the nose through the front of the palate I’m being bombarded with candied berries. Mid palate shows ripe pineapple, peach and papaya, but make no doubt the star of the show is the Mosaic and how it plays so beautifully with the Galaxy hops. At 7.2% this is a beer you can sit down with and crush a couple easily. Le IPA is crisp and clean, with layers of delicious complex flavors. As it warms I’m getting massive sweet blueberry notes on the finish. Just a fantastic IPA.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

1 Like

^ - revisited the Le IPA and after my initial “review” where I didn’t think it was as good as some of the other Monkish beers. My mind is changed its great and I’m glad I didn’t give up on it.

2 Likes

Pulled this one out of the back. Good, but a little on the flat side.
17FD8E8E-29C8-4168-A7B9-91854897554B.jpeg

Oregon trip. Mandatory activity.
B002C4C7-1005-418A-B838-96094A6E37FE.jpeg

2 Likes

You don’t call, you don’t write?

The ways some hazies can change over the course of a few weeks is sometimes amazing.

IMG-0355.jpg
My wife made a trip to Portland this past weekend… [flirtysmile.gif]

Dood?

25556E76-AC6D-46BE-BB78-2D96C70EDB36.jpeg

1 Like

Both Lisa and I are alumni of Oregon State. This is an annual collaboration that Block 15 does with a brewery run by alums and the Fermentation Science department. Of course with Heater Allen involved, it had to be a lager!

1 Like

This is your first time being asked to step up? I bought the only two cans.

I think they’ve only been doing this a few years. At first they wanted folks who had degrees in Fermentation Science, and Lisa and my degrees are in other fields. We had to do a little coaching since this was a little out of their comfort zone.

This topic was automatically closed after reaching the maximum limit of 10000 replies. Continue discussion at What BEER are you drinking? (Part 2).