What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

BBQ night!

2016 Bedrock Oakville Farmhouse.

Do. Not. Open. This.

Still quite taut and angular. Hints of a beguiling nose by the time I got to the third glass, but a shame to try to coax something out of this right now.

Went back to the wide f’ng open 2015 Bedrock Papera!

12 Likes

Those bottles are sexy as hell though!!

Always stand out in the cellar!

Bottles look good, but I never had one that reached its drinkable stage yet.

1 Like
  • 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Noma Vineyard - USA, California, Central Valley, Lodi (3/8/2023)
    45 minutes of air, this is pure Zin fruit character. It’s very drinkable now, but there is a lot of acid beside the bramble. It’s very drinkable now, but if you’re drinking your 12’s and 13’s now and happy , hold off.

Posted from CellarTracker

3 Likes

Oops! I grabbed a bottle of 2022 Lulu instead of the 2021 I was intending to open. I am starting to wonder how often y’all pull the wrong vintage out.

• 2022 Bedrock Wine Co. Ode to Lulu Old Vine Rosé - USA, California (3/8/2023)
    Thought a pulled a 2021 bottle of Lulu, but noticed after opening this was the 2022.

Pretty medium orange-pink color. Nose of tart peaches, strawberries, a bit of cream, and flowers. This Lulu bites back! The first thing I noticed was an astringent bite on the mineral heavy finish. Light bodied, high acidity, mineral heavy, with laser-like focus. Palate of tart peachs, under-ripe strawberries, orange zest, and a hint candied tropical fruits. The the finish comes in with a sharp bite. A long palate cleansing finish of saline, limestone, flower petals, peach pits, underripe stonefruits, and a touch of black tea.

This was a happy mistake. I fear for everyone who bought the 3L boxes of this, it's going to disappear fast! (92 points)

1 Like

2017 Pato - drinking well on pop and pour, but still super primary on the fruit. It’s good enough but has a long way to go, so I’d give it a ton of air or just wait.

5 Likes

Also had a 2021 Shake Ridge Barbera last night. Excellent example of Amador County Barbera. Although if I had my way, I would take an Easton Barbera Palate and combine it with the Bedrock finish. :yum:

• 2021 Bedrock Wine Co. Barbera Shake Ridge Ranch - USA, California, Sierra Foothills, Amador County (3/8/2023)
    Decanted 2.5 hours. Dark opaque purple with a ruby tint. Floral, spicy, musty, plum, and cherry nose. Medium bodied, juicy, bright acidity, and well structured. Palate follows the nose, but with the fruits coming in first. Plush and Velcro like tannins. Long multi minute finish of plums, blackberries, rose petals, a bit of herbs, light minerals, orange peel, black pepper, and a bit of hazelnut.

This is very good and drinking great. I am sure this will age well, but I like my Barberas on the young and fruity side. The finish is just outstanding on this wine, but the main palate falls a bit short when compared to the finish. (93 points)

3 Likes

A bit of a drift here, but was just looking through my WineBid orders last night as I seem to have lost some cool wines that I bought. I seem to recall receiving them and now have no clue where I put them. What struck me was, I bought about 2 cases of Bedrock 2014-20 vintages from WineBid, and the prices were generally below current release. That tells me some people are buying tons of Bedrock during these really quality, and voluminous, releases, and then eventually realize that they have way too much Bedrock. I received 7 Bedrocks from WineBid yesterday, and then have a case coming in from Bedrock next week. Mine will, of course, be consumed! The benefits of daily drinking!

Another side note, I have also had alot of Bedrock this year, just drinks so well with casual mid-week dinners of almost all types. While the sweet spot on these wines vary from cuvee to cuvee, this last spate of drinking really confirms my impression from the start (i joined the list from the outset, thanks to a recommendation from this website!), that most of the SVDs need 5+ years to show best. The Oakville Farmhouse, more. The OV Zin, chug away, that stuff is great, but even it will show better with some time in the bottle. Now I will have that song in my vacuous head all day long!

I do not have much concern of some of these SVDs going 10-15+. Ravenswood sourced in the past from some of the same vineyards. Last two years I have had more than a case of a mixed reserve release from Joel, and the “hit” rate on these wines, even going back to the late 1980s, is pretty darn decent. I doubt I ever age my Bedrocks that long - heck, I might be dead - but it does help calibrate a bit where these wines may go. I feel the same way about Lore’s Sky Zins, a personal fave.

5 Likes

Well first off…i hope you find those missing bottles my man! Would someone have taken them?? Has Todd visited lately?? :wink:

And i completley agree with everything else that you said. These are just sooooo easy to reach for as they sound so damn good all the time and the pricepoints make em easy to pop on a whim. And you nailed it with the 5+ years / 10-15+. I get that you can drink them earlier and they are enjoyable…but they are COMPLETLEY different wines with age on them, and are well, well worth the wait (i promise).

Cheers bud - great post (except for the lost wine part. That sucks!)

3 Likes

‘18 OVZ. Opened 30 min before first sip, drank over 3hrs, some left for tomorrow. Quite good. Have 6 left

Opened my last 2014 Old Vine Zinfandel tonight. Nowhere near the end. Plenty of fruit, acidity and gritty tannins. Seemed to have a tad less spice maybe. These wines continue to outperform any reasonable expectations.

1 Like

A friend of mine just had a 2015 he found in his cellar and had the same reaction, was very surprised with how great it was.

2 Likes

Love hearing that fellas! Actually have a 2010 kicking around that i plan to open later this year (sons birth-year so ill prob crack it closer to his bday). We’ll see!

1 Like

I’m very interested to hear about that!

1 Like

I have one of those left as well. Might try to hold on to it for a bit.

1 Like
  • 2021 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Beeson Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Dry Creek Valley (3/11/2023)
    Decanted 3hrs. First impression was of the wines texture, it sort of creamy, almost like drinking milk. But in no way am I stating that as a pejorative, it was plenty fresh and flat out delicious. For a dry creek, this was surprisingly forward, ripe black cherry fruit, but it carried a medicinal edge that was very appealing. And yet, it’s a dry creek, plenty of backbone and structure which is felt on the back half and finish. A great vineyard addition to the bedrock portfolio! (93 points)
4 Likes

We opened one last night. Gave it 45 mins in the decanter and it could have used 90. Starts with a funky nose (Syrah like) but it mellows with time in the glass. Lot’s of black fruit, plum, structure and a solid backbone here. Tannins are not bad and the finish is good. I will wait at least another 6 months and maybe longer before trying another.

1 Like

2014 Evangelho, cherry and oak in this one, leaned toward the age worthy zin. Feels to me that this one still has a long way to go.

4 Likes

2016 Monte Rosso via Coravin.

Ruby center toward a pinkish edge, relatively clear.

Powerful perfumed nose. Big cherry and red berry fruit, orange peel, peppery spices, bramble and dusty old vine character.

Palate has bright mouthwatering high acidity, medium tannin, perceptible but not irritating med+ alcohol. Bright red fruit, spicy/peppery, licorice, and dusty earth. This is a super lifted and energetic Zin, I have not had any other Monte Rosso wines but the written descriptions line up nicely with how this comes across. I bought this recently so can’t say how it has developed since release, but this is drinking beautifully. That said it still tastes quite fresh and can probably go a long time from here.

Delicious!

3 Likes

Finished the ‘18 OVZ on day 3, definitely enjoyed it more on day 3. Will hold the rest for a bit

1 Like