What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

3-5 years is definitely my preference for zins. I’ve been trying hard to keep a 4-5 year window for most.

Had an 18’ Esola the other night along with an 18’ Evangelho and the Esola is really in a great spot. Think the Evangelho needs a little more time sideways to develop.

1 Like

I just picked up an O&F in the auction ended Sunday. About 30% below release including the buyers premium.

6 Likes

I picked up the 2018 O&F Palisades Petite Sirah for $30!! I couldn’t believe it when I saw it

4 Likes

2011 Bedrock Wine Co, Bedrock Heritage, Sonoma Valley. So I, admittedly, was not bullish on most of the 2011 Bedrocks and drank through the majority of them much earlier than I would most vintages. I just didn’t think there was any upside to most offerings, with the Bedrock/Bedrock being the one exception. That said…I’m pretty happy that I hung on to a few of these because this was great! Took a minute to open up (was a bit lean/ungiving at pnp) but it really fleshed out into a beautiful medium+ bodied mouthful of citrus-tinged purple fruits with a bit of a savory, tannic finish. Very structured and not quite as fruit forward as other vintages…but im getting that crazy orange-peel note that I love from this Vineyard more strongly than I can recall from any other year (LOVING that!). If the fruit can hang on, this should have a very long and pleasurable life ahead of it. Great stuff @bedrockmorgan and @underthewirewine !

10 Likes

Good to hear. I have one left and plan on drinking it sometime between now and 2025.

1 Like

I like it buddy! Sounds like a solid drinking window! :cheers:

Opened a 2019 Old Vine Zin tonight. With a little time in the glass, while it still seems young, this has it all - spice, bramble, red fruit, tannins. I can see this drinking well over the next decade and becoming the best Bedrock OVZ yet.

2 Likes

2012 Bedrock Bedrock Heritage

Wow, what a wine. Initially a bit hot on the nose, it took only a few minutes in the glass allowed it to show its stuff. Drinking perfectly for my palate. Impeccable balance, layered fruit and just a hint of secondary notes. Refreshing acidity. What more could you ask for??

5 Likes

As I sit and finish the '12 I opened yesterday, your comment about orange peel keeps ringing true. Well played!

1 Like

Love it! 2012 is probably my overall favorite Bedrock vintage. Morgan and Chris absolutley killed it!

2 Likes

Ahhh, thanks man! I’m definitley not the best at picking out specific notes in most wines, but that citrus/orange-peel thing is pretty consistent to me in Bedrock/ Bedrock. Cheers!

Opened an 18 Lorenzo’s last night. Bottle got drunk way too fast. Really enjoying these Bedrock’s as they get past year 4, unfortunately my bottle stash of them is also depleting quickly.

2 Likes

Decided to crack in to some of the auction winnings I’ve had over the last year. I would never have guessed this was from Lodi.

• 2016 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Schmiedt Road - USA, California, Central Valley, Lodi (1/12/2023)
    Purchased at auction. Decanted for about 2 hours, but probably didn’t need it. Medium dark purple-garnet in color. First thing that hits me on the nose is a bit of rubber band. Then I get a classical brambly zin nose and spices.

Medium light bodied, medium high acid, and almost Pinot like. Tart dark cherries, raspberries, currants, spiced orange peel, a bit of blackberries, light spices driven by clove/nutmeg/black pepper comprise the palate. Nicely structure from the tannins. Long finish of that spiced orange peel, black tea, black pepper and a bit of persisting flower petals.

Glad I won a few bottles of this at auction. It feels like this is approaching the end of the drinking window I prefer. (91 points)

Posted from CellarTracker

4 Likes

I had almost the exact same flight Thanksgiving weekend. The Cab was Monte Rosso, though. No slouch!

Decided to pop a '21 Dolinsek last night in the name of science. For me, this was very similar to the Beeson I tried right off the truck last fall: aromatics are already off the charts but not very expressive on the palate, at least in comparison to the nose. I’ll be holding my other bottle for 3 years at least.

2 Likes

Tucked my Beeson’s away for a few years. How did you like it?

4 Likes

I would describe it exactly as I described the Dolinsek - smelled amazing, didn’t taste like much. Though, a few others opened bottles a couple of months later than I did and most of those notes were very positive and it sounded much more expressive than mine.

2 Likes

Always weird to open a bottle, take a sip and the wine is flavorless like. This is why I like to get some air on my wine in glass for at least 45 minutes before drinking anything young.

2 Likes

Opened Beeson this weekend and would agree with Jeff on giving it a more air now. Initial decant for about 45 and was a little flat on the palate. Another 45 after pouring and it was in great shape.

1 Like

Both of these are drinking beautifully with a 30-45 min decant.

3 Likes