What 2008 Champagne Are You Buying?

If you had any other avatar, I would be convinced this is a joke. Ha!

Whatever you do, don’t buy the Paul Bara or Gimmonet '08 Special Clubs. Total garbage.

No major holdings of any, but I have a few bottles of: Pierre Peters Chetillions, Vilmart Coeur de Cuvee, Cristal, Dom, La Grande Annee, Diebolt-Vallois Fleur de Passion & Delamotte. And a few Krug 164, if that counts. The only thing I’m waiting for is Comtes, sad to see the price on Egly - not going to do it.

Yea I did see that posted here. FWIW I asked the Krug rep at a champagne tasting last month and he could neither confirm nor deny but said he would be surprised if the vintage isn’t declared.

Noticed that there was no mention of Billecart.

I am a novice when it comes to champagne, but I have always enjoyed their rose, and had a 2002 reserve that was wonderful.

Whats the general reputation on them? Do they possess a decent QPR? Also, any word on them releasing a 2008 vintage?

Another LVMH winemaker confirmed to a friend that there would not be any 2008 Krug.

Sarcasm?

If you have 10 cases of DP, what is your plan with Comtes?

I’ll probably buy some but I’m not so big a fan of it, my wife likes it so we’ll probably put away a case.

I bought 34 different champagnes from 2008, but mostly one or two bottles of any one wine. The exceptions:

• Case+ purchases of Cristal, Dom Perignon, and Vilmart Coeur de Cuvée.

• Near case purchases of Pierre Peters Chetillon and Philipponnat 1522

• Five bottles of Philipponnat Clos des Goisses

• Two Pol Roger Winston Churchill, Bollinger La Grande Année, Vilmart GCdO, and Veuve Cliquot La Grande Dame.

I’ve tried the Vilmart CdC, Cristal, Dom and Veuve LGD. The DP and Vilmart Coeur are stunning already and two of my WsOTY. I expect to be rhapsodic about the Cristal in time. While I enjoyed the LGD, to my palate it wasn’t at the level of the other tête du cuvées.

Cheers,
Warren

Same as everyone else here although I buy less wine generally than I used to. I have 2-3 btls each of Cristal, Roederer Vintage (steal), Pol Roger Rose, Krug 164 (and I don’t even like Krug very much and might sell this), Vilmart GCdO, Dom. Will almost certainly buy Comtes.

No 2008 Krug will be a bummer but at least we have the 2008 based 164 and plenty of other options from the vintage.

Here is my note from a couple of months ago. Take it with a grain of salt- I am extremely picky about champagne and really do not personally like them when they have what I consider excessive sweetness and or fat. Does not change the overall quality- is more a matter of personal perception. For example, I am not a fan of 2002 personally- but will concede it is a great vintage and long distance runner.

8/16/2019 - I like this wine: NR (Edit)
light bright champagne color, lovely pear and apple tones on the nose, on the palate open and elegant with a very fine white mousse, good length, over time it opened admirably showing moderate body and some light bread notes on the nose, on the mid-palate there is a young and concentrated core of orchard and citrus fruits that shows the muscle of the vintage but is also a bit sweeter than expected and not quite to my tastes, as with the 2008 vintage Pol Roger this is a very good wine but I have a sense that the powerful and- for my palate- overly sweet core may cost it some subtle expressiveness in time, by any standard this is an impressive champagne, but I personally prefer the 2004 and given the greatness of 2008 at so many addresses this is not quite as convincing at this time as I had anticipated.

()+?, 2025-2040+

No 2008 and no 2012 vintage Krug is ridiculous given the market position they are trying to assert for themselves. One wonders if the decisions that led to this would have been made under the prior family ownership.

I plead the 5th.

:wink:

Not out yet, but based on my visit to the domaine in March, they will be spectacular.

The Cristal is utterly brilliant, and while it needs a few years, it is perhaps one of the most exciting Champagnes I have ever tasted. Nothing I have tasted from the vintage comes close, so I will allocate my dollars to this.

However, I suspect will also grab some Taittinger Comtes when it is released.

I posted a note on the 2008 Billecart Extra Brut. Very good wine. Nice balance of richness, yeast, spice, citrus, and minerality. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I think it is very much worth seeking out, especially if you can find it for under $100.

1 Like

Anyone buying any Rose?

Has anyone tried the Henriot 2008 yet? I’m enjoying their NV Souverain at the moment, but not sure how the millésimé is.