What 2008 Champagne Are You Buying?

Best “08” for me is krug 164.

Agreed. In my lifetime, I think the 4 great vintages have been 1982, 1985, 1996 and 2008. 2002 probably belongs on that list too but the wines are bit too fat and opulent for my tastes though they will be long distance runners. 2012 may deserve a place at the table as well- let’s see what the big boys are like when released. In the grower realm, plenty of 2012s to love.

As for the original question, I am deepest on Dom Perignon, Philipponnat and Guy Larmandier in 2008. Taittinger may be a contender once I can taste the Comtes (and assuming the attempted massive price jump with 2007 is not attempted again). Cristal was outstanding too, but just not to my personal liking. The Roederer 08s- Vintage Brut, Rose and Blanc de Blancs- are outstanding. Very much worth a look if you can still find them. 08 Taittinger Millesime is another head-turner, though largely gone from the market by now. Worth a search.

Vilmart, Philipponnat, Dom, Krug 164, plus will buy Taittinger CDC as many others have opined. I’d recommend looking at all the vintage Philopponnat wines, not just the CDG. The Mareuil-sur-Ay is fantastic.

Most frustrating for me is the staggered release cycles of Champagne. Taittinger not out yet, but the smaller/grower wine makers are not just out of the market but out for many years. Unless you only like the big marks, you’ve already missed the vintage. As a recent convert, I’m really sad to have missed, eg. Agrapart, Chartogne-Taillet, Cedric Bouchard, and Vilmart GCdO.

I find this interesting. A glass of 08 VC Grand Dame last week was lacking in elegance. An NV orange label with a few years of age achieves the same purpose as an aperitif. I bought a couple of the 08 vintage veuve (not LGD) and will see how that does in 3-5 years. Their style is so astringent and linear, and I prefer broader, rounder champagnes. In that light, the 08 Bollinger LGA is absolute magic. It has bready notes and baked pear like you wouldn’t believe. Impeccably balanced

I had 08 Dom beside 08 Cristal (last year, right on release) and preferred the Dom in youth. Cristal was crisp and LASER focused with great purity, but the Dom was straight up delicious out of the bottle. Cristal may be longer lived, but I chose to keep my glass full with Dom on this particular day.

I have a few bottles of 08 LGA and Dom in the cellar and won’t touch for 5-10. I’m also a buyer of 08 CdC when it releases, hopefully <$130.

For 08 I’m deepest in dom (>10 cases and still buying), cristal, veuve, and a smattering of other stuff like chetillons, vilmart cdc, bollinger ga, pol roger brut and swc, legras rsv, diebolt Vallois fleur de passion, but >95% in the first 3 which i bought in multi case quantities. Buying 08 champagne is like doubling down on an 11. Regret not buying more 96s when I had a chance. Costco had 96 dom by the pallet back in the day for ~90.

Any current sightings of 08 375s from any of these producers?

1 Like

I purchased heavily in this vintage. Here is what I’ve bought so far:

2008 Alain Thienot Champagne Brut Millésimé
2008 Michel Gonet Champagne Grand Cru Cuvée Prestige Blanc de Blancs
2008 Launois Pere et Fils Champagne Grand Cru Special Club Blanc de Blancs
2008 Launois Pere et Fils Champagne Grand Cru Brut Millésimé
2008 Gaston Chiquet Champagne Special Club Brut
2008 J-M Seleque Champagne Partition
2008 René Geoffroy Champagne Empreinte Brut Premier Cru (
2008 D. Henriet-Bazin Champagne Grand Cru Brut Millésimé
2008 J. Lassalle Champagne Premier Cru Cuvée Angeline
2008 José Michel & Fils Champagne Special Club
2008 Roland Champion Champagne Grand Cru Special Club
2008 Franck Bonville Champagne Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs Brut Millésimé
2008 Ariston Aspasie Champagne Brut Millésimé
2008 Grongnet Champagne Special Club
2008 Larmandier-Bernier Champagne Terre de Vertus Premier Cru
2008 Lancelot-Pienne Champagne Grand Cru Cuvée Marie Lancelot
2008 Lancelot-Pienne Champagne Grand Cru Cuvée Perceval
2008 Pierre Gimonnet & Fils Champagne Premier Cru Cuvée Gastronome Blanc de Blancs Brut
2008 Demière-Ansiot Champagne Grand Cru Brut Blanc de Blancs Millésime
2008 G. Tribaut Champagne Premier Cru Brut
2008 Moussé Fils Champagne Brut Millésimé
2008 Moussé Fils Champagne Special Club Cuisles

Also tasted another dozen or so wines including many of the larger houses.

VM

Wow! Can’t keep up with you ballers! I’ve bought Dom, Cristal and Phillipponnat CDG but only a few bottles of each. Wish I could afford to buy a case!

I’ve bought 08 Dom, 08 Cristal, and Krug 164 in some quantity (at least for me; I’ve never bought more than a case of anything). Krug 164 is probably my favorite of the three. Additionally, the 08 Vilmart Coeur de Cuvee is phenomenal and I really wish I’d bought more that just a few bottles.

I tried a bottle of the 2008 Dom and found it very good, nice complexity and cut, while being more or less open for business now (some purists might disagree). But a real crowd pleaser at this stage…

I tried the 2008 Agrapart Avizoises in 2016, and that was stunning, although also hard to even drink because its searing acidity and youth. But what a wine, sold me on the 2008 vintage right there…

A LOT. It’s our wedding year and given the quality of the vintage, we went very long. CT currently says 211 bottles of 71 wines, and I’m sure I’ll find a few more yet.

I like to joke to my wife that we gauge our love by the amount of Champagne in the cellar. Judging my her level of enablement, I’m not sure if she thinks it’s a joke. champagne.gif flirtysmile

Leading to the future conversation:

-Honey, let’s have some champagne with dinner tonight.

-What, don’t you love me anymore?

One of the few lines of yours I just have to disagree with. I thought the LGD was good, but perhaps not the best value given what else is out there. I had it one someone else’s dime, but it’s like $170 a Total Wine in Dallas. I’m not sure it’s worth the buy at that price or even around that price.

As for the vintage Veuves, I found both the 2008s, the brut and rose, to be rather serious disappointments. I did not find either particularly smooth, complex, or well integrated and posted notes of both here.

If I was going to spend my money on a Veuve wine, I would buy the Extra Brut Extra Old. I found the Extra Brut Extra Old to be a level or two above the vintage wines, and nearly on par or there with LGD.

Yeah, so far with our purchasing rate, that hasn’t been a problem. She’s an enabler as I said. But at some point, that inflection point occurs for sure. But hopefully both us and the Champagne will be gracefully aged at that point :slight_smile:

Oh, and her fave is LGD, so we’re nicely stocked on that. And paid WAY less than $170.

Anyone try the Pol Roger Winston

2008 Pol Roger Sir Winston Churchill - only my second time having this vintage of SWC. Toasty aromas with yellow citrus and light floral notes. Rich palate with great acidity. Drinks extremely well already but I suspect it will stay that way for twenty plus years. Staggering minus

Unfortunately, there was a significant price increase.

2008 Dom.

Cristal, Dom, Bonville Belles Voyes, Launois Special Club, Comtes when it is released, possibly Krug if it is released. Trying to get a jump on the grower 2012s.

I see you can get it on K&L for like $140. Still not sure I’m game at that price, but it’s better than $170 where I am firmly out.

No vintage 2008 Krug, according to AG.