What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

“No, I’m a buffalo in Montana!”

6 Likes

I’ll check back in on the 2018 LL 1910 Block tomorrow (and maybe days after too) to see how it progresses. Based on earlier feedback, I’m not too hopeful, but time will tell…

Just added up my LL holdings. Surprisingly, I have 4 cases in years ranging from 2016 through 2019. Guess it’s time to drink up!

2 Likes

Per CT, I have 2 ‘19’s hiding somewhere, oh boy. Pulled out a ‘21 this evening, just so refreshing. Looking forward to the ‘22s.

1 Like

I’d get after it if you can my man! Maybe somewhat aggressively with the 16s, ha! They’re truly great wines when young and you catch em while they still have that extra gear…but something happens and they fade fast. No idea why…but they definitely do.

1 Like

Ok I’ll ask, what is this!?!

1 Like

Skip ahead to 53:15:

1 Like

Looking forward to your note on this

It’s their blend from the “best barrels.” Micro production and from this early take it’s got a serious Dry Creek backbone, but a lot more going on.

3 Likes

Still a bit off topic (sorry), but closing the loop here since this is where the Limerick Lane discussion originated. Day 2 - Next to no nose, but a little fruit started to peek through; still pretty harsh/not enjoyable and if I was not experimenting, definitely a candidate to pour down the drain; Day 3 - I forgot to taste; Day 4 - Surprisingly, noticeable improvement, more balanced/integrated and the harshness of the finish was finessed. Although still not winning any awards, it was was absolutely approachable and drinkable. This leads me to my question: Do Zinfandel dominant wines experience or enter into a ‘dumb stage’, say for instance, like Pinot Noir is known to do?

Regardless, there is no way, based on this bottle, that I could rationalize the CT93 rating [with the most recent (December 2022) rating of 95], WS92 or Jeb Dunnuck’s 96+ rating. All that said, the proposed drinking windows from these reviewers are “2022- 2030”, “Now through 2030” and “2022-2037”, respectively. Jake Bilbro also recommended taking 12-15 years. All of this leaves me wondering: Was I just too early on this one? Sadly, the only way to figure it out is to play the waiting game…and as noted by other posters here, risk possible deterioration from here. The quandary of every wine lover!!!

2 Likes

Ill save you the suspense…you were not too early, ha! Myself and plenty others here, unfortunately, learned that the hard way. Be happy that you caught it now and it was still, relatively, enjoyable.

Side note, i coravind a glass of 14 Bedrock LL next to the 13 LL last night (also coravind), and while there was definitle similarities, the 14 was a better wine. Still not a great wine or even really good for Bedrock standards, but better than the 13 which was not enjoyable, and frankly felt like it was completely shot. I dont think I’ll be buying any more LL in the future…which is ok because there’s so many other great options in the Bedrock stable :cheers:

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, Rich. It is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Just opened a 2018 Alta Vista Vineyard Late Harvest Gewürztraminer to go with homemade lemon meringue pie.

1 Like

A 2020 Schmiedt Road Zin opened 2 days ago and finished yesterday was full of juicy, bright red fruit. Lipsmackin’ good.

Nice! How was it?

It went great with the pie. Not too sweet. Looking forward to the remaining half tonight.

1 Like

2014 Hudson Vineyard South T’n’S Blocks Syrah - opened a couple of weeks ago but I remember the wine vividly. A lot in the aroma - plums, earth, game and more deep fruit clearly all there. Deep, plummy fruit evident throughout drinking after just a few minutes to open up in the glass. I get that savory note that makes so many Bedrock Syrahs I can recall delicious and beyond pure fruit and game for me. I decanted half the bottle to get some air in and enjoy fully open for the next couple of glasses. Great, silky texture, wow - and a long finish.

I highly recommend this, and personally enjoyed its depth and all it had to give even more than recent 2013 Exposition wines I had. I see absolutely no reason to wait if you have any. Great job, team BR!

1 Like

Popped open a 2021 Sonoma Cab after I got home from the pickup. I think getting 6 of them may have not been enough after having a glass.

• 2021 Bedrock Wine Co. Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma County - USA, California, Sonoma County (3/4/2023)
    Popped a bottle open while reconciling the Winter and Spring releases from the pick-up and playing cellar tetris.

TNs from a PnP. Pours an inky purple-ruby. A bit of a muted nose of early-season just barely ripened plums, spices, and herbs. Medium-heavy bodied, Pinot-like acidity, and really approachable with a little bit of air. Palate starts off with that just ripened plum taste followed by blackberries, mild herbs, and a dash of black pepper. Medium-heavy mouthcoating and puckering tannins bring in a bit of black tea with a ton of structure. Persisting tannic finish of minerals, black tea, black pepper, violets, and blackberry skin.

With a bit more air, I get a some strawberries on the palate and a bit of coffee on the finish.

Layered, deep, and approachable. This is all of the parts of Cab that I like without the bell-pepper, sweetness, and heavy mouthfeel that turns me off from so many Cabs. Glad I bought more this release. (93 points)

Posted from CellarTracker

4 Likes

15 Dolinsek - tasty and ready for business. Very zin-forward, red-fruited, bright acidity, but all in balance.

3 Likes

Now this is Zinfandel!

So I normally lean toward the field blends, but damn this 2015 Papera Ranch Heritage is smokin! I do not know what the composition is, but as I understand it, most of this vineyard is 100% Zin but one small block is mixed. I’m guessing Morgan goes for the mixed block but I bet the percentage of Zin in this wine is still very high. Or at least it shows it. Big brambly black wild fruits with a big pepper nose. Meaty, smoky, chewy, with a chalky sweet finish. I swear there is a twinge of green somewhere in that long finish - some stem inclusion?

A delicious wine.

(93 pts.)

5 Likes

Haven’t opened one of these yet. Thanks for the note. Here are Morgan’s release notes with the composition:

2015 Papera Ranch Heritage Wine

Russian River Valley

Who sprinkled the pixie-dust on this vineyard?! Ever since we started working with this vineyard in 2011 (thank you Mr. Officer!), it is easily one of the most consistent and delicious wines we make each year. Our unique block at the vineyard is composed of a dozen varieties, though Zinfandel (around 50%) and Carignan (around 40%) dominate the blend. Somehow this blend works, despite a location normally considered pretty cold for Carignan, and the combination of pure and voluptuous Russian River Zinfandel combined with savory and crunchy Carignan makes for something utterly satisfying. In the warm and early 2015 this site seemed to even kick it up a notch!

3 Likes